Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2017, 16:32   #1

Blue Water Boat

Hi all, I have been following Cruisers Forum for some time now and have found a lot of use full information. Now I would like some in put on my plan.
I am looking at a Hunter 41 DS to set up and use as a blue water cruiser.
Things I like 6 ft plus head room, 2 cabin lay out, can be sailed single handed,
so is this the right boat all constructive opinions appreciated. Budget $140usd
looking at purchasing in US and sailing to AU.
Cheers and Thanks in advance.
thewog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 16:46   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Blue Water Boat

Maybe this will help. Jessica Watson sailed RTW on an S&S 34

HUNTER 41 DS sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Jessica Watson sailed RTW with this boat:

S&S 34 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 17:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewog View Post
Hi all, I have been following Cruisers Forum for some time now and have found a lot of use full information. Now I would like some in put on my plan.
Things I like 6 ft plus head room, 2 cabin lay out, can be sailed single handed,
Lots and lots of other boats would meet the very short list of requirements you have in your post. I am sure you have lots of other things that drive your final choice. If, indeed, that IS your final choice...

Lots of people (not all, just lots) with offshore experience are not fans of Hunters, we don't want to start THAT argument. If you have been here a while you already know that.

It might be useful to list other boats you considered--and discarded--with the reasons you thought them not suited to your plan. Also, useful to know for intelligent commenting are what your plans are for the boat after you get her back to AU.

As for your overall plan of buying in the US and sailing south, GO FOR IT! But it will be a challenge. Buying a boat that far from home always is. It's not like buying a car.

I would have one suggestion to start... buy a boat that is already set up for blue water. Buying a boat (of any brand) with intent to make it into something it is not, is certainly possible, but it can put you pretty deep into a money and time pit.

I once taught a class on how to buy a boat. One of my rules was that anybody who told you what kind of boat to buy without asking you an hour's worth of questions (and carefully listening to your answers) was actually telling you what kind of boat THEY wanted to buy. Remember that when reading comments here...
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 17:55   #4

Thanks Billknny,
No the Hunter is not my final choice. Reason for purchase in US is more choice and value for money, Don't wish to purchase in AU and look at the boat by purchasing in US I will have to sail her no excuses. Planing on keeping the boat long term for hopefully around the world trip Thank you again for your in put. I will start looking at boats all ready set up for blue water cruising
Old 26-10-2017, 20:40   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Perhaps give us some more info on your preferences and priorities... there are a lot of good candidates if your budget is $140K. I like the idea of getting a boat already prepped, but still save half your budget for other "stuff" that comes up. I saw a Downeaster 38 someone had done a lot of work on to make her even more "bluewater" and then they had to bail out of their cruising plans. I don't know what they finally sold it for, but I know it was a small fraction of what they put into her.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 21:25   #6

Hi Don CL
I don't do written grammar well sorry. Any way preferences I am 6 ft and 105kg, a. height, b. 2 x large cabins, c. 2 x heads, d. separate shower, e.light bright with windows kitchen sitting ares (what I liked about Hunter DS) others seem like living in a cave. would love a catamaran but over budget. I am not an experienced sailer but do know a bit about boats idea is to motor when in bays or confined places and do the long hauls under sail. any advice welcome and I do appreciate your time and in put. Thank You
Old 27-10-2017, 16:53   #7

Quote:
Hi Don CL
I don't do written grammar well sorry. Any way preferences I am 6 ft and 105kg, a. height, b. 2 x large cabins, c. 2 x heads, d. separate shower, e.light bright with windows kitchen sitting ares (what I liked about Hunter DS) others seem like living in a cave. would love a catamaran but over budget. I am not an experienced sailer but do know a bit about boats idea is to motor when in bays or confined places and do the long hauls under sail. any advice welcome and I do appreciate your time and in put. Thank You
2 large cabins, 2 heads, shower and lots of light in galley/eating area.... easy to sail singlehanded... “blue water”.... $140k total budget.... hmmm gotta think about that one
Old 27-10-2017, 17:01   #8

Ok, never sailed on one but I have heard nice things about Nauticats. You might google the nauticat 36. It might be on the small side for your prefs but the prices are under 140k that I see...
Old 27-10-2017, 18:08   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The wog:

This may be an unpopular point of view, the Hunters seem to have their proponents, but I personally, would prefer to go to sea in a sailboat that has a backstay, and is of more sound construction.

Somewhere on CF there is a thread about some Hunter rudder repairs. If nothing else, it will give you an idea what you could want to have aboard for repairs. It is a longish trip back to Oz, and remember you will have to import the boat upon arrival.

Ann
Old 27-10-2017, 20:38   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
There's good Hunters and not so good Hunters, most here aren't knowledgeable enough to offer advice (although they will) regarding models, including me.
Don't be turned off by the opinions you read here, the right Hunter can be fantastic value.
Find people that know the boats well and talk to them.
John Champion an Australian guy (surveyor) who lives in Langkawi is quite knowledgeable in this area, maybe worth googling him and organising a chat. Of course their must be many others that can also offer educated opinions.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2017, 20:40   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Also don't be scared to make low ball offers, I picked up my catalina 470 for a very good price.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:07   #12

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The wog:

This may be an unpopular point of view, the Hunters seem to have their proponents, but I personally, would prefer to go to sea in a sailboat that has a backstay, and is of more sound construction.

Somewhere on CF there is a thread about some Hunter rudder repairs. If nothing else, it will give you an idea what you could want to have aboard for repairs. It is a longish trip back to Oz, and remember you will have to import the boat upon arrival.

Ann
Not just unpopular, not factual.

For the B&R rig read this. https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downl...n_70432613.pdf

It gives a good analysis of the B&R rig.

The rudder issue was limited to a run of boats with carbon rudder posts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hunterowners

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...ner-forums.35/

There is a good owners group of Hunter's on facebook with quite a few Ozzies as members. I know of one 410 that has gone USA to Oz, and another larger Hunter that has sailed from Oz to Fiji. Most of the bigger boats have EC Ocean A rating. Good luck with your search.

The 41 DS is a lovely boat, I had a friend (6'4" sailor) who bought one after owning a Beneteau for years. He had extensive offshore experience crewing on deliveries, and single handing on the Great Lakes. and couldn't say enough good things about his 41DS.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:24   #13

Cheers Daletournier
I have got in touch with John Champion and have found him to be very help full
Thanks again for your in put and advise
Ivan ( thewog )
Old 06-11-2017, 13:37   #14

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

So many different boats that people will recommend....

In any case, whichever boat you choose, be ready to do extensive preparation. New (and beefed up) standing rigging, good electronics, lots of spare parts, lots of "going out there" gear, high quality running rigging and sails .... etc.. It's a big job, with lots of decisions. Have fun, be safe!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:43   #15

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
I am not an experienced sailer but do know a bit about boats idea is to motor when in bays or confined places and do the long hauls under sail. any advice welcome and I do appreciate your time and in put. Thank You
And you want to sail a boat back from the US?

From this paragraph alone I suggest you buy something local and become an experienced sailor first.

Not having a go at you, just pointing out the massive flaw in your logic. This whole "buy a cheap boat in the US and sail it home to Oz" thing has been a recipe for disaster before, and will be again.

Buy it in the US and have it shipped over makes more sense.

Tags
blue water, boat, water