Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 21:10   #1

Boat: S2 11.0
Check out Miami boat for me?

I saw a thread here in which someone suggested having a fellow CFer check out a boat on behalf of another member. This would be for a situation when someone is considering buying a boat that's located far from home. Has anyone had experience with this? I live in VA and am interested in a boat currently located near Miami, FL. Rather than spend hundreds to do an initial inspection in person I'm thinking of finding someone reasonably knowledgeable in that area to check it out for me. Of course that person wouldn't be able to determine whether I'd like the boat. However, they would be able to tell me if there are obvious, serious issues that might cause me to lose interest. For example, if there's a lot of oil under the engine, evidence of a soft deck, water stains in the cabin, or similar problems that person could save me from wasting time and money to see a dog of a boat. If the person looking at the boat doesn't find significant problems I would then perform my own inspection. Anyone in Miami interested in doing this?
FruiVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:25   #2

Boat: Rhodes 32
Re: Check out Miami boat for me?

If it is a brokerage boat, then I might be able to do it. I often take photos and send back a + / - sheet for clients. I'll probably be in North Miami manana. RJ
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37   #3

I should mention that I am not looking to engage a buyer-broker. I'm looking for a regular CFer who might happen to be in the area and wouldn't mind doing a quick walk-around and sharing his/her impressions. However, I could throw a few dollars his/her way via Paypal to cover gas and lunch. If that is acceptable (Richard?) then please PM me.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37   #4

Got a PM that suggested I might want to clarify "a few dollars". I am willing to pay $75 for someone who is reasonably knowledgeable about sail boats to check out a boat in Ft. Lauderdale on my behalf. I'd be looking for a complete walk-through with an email of what is discovered, along with some photos of things that might be of concern (if anything). To reiterate: I'm not looking to engage a buyer-broker, just seeking a local CFer who might be looking for a way to kill an hour and make a few bucks. Any takers?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29   #5
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita View Post
Got a PM that suggested I might want to clarify "a few dollars". I am willing to pay $75 for someone who is reasonably knowledgeable about sail boats to check out a boat in Ft. Lauderdale on my behalf. I'd be looking for a complete walk-through with an email of what is discovered, along with some photos of things that might be of concern (if anything). To reiterate: I'm not looking to engage a buyer-broker, just seeking a local CFer who might be looking for a way to kill an hour and make a few bucks. Any takers?
The individual who is helping me refit my boat in Ft. Lauderdale is a professional that has forgotten more about boats then I will ever know. He guided me in the purchase of my Slocum 37 after he advised me to forego three other possibilities.

But his services are not free. $50/hr plus travel expenses which shouldn't be much since he lives in Ft. Lauderdale. If interested I can hook you up.

RT
PS BTW it will be the best $50/hr. you will ever spend. He knows his ****..
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:40   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I've got some free time towards the middle to the end of next week. If you'd like you can PM me for my cell number.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:43   #7

If tellie can not do it maybe I can
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59   #8

Boat: Rhodes 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruiVita
I'll do it as a CF'er. I might already have been on the boat or need to look at her for another client. Or maybe we should all meet up and have a good time...lunch at the Briny Pub afterwards? RJ
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 16:01   #9

Thanks for all the offers. Tellie checked her out for me and provided enough detailed photos and info that I was able to make an informed decision. The boat was suspect in several areas so I bailed. Well worth the expense and I highly recommend Tellie for anyone considering having an inspection done. Not a survey but pretty thorough.