Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 02:56   #1936

Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
If it's like the ones I have been looking at, I'm glad to hear you took the leap. I found some that had 4 buttons, others were 6-10. They are marketed for overhead cranes that go east-west, north-south, up-down, etc. Definitely "look" more heavy duty than the online offroad winch remotes.
"On our previous boat I used one of the very popular eBay wireless remote controls. These are incredibly cheap at only about $20 (or less) and most people report great success with these units."

Can someone provide a link to one of these inexpensive eBay wireless remote contollers that you had success with.

A link to the $120 controller but the 12VDC version would also be appreciated. I did a search but came up empty.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:36   #1937
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

This the cheap one I use, and have used for three years and it has worked well so far.
However as has been said, you can’t pulse it, it gives you a couple of feet or nothing.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:38   #1938
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Then you have this
https://www.amazon.com/LIEBMAYA-Wire...8W9JQST27D8ATB
Old 03-09-2018, 04:30   #1939

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The link to my new wireless controller is in post #1933

The cheaper alternative is something like this (although this one does not include any batteries. The batteries are difficult to find and expensive ):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/12v-Electri...set-Heavy-Duty

Despite the lack of reliability I have had with this type of cheaper controller, many boats are happy with their performance, so they are worth a try. A wireless anchor winch controller is very useful and the price is ridiculously low if you shop around.

Some of the offers with the cheap controllers come with two handsets for little extra cost. It is also worth getting some spare batteries for the handset.

They are not difficult to install, but given the faffing around these projects often involve, and the better performance, I would recomend the more expensive controller for only £45 more, but I assuming it will be more reliable, and that is yet is to be proven.

Edit: thanks for the extra links A64.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:29   #1940

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Phone on the back of the remote:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC808665-3FDC-449E-BC99-5DA143C938BE.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	176793  
Old 04-09-2018, 08:14   #1941

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Very cool! This had not occurred to me. Another win for a Cruisers Forum.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:24   #1942

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Bloody brilliant. Just like everything else on the boat.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:43   #1943

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

What are you using for batteries and charging system?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:31   #1944

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
What are you using for batteries and charging system?
The primary charging is via just over 1000w of Sunpower solar panels. These have been excellent. The main electrical supply for my last three boats has been via solar so I have a good idea what to expect. The installation is producing amazing amounts of power in low light conditions. I am not sure how much is due to the panels themselves and how much is due to an installation with very few shadows. The boom is below the level of the panels and I made sure GPS aerials etc are mounted level with the top of the panels so the only thing that can cast a shadow is the mast, sails and rigging.

The three Sunpower panels feed three Victron charge controllers. I am not so sure about the charge controllers’ performance. The Victron charging algorithm is very unusual, but at the moment we are producing loads of excess power, which makes it hard to judge how they will perform in the more important situations when power is marginal.

The battery supply is 600AHrs (@24v) of Mastervolt gel batteries. On previous boats I have had great sucess with gel batteries having lifespans well in excess of 10 years, but this was with Sonnenschein not Mastervolt batteries. So we will see how these batteries compare. I suspect they are not as good quality, but it is a large battery bank that will normally be held at relatively high SOC, especially compared to my other boats that had small battery banks, so I am hopeful of a reasonable battery life.

In addition to the standard alternator that just feeds the start battery, the engine is fitted with a second alternator, which is a large frame Leece Neville alternator rated at a whopping 175A @24v. I asked KM to de-rate this to 90-100A @24v. This is, I think, a sensible compromise between reliability (of both the engine and the alternator) and the desire for as much power as possible. This is adjustable via the software so could be ramped up easily if I feel the need. A very large alternator running well within its capabilities is hopefully a good recipe.
Old 06-09-2018, 15:28   #1945

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Nearly 2000 posts and 300,000 views of this thread. Obviously this boat got a lot of attention, and quite rightly so IMO. I have been one of these 300,000 secret dreamers.
For those readers, who have some spare cash in a draw somewhere..... check this Bestevaer 49:
https://www.theyachtmarket.com/boats...6077582&page=1

This link was sent to me by a friend who knows my taste, but does not know my draws just have socks and undies in it.

A good reason to go to the Hiswa in Holland where this boat will be on display, plus of course a dozen other ones that will cause the customary drooling.
Old 06-09-2018, 16:01   #1946

I'm not trying to second guess your decision to use Gel batteries but did you consider LiFePO4 batteries? If so did the reliability and simplicity of Gel win out? For what little it's worth, I would have chosen AGM or Gel also.
Old 06-09-2018, 18:28   #1947
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Knowing more about batteries now than I did when I bought these, I would not go with AGM again, but Gel.
I went with AGM cause first they would fit and second they were made by Concorde, and aircraft battery company that I had contacts with, and a lot of experience with their aircraft batteries.

I am still trying to figure out why Gel batteries are not the go to battery for the average cruiser, I even started a thread about that awhile ago.
Old 06-09-2018, 18:30   #1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Knowing more about batteries now than I did when I bought these, I would not go with AGM again, but Gel.

may I ask why?
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 19:14   #1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I went with AGM cause first they would fit and second they were made by Concorde, and aircraft battery company that I had contacts with, and a lot of experience with their aircraft batteries.

I am still trying to figure out why Gel batteries are not the go to battery for the average cruiser, I even started a thread about that awhile ago.
They have some unique charging requirements of their own. I can't remember all the details but I'm pretty sure there is a thread on it. I think it is they are very sensitive to charge or float voltage or susceptible to overcharging. I could be wrong here so don't take my word for it. Treated correctly, they have a long cycle life.
Old 06-09-2018, 19:31   #1950
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
may I ask why?

I don’t want to Hijack the thread, maybe we should start a thread on what’s the best lead cruiser battery chemistry, and why?
AGM’s are very intolerant to PSOC cycling and you need to get to 100% as often as possible, which usually means an hour or so of generator run frequently, and an equalization cycle monthly.

I believe with Gels your much more likely to be able to do without generator runs and or equalization.
Equalization in particular is difficult without shorepower, it should be done only after batteries are 100% SOC then allowed to rest/ Cool then equalize for a few hours.
So if possible you buy a dock with power for the night and re provision etc.

Plus it seems that Gels live longer than any other lead acid battery, other than theoretical faster charge rates than Gel, I see no advantage of AGM over Gel. I say theoretical cause while they will take initial huge charge rates, it really doesn’t shorten charge time all that much, and Solar isn’t a high initial charge thing anyway.
Gels are as maintenance free as AGM’s and I have no need to mount batteries on their sides.