Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2013, 02:57   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Arrow Cheap Yachts and Projects for sale / for free!

Following on from Madgunny's recent post in the Refurb & Refit thread thought it might be worthwhile for a seperate thread to collect info on Cheap / Project Monos for sale (or for free). The similar one for Cheap Multis and Projects seems to have life in it:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cts-87193.html

The idea being that as folks stumble accross stuff (not simply Vendors - although welcome) they post up the details / a link (and ideally also an "interesting" picture or 2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgunny View Post
so of all the sailors and other armchair wannabes( myself included) there has got to be a large collection of boats out there that fall into the: if I only had the time to fix it" category. you know, all those boats the members run across for free or cheap that need lots of work, but can be safely restored by the DIYers. so lets hear about them. share the wealth guys( and gals), tell everyone about the boats you know about and would like to have but just don't have the time/cash to take it on
This thread is not about debating the merits of taking on a Project!, that for each to decide. If anything to say on the subject then start yer own thread and if anything to contribute have a look at the Refurb thread:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eas-73045.html

I would heartily recomend that anyone thinking of taking on a Project Boat (or simply one that is very cheap and "only" requires "a bit of TLC" ) wade through the above thread. But for those who can't be bothered ...........long story short - think very carefully before leaping! (about the specific boat and on what Skills, Time and Cash you bring to the table - and be brutally honest with yourself).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 03:55   #2

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31
Re: Cheap Yachts and Projects for sale / for free!

32' Endevor $4000 "Head Honcho" on the hard @ Steadmns boatyard Key West, Fl. Check Craigs List for Fl. Keys. Saw this here, also many interesting boats of all kinds show up here.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 04:06   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The words, Cheap and Yachts are mutually exclusive. The reality is, salty sea climate shortens the life of anything that gets in contact with. If you're going to start a boat project, look for a boat that is less than 10 years old; preferably, less than 5 years old. I lived on the Mediterranean sea since I was a few months old. As I became a teenager, it was "my assignment" to remove rust and paint everything affected by sea spray. Electronics were not immune either; corrosion set in on many of the boards, thus affecting their performance.
Maintenance, upkeep and rebuilding of a boat project require a lot of physical energy and very deep pockets. Jot your plans down on paper; include replacement cost and estimated time to be spent to complete each project. When all is said, done and calculated, you'll get back to either buying a 5-year old boat or a brand new one. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 04:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cheap Yachts and Projects for sale / for free!

Teknav.... all very well for those with deep pockets the 'no more than 10yrs, less than 5yrs is better..'
But for those with shallow pockets the 'fixer upper' works just fine in most case's...
In fact I personally know folk who are scattered around the world on fixer uppers.. and they get the.. 'You sailed from where in that...?'
Horse's for course's mate...
You take the High road and I'll take the Low road...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 06:15   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

San Juan 24 Sailboat

1977 San Juan 24 sail boat without motor. I bought it as a project and have not been able to work on it. The hull is sound and in good shape. Rigging and sails seem to be complete but may need work, I have never stepped the mast. Upholstery will need new zippers at least. It will need hull and deck paint. All of the wooden pieces on the deck were in bad shape, I built new pieces out of mahogany and urethaned them, but have not remounted them. The trailer is not included in the price but delivery can be discussed as well as moving the boat and cradle to another trailer. I can take and send more pictures if desired. Please contact by email.

I would like to sell it, but I am open to trades. Let me know what you have.

67jvd-3623648433@sale.craigslist.org
ok Heres the original Link:
San Juan 24 Sailboat

tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 07:29   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

This thread is not about debating the merits of taking on a Project!, that for each to decide. If anything to say on the subject then start yer own thread and if anything to contribute have a look at the Refurb thread:-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eas-73045.html
No names , but as per the above, please debate the merits (and otherwise!) of Project Boats somewhere else ....this thread simply about collecting boats / leads
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 13:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Following on from Madgunny's recent post in the Refurb & Refit thread thought it might be worthwhile for a seperate thread to collect info on Cheap / Project Monos for sale (or for free).
Owner says it sort of sank in fresh water, but the price is low:

1974 morgan out island sailboat for sale in Texas
Old 26-04-2013, 13:50   #8

I don't know if its cheap, $10K

1960 Pearson Pearson Triton sailboat for sale in Texas
Old 26-04-2013, 13:56   #9

This one is 9K

1983 Irwin 31 sailboat for sale in Texas

Sorry for so many posts, I'll stop. Just wishing
Old 26-04-2013, 14:08   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
The words, Cheap and Yachts are mutually exclusive. The reality is, salty sea climate shortens the life of anything that gets in contact with. If you're going to start a boat project, look for a boat that is less than 10 years old; preferably, less than 5 years old. I lived on the Mediterranean sea since I was a few months old. As I became a teenager, it was "my assignment" to remove rust and paint everything affected by sea spray. Electronics were not immune either; corrosion set in on many of the boards, thus affecting their performance.
Maintenance, upkeep and rebuilding of a boat project require a lot of physical energy and very deep pockets. Jot your plans down on paper; include replacement cost and estimated time to be spent to complete each project. When all is said, done and calculated, you'll get back to either buying a 5-year old boat or a brand new one. Mauritz
Gee, wish I had known these words of wisdom before setting out around the world. I would have just found the best part of a million dollars to get a new boat of the quality of our Bristol. Apparently a lot of other people didn't get the message either. The median age of the monohulls we met circumnavigating is probably close to 25. We met several people going RTW on boats that were older than they were and not having any more problems than those on boats from this century. Worst of all was a ten year old 55' footer worth much more than a million when new that was on its fourth mass.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

I was sorely tempted by this one, a lot of work, but nothing really structural. I just don't have enough time

50' ketch. Glass. Ctr. Cockpit Project

50ft GRP ketch - 17,500

If anyone knows of a 40 to 50 ft grp or steel center cockpit ketch, in close to sail away condition, and potentially seaworthy enough to cross oceans, please pm me. Location - anywhere in the world.
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

maersi, we have a 38-40' steel hulled sailboat in our yard. She passed an ultrasound but has deck, stanchion and interior issues. She's black with red stripes and not pleasing to the eye....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12   #13

1984 Hunter 25.5 Sailboat

He dropped the price to 700, needs a trailer and electrical
Old 04-05-2013, 17:06   #14

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Owner says it sort of sank in fresh water, but the price is low:

1974 morgan out island sailboat for sale in Texas
Sometimes he has this boat listed for $5000, sometimes $6000, depending on what site. Usually, it is less on Sail Texas.
Right now, he has it listed on Craigslist for $24,000 Morgan Out Island (with custom trailer)

I don't even know if it's real!
Old 04-05-2013, 18:33   #15

Boat: beneteau OC 352

Cooper Capital Specialty Salvage

I scored my 99 beneteau 352 from these guys.. spent the last cpl months fixing her up and ready for the water.
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, project, sale