Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 18:29   #1

Catalina 27

How much would you offer on this boat?

27′ Catalina Sloop « Rainbow Yachts

I saw it a couple weeks ago (couple days later price dropped $500).

Standing rigging is 10 years old.

Volvo 20 hp inboard.

Overall decent shape given it's age.

Thanks
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:50   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
How much would you offer on this boat?
If the diesel is indeed in good shape, that's not a bad price, ESPECIALLY if there's life left in the sails.

You can get C27s for significantly less, but those are mostly outboard models.

Negatives for me: alcohol stove & danforth anchor.
Positives for me: storm jib.

Something I'd probably throw away: AC refrigerator. Looks like a dorm fridge.

The one thing I'd need to know before making an offer is whether this is a tall rig. If so, snatch it up. If not, offer $6,000.
Old 27-02-2013, 19:08   #3

That's what I was thinking, $6k.

Standing rigging is still a problem. That could cost $2k down the road. The sailing conditions here in Hawaii is not to be underestimated.

Thanks,

TC
Old 27-02-2013, 19:12   #4

I would for sure check the sails carefully. If you need to spend $3000 on sails in the next year or two that might adjust your offer.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:36   #5

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies

A 27 ft boat for $7,800 can be a good deal. Notice I said , CAN be.

Here are a few clues that make me think it's got potential.

1. It doesn't have a lot of electronics, and those that it does have are old.
2. It does not have self-tailing winches.
3. It doesn't have a lot of extras.
4. It looks pretty much like it would have in 1971.
5. It looks clean.

The refrig is a little different, but my gut feeling is that this boat spent a lot of time on the dock. Can you find out who owned it and how long they had it?

Here's my guess, and it's only a guess. The fact that it has, what may be the original non-tailing winches suggests the original owner had it for a long time, and it probably spent a lot of time going in and out of the water but used very little. Hours on the engine might give you some clues as to usage, if the meter has always worked. Find out who stored and maintained the boat. Ask around. The diesel can be a plus if good. And if well maintained could last forever. But get it checked.

The Danforth anchor and the refrig are as Bash implied throwaways. I'd get a good anchor, chain and rode and keep the Danforth as a backup. The refrig, it might do you fine for awhile. The sails are important, again they might do you OK for a start. And you can get good used sails.

I've seen boats like this that were used for a while then would go in and out of the water year after year and be used maybe 1 day per year or less.

Do some research, ask around, see if you can see the logs and receipts. Get a good survey. To get it up the current standards won't be cheap. If you have a good feeling about the boat and it will fit your needs, make an offer. Like $4,000 or less and see what happens.

It also depends on how you want to use it. If you're day sailing, weekend sailing or even going out for a week or two locally. It could be a nice boat.

There are quite a few self help how to buy a sailboat articles out there.

Fair winds.
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:49   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Ehhh, $5k if the motor is solid. If it was an 80s model maybe more. OBs are faster and have more room for storage. Paid $3500 for my OB model and it has a nicer furler and came with a dinghy equipped with its own OB.

Does it have a proper shore power setup? Is that blue paint on teak? If you buy it I will take the stove off your hands...
Old 27-02-2013, 22:40   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I had my Ingrid 38 in San Leandro a few years back. The harbor actioned off one with an Atomic 4() for $580. The guy that bought it lived in the harbor, sunk $400 into it and flipped a month later for $3500. Here in Ca. they are known as the Chevrolet of the Bay. The diesel adds a little value but not a lot. So maybe offer $5500 and see what is settled on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 23:20   #8

I'll ask the broker who owned it before. I think she said the couple that owned it before decided to move up.

I am strictly a day sailor. May do over nighters.

I am non mechanical and looking for an easy to maintain, simple, reliable and affordable boat. There seems to be a lot of Catalina 27's out there. Seems to be a rather plebeian boat.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 28-02-2013, 07:09   #9

Boat: Newport 28 II

Catalina 27's do not have a 10.8' beam like the ad stated.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:17   #10

Boat: J40

Good boats but not classic. '71 as been noted, the rigging is serious on the Pacific and perhaps the plywood doghouse is rotted. I might offer bottom dollar (2K) thinking it has big yard fees and you would be doing them a favor.
If your are flush, get a nice small boat you can fall in love with. Isn't that what sailing is all about.
flopresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:41   #11

Boat: Seaward 22

It's a good price if everything is in good shape. 20hp is a lot for this boat. I think my dad's had 11 or 13hp westerbeke.

I've raced the std rig/inboard and tall rig/outboard. The latter is much faster if you want to race. However, the former provided many great weeks of coastal cruising.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:24   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I'd wondered if you'd seen that boat. It would be my choice for a low ball offer. The rigging needs to be updated if it truly is 10 years old. Catalina 27s are a good coastal cruiser that have made quite a few Pacific crossings. Just need a rigger to check out the rigging.
The beam should be about 9 feet and the waterline length is closer to 22. Nothing wrong with old Chevrolets.
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 28-02-2013, 10:51   #13

Yes, I've seen the boat.

The rigging IS due for replacement. There was also a little rust on the chain plates. I heard Catalina Direct has a kit to change them. Actually, I think you can buy all the standing rigging for that boat from them.

Any offer I place will be contingent on sea trial and survey.

I ain't paying 8K though.

TC
Old 28-02-2013, 11:02   #14

Make sure you check the port bulkhead carefully too. The chainplate attaches there and if the chainplate has been leaking, the bulkhead may be rotted. Seems to be a common problem on older catalina 27s.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:28   #15

Well, if it DOES need new standing rigging, I now know it will cost around $700 for materials:

Catalina Direct: Standing Rigging Kit for C-27 Standard Rig

Of course, that doesn't include labor of a competent rigger. Assuming I can find one who will show up. The fact that it all comes pre-measured and they just have to attach/adjust should save time and money.

TC

Tags
catalina