Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 21:43   #1

CE Certifications

All,

I've seen boats with CE certifications without a limit on crew, (Elan E4, Tartan 34, just rated as an "A"), and other boats with limits (Beneteau 34, Jeanneau 349, rated as A6). Is this a distinction without meaning, or is the Elan/Tartan more seaworthy than the Beneteau? I've searched Google and this forum, but it's a hard search to craft. Any help would be appreciated.
sbaglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 02:54   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: CE Certifications

There are boats with B CE certifications like ovni that have circumnavigate a lot of times .
CE certification is not a proof of a boats sea worthiness through its a good indicator.

The crew number should have to do more with storage of supplies and boats ballast weight.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:16   #3

Thanks, and I realize that many people have varying opinions on the significance of CE certifications. But my question is, at least within the CE regime, does a boat not having a crew limit mean something different than a boat with that restriction in place.
sbaglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 15:49   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I am not saying that the CE certification is not significant , as i said above indicating the number of the crew or persons on boars has 2 reasons:
1) Privately owned boat : You know exactly how many people you can have on board to keep the boat seaworthy this is usually calculated from the weight of the person , extra weight of luggage and the boat food storage and water storage ability (the exact numbers are on the boats TAB that state the CE)

2) Commercial Sailboats : It give the chance to charter business that make daysails in protected waters to have a B12 or C16 CE allowing them to carry more people , and get better profit of the boat .

Both of them are general indicators that should be taken seriously , through its nice to know that your boat is class A you have to prepare yourself for the seas to gonna meet.

P.S A little talk about certifications , my boat does not have a CE certification but it use the french system and it has 3 eme it means 60 miles from the shore, in Greece , when i register the boat the Surveyor gave her a A class which it means Unlimited miles (offshore sailing) , is my boat capable?
Plus A certification is up to 8 beufurt scale , which you cant really call bluewater or offshore .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
certification