Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 16:03   #1

Bristol 47.7

Hello All,
I am going to check out a Bristol 47.7 in a week. It is out of the water, what should I be looking for?

Travis
travalab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 16:17   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Bristol 47.7

All the usual stuff, plus check for leaking tanks. My 41.1 has water tanks that the interior was built around. Fuel tanks are accessible. Probably can't check, but the condition of the centerboard pennant, sheaves and pin. Boat would have to be in the slings, in the air to check. Bristols are extremely well built, and sea kindly. Good luck.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
All the usual stuff, plus check for leaking tanks. My 41.1 has water tanks that the interior was built around. Fuel tanks are accessible. Probably can't check, but the condition of the centerboard pennant, sheaves and pin. Boat would have to be in the slings, in the air to check. Bristols are extremely well built, and sea kindly. Good luck.
I know the fuel tanks were replaced in 2010, not sure about the water tanks. And the rigging was replaced in 2011.
Old 03-12-2016, 13:53   #4

Boat: Bristol 45.5

If the tanks have been done that's good as it could be a deal breaker . As said earlier Bristols are very well built boats they have a solid glass hull so no delimitation problems , the decks are balsa cored and well built . But look for leaks below around the thrubolts . Engine , rigging and sails just like any other boat.
Which one are you looking at , is it on yachtworld ?

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 14:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
If the tanks have been done that's good as it could be a deal breaker . As said earlier Bristols are very well built boats they have a solid glass hull so no delimitation problems , the decks are balsa cored and well built . But look for leaks below around the thrubolts . Engine , rigging and sails just like any other boat.
Which one are you looking at , is it on yachtworld ?

Regards
Yes it is. It is the 47.7 in Fairhaven MA
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34   #6

I just had a look at the listing.

Nice boat ! A little water damage in the aft cabin in the corners , you could probably sand that out and varnish it , .

You may have to do the refrigeration , it still has the engine drive sea frost ,if you ever want to go a 12v system you may have to redo the inside of the boxes with new insulation. And get rid of those front doors on face of the boxes they always let the warm air in . I just did that to mine and it was a vast improvement.

Looks like the original windlass, thats good those Ideal windlasses are great and last forever .

As I said these are great boats and that one looks like it is in fine shape . I wouldn't sell you mine for that price so I would really put it on my short list if I was you , Let me know if you have any questions , I know these boats inside and out .

Regards
Old 04-12-2016, 12:04   #7

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

We have a 1985 47.7 new to us in 2013. Placement of stainless steel tanks was a key issue for us. Making sure tanks were raised and were not leaking - was what we focused on. Checking hull for moisture was also important. And then the standard survey of engine and generator.

I wish we could have spent more time with the prior owner and his yard to get the full service history and upgrades on the boat. We were fortunate that prior owner was very knowledgeable and brought the boat to Bristol condition. Nonetheless, there has been a good amount of maintenance and updating expense in first three years. The 47.7 is a very solid boat though and we are sold on her and the design. t
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 19:58   #8

Quote:
I just had a look at the listing.

Nice boat ! A little water damage in the aft cabin in the corners , you could probably sand that out and varnish it , .

You may have to do the refrigeration , it still has the engine drive sea frost ,if you ever want to go a 12v system you may have to redo the inside of the boxes with new insulation. And get rid of those front doors on face of the boxes they always let the warm air in . I just did that to mine and it was a vast improvement.

Looks like the original windlass, thats good those Ideal windlasses are great and last forever .

As I said these are great boats and that one looks like it is in fine shape . I wouldn't sell you mine for that price so I would really put it on my short list if I was you , Let me know if you have any questions , I know these boats inside and out .

Regards
Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I will take a look at the water damaged areas and see if I can ascertain where the water came from. One thing that I am concerned about is the lack of a bow thruster. I wonder how much trouble docking would be with this size boat? We were thinking that we would like to do a little updating in the galley and heads as well as the upholstery to give the interior some freshness. We could certainly looking into updating the refrigeration as part of those projects. We are going this Saturday to have our first look, so I am trying to make a list of all the import things to check out. Again thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:30   #9

The bow thruster thing is a personal choice and your confidence in your piloting skills in close quarters . It also depends how you choose to use the boat. I will have to add if you are a weekend warrior , you will be wasting this boat . They love the open seas , thats what they were designed to do , SAIL . They have a good turn of speed and are very gentle on nerves , ride like a Cadillac . All this adds up to a boat on the heavy side with a lovely longer keel and protected rudder . They are a bear to handle and to stop in close quarters . I am always surprised as people grab my lines to help dock and then go swimming ! What a surprised look they have on there face . Lol . These are not hunters or Catalina's , these boats have some heft . Find an easy slip to get in and out of and then practice. Personally I have never felt the need to cut a hole in my hull and install a bowthurster , but I have been sailing for more then 40 years .

Let me know how your viewing goes . Glad to help if I can .

Regards
Old 08-12-2016, 09:31   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Needing a bow thruster is directly linked to where you will moor. If you are off cruising and anchoring all the time or live on a mooring then it is not an issue. In a tight harbour it can be an issue. Our 45.5 is wonderful turning to the right because we can use prop wash. We can turn pretty much where we are sitting. Turning hard left is something else altogether. Unless you have some speed it does not turn very well left, especially with the engine in gear. Our dock works well, we come down between dock strings and turn in to the right and dock on port. Coming out we can back the stern to port easily until we have turned 90 degrees. In some ports on Lake Ontario things are pretty tight though and you can't always get a dock that is positioned correctly. We have a large water tank under the V-berth. Don't think there is room for a thruster there so you have to pull the tank.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Needing a bow thruster is directly linked to where you will moor. If you are off cruising and anchoring all the time or live on a mooring then it is not an issue. In a tight harbour it can be an issue. Our 45.5 is wonderful turning to the right because we can use prop wash. We can turn pretty much where we are sitting. Turning hard left is something else altogether. Unless you have some speed it does not turn very well left, especially with the engine in gear. Our dock works well, we come down between dock strings and turn in to the right and dock on port. Coming out we can back the stern to port easily until we have turned 90 degrees. In some ports on Lake Ontario things are pretty tight though and you can't always get a dock that is positioned correctly. We have a large water tank under the V-berth. Don't think there is room for a thruster there so you have to pull the tank.

I agree , mine turns and maneuvers the same way. You have to get used to it and know your boats limitations. Practice you don't want to learn these things with a lot of boats around you .

Regards
Old 10-12-2016, 14:49   #12

Quote:
The bow thruster thing is a personal choice and your confidence in your piloting skills in close quarters . It also depends how you choose to use the boat. I will have to add if you are a weekend warrior , you will be wasting this boat . They love the open seas , thats what they were designed to do , SAIL . They have a good turn of speed and are very gentle on nerves , ride like a Cadillac . All this adds up to a boat on the heavy side with a lovely longer keel and protected rudder . They are a bear to handle and to stop in close quarters . I am always surprised as people grab my lines to help dock and then go swimming ! What a surprised look they have on there face . Lol . These are not hunters or Catalina's , these boats have some heft . Find an easy slip to get in and out of and then practice. Personally I have never felt the need to cut a hole in my hull and install a bowthurster , but I have been sailing for more then 40 years .

Let me know how your viewing goes . Glad to help if I can .

Regards
Just returned from the viewing. Verified that the fuel tanks have been replaced, the water tanks have not. Do the water tanks typically have issues on these boats too, or is it only the fuel tanks? The owner hit something submerged and ripped the center board clean off, it was replaced in 2005. There is definitely some cosmetic work to be done below and above, the hull paint is in rough shape, and had some shoddy touch up done, would consider repainting it, I know that can be incredibly expensive.The boat has been out of the water for 2 years. There was standing water in the bilge and it appeared to be frozen. Deck all felt solid, bimini enclosure was in fair shape. Looking over the hull there was no apparent blistering, but I read that's not really an issue with these boats. Overall the boat seemed solid, would definitely need a surveyor to thoroughly look over it, and test all the systems.

The more we think about our plans, the more we want to spend the next few years doing some extended cruising up to a possible circumnavigation. This boat seems to have all the systems in place to make that possible, solar panels, generator, water maker etc. How much life is left in them is yet to be determined.

Going to look at Bristol 48.8 that is slightly higher priced next weekend for a comparison. That boat has less of the ancillary systems already installed, and the generator is in-op.

Here is the listing: 1989 Bristol 48.8 Center Cockpit Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Seeing this boat today has definitely got the wheels turning.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:20   #13

Hi Again,

Was this the first Bristol you have stepped on ?

You won't be disappointed with a Bristol off shore.

Yes the water tanks have issues as well if they are stainless . Funny that wasn't addressed when they did the fuel tanks. You want polyethylene tanks for water and holding.

What material did they use for the new fuel tanks?

Nothing to worry about if he ripped of the center board , the hull and center board housing on these boats are tough tough . That would not concern me as long as the pivot pin is ok.

Also if you are going to spend any time in the tropics you will want a white boat , dark colors are great in New England but sweat boxes in the tropics. So think about a hull paint job if you get a dark boat .

I have actually seen Patriot, beautiful boat sweet sweet lines. Looks like she is in all her original equipment , Which is good , you can fit her out as you want for your intended use.

Yes these boats don't seem to suffer from blisters never seen one or heard of one that had any .

Also remember if you want good refrigeration on these boats you will have to start all over and loss the Sea Frost and 110 shore assist , all old stuff , I just did mine and can walk you through the process if you like . You should be able to have that fridge and the separate deep freeze up and working and using less then 50 amp hrs combined in 24 Hrs in the tropics . I use under 40ah in 90 degree weather combined. And Im talking a true deep freeze.

I also installed a generator on my Bristol myself , big job be not impossible. I don't think Patriot has a gen set , didn't see it on the listing.

So matter what boat you get you must think about refit and add the cost of that to the equation.

Remember the 47.7 is just a 45.5 stretched to accommodate the centerline aft berth, They come from the same molds . So if you dont mind giving up the center line you could get a 45.5 and have lots of money for really good stuff , There is one close to you "Shalom" , and she is already white and has all new tanks , you would have loads of cash left for generators , refrigeration, LifePo4 batteries and so on.

Food for thought .

Regards
, check out my youtube site and my profile for Bristol upgardes..........
Old 12-12-2016, 11:26   #14

Quote:
Hi Again,

Was this the first Bristol you have stepped on ?

You won't be disappointed with a Bristol off shore.

Yes the water tanks have issues as well if they are stainless . Funny that wasn't addressed when they did the fuel tanks. You want polyethylene tanks for water and holding.

What material did they use for the new fuel tanks?

Nothing to worry about if he ripped of the center board , the hull and center board housing on these boats are tough tough . That would not concern me as long as the pivot pin is ok.

Also if you are going to spend any time in the tropics you will want a white boat , dark colors are great in New England but sweat boxes in the tropics. So think about a hull paint job if you get a dark boat .

I have actually seen Patriot, beautiful boat sweet sweet lines. Looks like she is in all her original equipment , Which is good , you can fit her out as you want for your intended use.

Yes these boats don't seem to suffer from blisters never seen one or heard of one that had any .

Also remember if you want good refrigeration on these boats you will have to start all over and loss the Sea Frost and 110 shore assist , all old stuff , I just did mine and can walk you through the process if you like . You should be able to have that fridge and the separate deep freeze up and working and using less then 50 amp hrs combined in 24 Hrs in the tropics . I use under 40ah in 90 degree weather combined. And Im talking a true deep freeze.

I also installed a generator on my Bristol myself , big job be not impossible. I don't think Patriot has a gen set , didn't see it on the listing.

So matter what boat you get you must think about refit and add the cost of that to the equation.

Remember the 47.7 is just a 45.5 stretched to accommodate the centerline aft berth, They come from the same molds . So if you dont mind giving up the center line you could get a 45.5 and have lots of money for really good stuff , There is one close to you "Shalom" , and she is already white and has all new tanks , you would have loads of cash left for generators , refrigeration, LifePo4 batteries and so on.

Food for thought .

Regards
, check out my youtube site and my profile for Bristol upgardes..........
Yes this was the first Bristol that we have looked at. As for as the water tanks go, the broker didn't have any information on them. The listing seems to state that they added a rubber membrane to the tanks when they added the water maker. Not sure if that's a sufficient solution. As for painting, although we like the blue, if we were to repaint the hull we would do white for the same reasons you stated. Refrigeration is on the must do list, and we will for sure be in contact with you if we decide to go with a Bristol, thanks for your generous offer.

The current owner is the 3rd owner, the original owner donated the boat to the Mass Maritime Academy (should we be concerned about this?) and that is who the current owner boat the boat from. The broker said the seller is very motivated as he is currently in a new boat and in the Caribbean, so I think it would be possible to negotiate the price some.

We have seen Shalom on YachtWorld, and is on our short list. Our thinking is, we do prefer the centerline berth, and the saloon on the 47.7 although neither are a necessity by any means. If we can negotiate the price some we feel that it would be a pretty good deal considering the amount of boat we would get. Plus Equinox is already local, Shalom would require some sort of arrangement to get the boat to NH ME or MA for our refit.

We plan on going to see Patriot Saturday, hopefully it will help us gauge the relative condition of Equinox.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:10   #15

Thats it you have been ruined LOL All other boats will seem lacking once you have walked on a Bristol .

They just don't build them like that anymore . Ok im a Bristol lover so shoot me .

The liners in the water tanks would give me cause for concern on Equinox. You dont want to do that job if you can avoid it . You now seen the level of woodwork in these boats , tough to replicate .

Patriot looks like an amazing boat , let me know how you like her . Dont forget the tanks .

Regards