Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 15:01   #16

Re: Buying my First Sailboat!

When buying that used boat, figure very limited value for any pre installed gear unless it's new. Many things are often not fully functional and difficult to ascertain without a really long test. For instance:
*Water maker (membrane too long without use),
*Electronics: OK they light up but do they work in all modes etc? (hard to determine until you become familiar with them) *a 200 watt invertor is very small and cheap,
*Packing gland drips a lot: owner say "it just needs tightening", but the shaft may be scored and he's already tried tightening.
*Refrigerator seems to cool, but may actually run 24/7 and not really cool enough due to problems (hard to determine in a few hours test) etc.
Good luck/ have fun!
Not saying that boat is not a great boat... just be aware as far as outfitting goes. A surveyor likely not be able to determine any of these issues.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 15:09   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It's only your first boat. Your next boat will be (nearly) perfect for you.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:47   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Not sure I quite understand what you're saying.

The center cockpit boats I have sailed I thought the view of the boat better than my aft cockpit boats but maybe you're referring just to the large electronics pod? Fortunately I was never rich enough to own a boat with a giant display like that.

The only thing I couldn't see from the center cockpit without turning around was the back deck and transom. I did have to tilt my head back a little further to look at the main to check the trim. Otherwise sitting higher up I felt like I had a better view.

When docking the view from a center cockpit was great. I had a 65' aft cockpit ketch and usually had no idea where the bow was and what it was doing when I was docking.
I've sailed a couple of the larger center cockpit types, both 46s and I guess my opinion is based on how I learned to sail and what boats I had before. I like the feel of being able to concentrate with my eyes forward and not have to worry about what's at the stern (that's where I am in an aft cockpit). While docking I can handle the stern line from the aft cockpit and know exactly where it is without having to look.

I do understand about the disappearing bow on a larger craft. I guess its all in what appeals to you and what you prefer.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:51   #19

Oh, and I'm definitely not a fan of in mast or in boom furling. Too many chances for hang ups either furled or unfurled.
Old 10-05-2014, 14:30   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By the way, I have to make a confession. When I first looked at your handle I read it as a-tex-a-sex and wondered what it might imply. Second look I realized it should be a-texas-ex (anything to do with the George Strait song?). Guess I need to think cleaner thoughts.
I definitely understand this. I have many friends on a site called "Linkedin". I was calling it "Lin-ke-din" and 'never understood the snickers!
Old 10-05-2014, 15:44   #21

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I have Hunter Passage 42, my wife loves it! 420 is a little different but I would suggest, go and buy it. You want be disappointed! Want save some money look at HP42 their production ended in 1997 basically same hull, but on my opinion the layout is better. Good Luck with whatever you decide!
passat5919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11   #22

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
When buying that used boat, figure very limited value for any pre installed gear unless it's new. Many things are often not fully functional and difficult to ascertain without a really long test. For instance:
*Water maker (membrane too long without use),
*Electronics: OK they light up but do they work in all modes etc? (hard to determine until you become familiar with them) *a 200 watt invertor is very small and cheap,
*Packing gland drips a lot: owner say "it just needs tightening", but the shaft may be scored and he's already tried tightening.
*Refrigerator seems to cool, but may actually run 24/7 and not really cool enough due to problems (hard to determine in a few hours test) etc.
Good luck/ have fun!
Not saying that boat is not a great boat... just be aware as far as outfitting goes. A surveyor likely not be able to determine any of these issues.
Great advice. Thanks!

I must have made a typo - its a 2000 watt inverter. Also has a bow thruster with a remote for the cockpit which I didn't see (seems like it would be easy to drop overboard).

Needs new Isinglass all around for the dodger. Broker estimates $1000.

We got aboard yesterday for a couple of hours. Definitely needs cleaning but we asked to see it before the owner cleaned it and took his stuff off. The aft cabin is great - lots of headroom and very comfortable.

Da wife is concerned about the 2 cabin layout if/when the (four) offspring come down to join us (with or without the current boy/girlfriends). Only sleeps 4 without making the salon into a bed. She thinks maybe 4-5 more feet in length.

She wants to look at more boats which is probably the smart way to go. There are a couple of others that might fit the bill in NC and Annapolis.
atexasex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:12   #23

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

this one looks interesting...

2005 Hunter 44AC Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
atexasex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexasex View Post

Da wife is concerned about the 2 cabin layout if/when the (four) offspring come down to join us (with or without the current boy/girlfriends). Only sleeps 4 without making the salon into a bed. She thinks maybe 4-5 more feet in length.

She wants to look at more boats which is probably the smart way to go. There are a couple of others that might fit the bill in NC and Annapolis.
I would caution against committing to a boat that will give sleeping quarters for all possibilities. How often do all the kids come visit at the same time now? Would it be a one or two time thing where they came to sail with you for more than a couple days? Remember too that most all your time will be spent outside and not in the boat.

In my opinion it is a very good idea to look at more boats and to look more seriously at sailing features.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:13   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

The goal is to play with it and improve our sailing for about 6 months and then head to the USVI to live aboard.

SNIP
The best boat for you is the one that fits your plans/goals best. You mentioned you chartered in BVI and my understanding is that the USVI is somewhat different. There seems to be more crime in the USVI and they are not so welcoming to boaters from what I read. I would also point out sleeping in the aft cabin may be much more comfortable in VA than in the VI.

How long do you intend to stay in the USVI, five years, ten years, the rest of your life; or is it possible/probably you might return to VA. I would probably pick a much different boat for the VI than VA.

Another consideration is specifically where you will be living on the boat, at a dock, on a ball, at anchor. These considerations will affect how much electric you will have, how easy or hard it will be to get water and food, and possibly your ground tackle.

I chose my boat to do shallow water cruising in the Florida Keys and Bahamas with almost all passages being in daylight and only a couple of days away from a fresh water source, yet with the ability to anchor in an out of the way harbor, hopefully with no other boats (unless they are crewed by the Swedish Bikini Team); and do it all single handed.

You may want to try and refine what you want to use your boat for to help you select the best one to meet your needs.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 17:39   #26

Quote:
I like the layout better but it still has in mast furling. I'm not a fan.

With the aft stateroom on a wide flat stern there is a lot of noise from wakes and water slapping the stern. Check into that when you go aboard to look. Ask others here who have Hunters.

Tags
buying, sail, sailboat