Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 12:50   #16

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Catalina 27

I owned a 1977 Catalina 27 with the same cabin layout.

The good things about these boats is there are relatively cheap and easy to repair. With over 6,600 of them made, they have a strongowners group, who are very willing to provide information.

I think 1971 is the first year Catalina made the 27, the hull number should be very low.

Originally, the boat did not come with Pressure water, Refrigerators or Vovlo Engines... It did not comes with a winch on the cabin top winches or wires exiting the mast. The sink is not orginal. So that has all been added.

The tiller is not orginal and doesn't look safe.

The Alcohol Stove is original. They had kind of a cool idea for those. You had two stove tops, one alcohol and th other 120volt, which you would use if you were plugged in.

Catalina Direct has some great upgrade kits. Problems to note are:

Aluminum Spreader Brackets will crack.... Upgrade is changing to stainless ones.
Shroad anchor bolts are too light and break. Upgrade is U-Bolts with Backing Plates.
The chain plates are bolted to the bulk heads with fender washers. Th ebu;k heads sometime rot or get compressed by the bolts. Replace bulkheads and make backing plates for the chain plates.

If you low ball the guy, don't worry if you don't get it... There are alot of these on the market, some in much better shape!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 16:39   #17

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

I currently own a 1984 Catalina 27, stndrd rig, inbrd 13hp diesel, hank on jib - on the east cst a 1971 as you describe should go for 4-6000, depending on condition as noted earlier. They are very basic boats so most work you can do yourself. Would recommend having engine surveyed as that can be a source of significant expense. Catalina direct is a good source for parts and place to check on pricing. In addition to earlier advice would hit the deadlites (windows that dont open) with running water for awhile to determine leaking - common site. Easy repair just requires your sweat equity. good luck w/ her.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 19:28   #18

Thanks guys.

I read in John Vigor's book that the C-27s with inboards are really, really hard to service. Can't get at the thing. In fact he states that you might as well kiss it good bye once an inboard is installed.

He recommends the outboard, tall rig, galley aft version. With SS rigging a gage a size or so larger than standard, backing plates on all attachment points, and you can actually take them offshore and beyond.
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 23:42   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I'd go aboard and check out how hard it is to get at the inboard. Might have to make a few openings in the cockpit sole to get at it properly or not. I'd want a diesel if I had a choice. Most came with a gas Atomic 4 which was larger and needed more care due to having points, plugs and a carb to service.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would agree w/ SkprJack and crawl around a few 27's the year you are thinking of and later years also. Access on my 1984 inbrd diesel is through 3 points - the front of the engine (remove stairs), starboard side door, about 1.5ft x 2ft and port side about 1.5ft x 2 ft (cockpit lazarette). Front allows easy access to water pump, alternator, oil dip stick, oil filter, primary fuel filter. Starboard gives you access to transmission, stuffing box (altho difficult), 2nd fuel filter, fuel line, injectors, and oil fill. Port access, transmission, better for stuffing box, but a tight squeeze. i have found that engine access for routine maintenance is fine (eg oil change, impeller replacement, engine belt, oil filter, fuel filter replacement). i cant speak for major work. i would opt for a diesel. My Universal has run w/o a hitch for the 4 yrs i have owned her. Pushes Impulsive along at 5-5.5 knots. Dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35   #21

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies

tcul - You've got a lot of good information from the forum members and you've done some reading. Here's my suggestion, if you haven't already done this. Get yourself a cup of coffee and a notebook and pencil. Write down what you want out of the boat for the next 3 to 5 years. How much money do you want to spend? What you like and dislike about the boat. Estimates of cost. Estimate your talents at doing the work. Willingness to wait awhile before sailing. Then take another look at what else is available on the market and at what price.

Go over the boat thoroughly yourself or with a sailing friend. Tell the broker to get a cup of coffee so you can spend some time looking. The C 27 is not going to fall into a dust heap nor is the engine going to make the boat worthless as Vigor seems to suggest.

If this boat seems to work for you, hire a surveyor or at least a diesel mechanic (I have the feeling the 18 hp Volvo may have been a late addition) if it looks reasonable make a low offer (try $3000 or $2500) and see what happens. The worst they can say is no. If it's not what you want from a boat just walk.
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 18:50   #22

Thanks. I will do just that. I have been looking at what comes onto the market here. I am trying to being patient.

I had a sail boat before. Learned a few things:

1. I'm not one of these guys who likes to spend most of the time in the marina sanding, painting, tinkering...etc. I like to sail. Up to now, 2-5 hour day sails.

2. I rushed into buying my last boat from an ad on CL. Headsail didn't fit the foil of the furler (3/8 luff in a plastimo 65mm foil). It wasn't properly attached at the tack. Came off under sail and flew out of the foil! Had to replace all standing rigging a month later. $2.5k ching ching! So yeah, not shelling out any cash until it is SURVEYED, top to bottom.

3. I tended to have more money than brains. Also tend to be too trusting. Too bad I can't get my wife involved. She is a real "ball buster" when it comes to bargaining and negotiating.

4. Yes, need to be more patient. All good things to those who wait!

Thanks again all.
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina