Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 15:04   #16

Re: Chrysler 26 sailboat

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_175643.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	150528Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_175649.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	150529Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_175658.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	150530Click image for larger version

Name:	20170623_175705.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	150531

First 2 pictures are port side second two are starboard.
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 09:24   #17

After watching some videos and reading many posts, I am confused about the furler drum. Mine is empty with the sail furled. Should the drum be empty or full when the sail is furled? Or does it depend on make and model? Also the two lines that are wrapped around the sail should be the sheets if I understand correctly. One of the pictures from the starboard side has a black rope running from the bottom of the drum. Is that what operates the furler?

Still trying to get out one last knot so I can replace the main. I won't be on the boat again until tomorrow.

Tomorrows game plan is to get to the boat around noon. Finish untying the knot in the main. Replace main. Try to figure out the furling system. Guy I bought the boat from knows less about sailboats than I do. He didn't put the main away over the winter and it got shredded. So, I can't ask him for help. Also, I plan to inflate the dinghy and "wash" the exterior hull. Meaning scrub with a brush using the water from the river. No soap at this point. I also need to clean the upper decks. I need to clean and oil the teak at some point as well. Before I clean and oil the teak, I need to re caulk all the portholes. They trickle during heavy rain. Barely noticeable drips.

I ran into the guy he purchased it from. He got it for free. Took the outboard and racing sails and sold the hull with the 2 mains and the jib. He happens to be a power boater and doesn't know anything about sailing. He says I can buy the racing sails and spinnaker poles for $300. I got his business card. he also said I have a very rare C26. 1 of less than 400 fixed keel and original red hull. I don't know how to research that information so I don't know if it's accurate or not.
Old 24-06-2017, 17:21   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

So now you know why we call it Tipsy!
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 18:02   #19

Yes, lol. I started laughing when it started. You aren't kidding. Feels like it's going to tip over for real. Is it because it is a deck stepped mast and not a keel stepped mast?
Old 25-06-2017, 11:12   #20

What do I need to know about solar setups? I found a 45 watt with a group 27 battery. Comes with charge controller and everything. I also found a 230 watt panel for $160. That would give me 275 watts. I know I will need at least one other battery. Do I need anything else? Can I mix panels from different manufacturers? Is 275 watts to much for a 26 ft boat? I eventually want to have a mini fridge and a mini chest freezer. The fridge draws 92 watts and the freezer 128. Future plans include motoring down part of the great loop into the gulf this fall. Maybe sail around the keys for a bit until it's nice enough to come back and finish the great loopback into Lake Erie next summer. Or maybe somewhere else entirely. I still need to figure out how much power I will be using.
Old 22-09-2017, 14:15   #21

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'

Hello, I purchased my first sailboat just this week and it is a 1979 Chrysler 26 fixed keel as well! The boat is in great shape, and was manufactured right here in Plano TX where I sit as I work. I am originally from Ohio and have boated Lake Erie as well. Here in Dallas my new boat sits on Lake Grapevine.

From my small amount of experience with the boat in this 1 week, I believe the hole under the stairs is just for bilge access. My boat came with a decorative spanish tile as a cover for the hole.

I am working on installing some upgrades and freshening up my vessel as well.
I want to install some more batteries to juice up at the dock to run more lights and a stereo while we are out on the lake and also for possible overnights on the boat with my wife.

I realize you made this post a few months ago, how are things going with your Chrysler now?
Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 15:14   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

They're initially tender due to the shape of the hull, along with their being a bit narrow for their length, so that they're legally trailerable. And of course the ballast in them isn't exactly down low, especially in the swing keel version.

That said, they're neat boats. Spent some of the best sailing of my youth on ours. And my brother & I Loved that aft bunk. It was like our own private cave or fort, & it's good for everyone to have their own private space on a boat. Even if it's tiny. Helps morale a lot.

Enjoy!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 16:26   #23

Furler drum should be full of line before you put the jib on. When you pull the line out that will roll in your sail.

For a safe boat stove I recommend the one burner Origo $211 on eBay.

Attachment 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5916.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	156528  
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 04:38   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Livinchi.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 09:55   #25

Boat: 1979 Chrysler 26'

Thank you guys for the welcome.

My wife and I took the Chrysler out on Wednesday here for the first time by ourselves and it was quite the little adventure, considering we didn't even make it out of the marina!

The winds were considerably strong that day as well as gusty. We were not planning on sailing, I really just wanted to take our new sailboat into the open water and practice maneuverability for some time with the the outboard and rudder, maybe anchor for a swim and then come back. Basically upon backing the boat out of the slip the bow was blow downwind which was the wrong way to get out of the marina and towards a dead end filled with docked boats!

My wife was on the bow for weight and had the pole to push off, once she realized we were pointed the wrong way she looked back and said "what now?" I remembered rule #1 which is stay calm and don't panic, so I said "It's ok, we will just keep it going this way and turn all the way around." I then planned to do a 270 degree clockwise spin with alternating forward and reverse thrusts.

Basically the wind was too strong, every time the boat would turn more broadside to the wind the bow would get blow back down. I had very little control or power in reverse. At this point the wife was glancing back with more concern and my hands were shaking on the controls! It was looking more like our first voyage would end in damaged boats, a possible insurance claim, and embarrassment.

We were running out of room, blowing towards the dead end of the marina, there were no open slips but there was about 30' of dock for a seating area parallel to us that I managed to move the boat over to without hitting anything! I stepped off, and we tied up. PHEWWWWWWW!

The wife went to look for help from somebody at the marina but we were the only ones around. After roughly 40 minutes of waiting, a gentleman came who was willing to help. My nerves were shot and I was hoping he would just drive the boat back into the slip for us! He also did not feel comfortable, and even questioned if my 9.8 HP outboard could push the 26' boat back upwind to the slip...

We got the boat turned around by tying to the bow and letting the stern drift back in the wind while we walked the bow up the dock we stopped at. I hopped back in and started her up, the engine moved her upwind with little effort and we pulled back into the slip while my wife threw our helper a line. Safe and sound right? Nope not there yet!

After our stressful adventure traveling 50 yards and back, my wife made the poor decision to attempt to jump from the boat to the dock as we drifted apart from it - SPLASH! in goes the wife... as our new friend helping us pulled her out of the water, her dress lifted up and he was treated to quite the view as well! Just a tip to add to the cash tip we gave him for his assistance helping us survive our first attempt at taking out our new boat!

I now realize what I did was foolish, we should not have chosen such a windy day and should have practiced entering and exiting the slip/marina with somebody with experience around first. But hey, you have to start somewhere so we just went for it!
Livinchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 13:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
I finally purchased a sailboat. It's a 1979 C26
How are you liking your boat these days? Has it turned out to be a good purchase?
fritz3000g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat