Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 15:47   #1261

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

We have a 52' Kanter aluminum yacht with a set up of two integral aluminum saddle tanks for water (125 gallon each) and a separate stainless tank for drinking (50 gallons), similar to yours.
In actual usage and living aboard, this is a brilliant arrangement. Through a system of valves, we can fill the any tank from either the watermaker or the deck fills. In actuality, we always fill the stainless tank from the watermaker, which then has a dedicated faucet in the galley.
The aluminum tanks are often filled at dock, which we use for all purposes except drinking. In a pinch can fill these from watermaker as well. You will love your system!!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 23:34   #1262

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
We have a 52' Kanter aluminum yacht with a set up of two integral aluminum saddle tanks for water (125 gallon each) and a separate stainless tank for drinking (50 gallons), similar to yours.
In actual usage and living aboard, this is a brilliant arrangement. Through a system of valves, we can fill the any tank from either the watermaker or the deck fills. In actuality, we always fill the stainless tank from the watermaker, which then has a dedicated faucet in the galley.
The aluminum tanks are often filled at dock, which we use for all purposes except drinking. In a pinch can fill these from watermaker as well. You will love your system!!!!
And here I was thinking this was unique .
Thanks for the feedback.

Our SS tank can only be filled via the watermaker, but there is a seperate tap in the galley for fresh water from the main tanks. This also provides us with some redundancy.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:47   #1263

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post
Ah, there is a cap. OK, I was curious, as you went for other design choices to minimize water pooling/leaks (raised hatches etc.).
Here are a couple of close up photos of the outlet for the Refleks chimney. The Staysail "track" can be seen behind it:

Old 10-06-2017, 16:41   #1264

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Angela, what is the purpose of the "ditch" around the stovepipe penetration?

Jim
Old 10-06-2017, 17:08   #1265

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Angela, what is the purpose of the "ditch" around the stovepipe penetration?

Jim

I'm curious too. I would have thought it would be proud of the adjacent surfaces rather than recessed.

And the flue is stainless, no? How did they weld it to the aluminum deck???

(Aside: Sorry for all the questions. Just naturally nosy, I guess. Or maybe a bit of vicarious pleasure as well.)
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 19:15   #1266

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

I'm curious too. I would have thought it would be proud of the adjacent surfaces rather than recessed.

And the flue is stainless, no? How did they weld it to the aluminum deck???

(Aside: Sorry for all the questions. Just naturally nosy, I guess. Or maybe a bit of vicarious pleasure as well.)

It's called a Charlie noble, the recess is to hold water to prevent heat transfer to the surrounding deck structure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=char...vmOt3FsK4yLrM:
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 19:47   #1267

Thanks for the info. I had always thought the Charlie Nobel was the cap:

Obviously, I don't have any experience with marine gas furnaces!

Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2017, 21:01   #1268

Sailmonkey. On second thought your explanation does not make sense.

What makes you think that the recess would typically be full of water? And with flue gases probably somewhere between 350-500 degrees F, any water would rapidly boil/evaporate away.

Instead, I think the recess is to accumulate the condensation that will form, and to prevent the (rusty) condensate from running down the deck and staining the aluminum surfaces. Even with stainless steel flues and weather cap, soot and salt air is going to result in rust and corrosion. Maybe this is a means to corral it.

I think the pipe section shown is just the collar for the actual flue pipe. Aluminum is not suitable for an exhaust flue. At first glance I thought what I was seeing was the stainless steel flue itself. I now believe that it is aluminum. We will have to wait for Seaworthy Lass to enlighten us.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this???
Old 10-06-2017, 21:22   #1269

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It actually is the deck iron and it is filled with water to dissipate the heat.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 22:05   #1270

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sailmonkey and DeepFrz, thanks for the explanation.

I assumed the well was just to add air space for insulation (new to diesel drip heaters here). I hadn't considered that it was a moat. Redsky, check out Sailmonkey's link that leads to a discussion thread about this moat.

Next time I see an owner I will ask how often the water needs to be topped up. In that Wooden Boat Forum discussion several members commented they never bother with putting any water in at all. The extra mass provides some heat dissipation.

If water is vital, we will need to toss a coin to see who gets to go out on those chilly nights. I can't imagine the water lasting long either. At least if it is raining we will be saved the chore .

SWL

Old 10-06-2017, 23:24   #1271

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Sailmonkey. On second thought your explanation does not make sense.

What makes you think that the recess would typically be full of water? And with flue gases probably somewhere between 350-500 degrees F, any water would rapidly boil/evaporate away.
You over estimate the heath, that is unless one is wintering in the arctic. In most conditions drip oil heater runs about 5 to 10% of it's rated output.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 23:45   #1272

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
If water is vital, we will need to toss a coin to see who gets to go out on those chilly nights. I can't imagine the water lasting long either. At least if it is raining we will be saved the chore .

SWL
There's an easy trick to avoid that. Take a filled water bottle with a nozzle, put a piece of tubing on the nozzle the other end with short copper pipe with a hole , set the water bottle upsidedown (locking bicycle bottle holder on a stay) close the chimney so the tubing runs down to charlie noble.
Water sinks, the hole comes above the water, sucks air in the bottle, water runs down..

Looks very DIY, a real discussion opener with quests on board

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:32   #1273
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
....... I hadn't considered that it was a moat. Redsky, check out Sailmonkey's link that leads to a discussion thread about this moat.

Next time I see an owner I will ask how often the water needs to be topped up. .........
It's a MWM and no water is required.

Mulled Wine Moat

Sorry Lassie, I couldn't help myself
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:05   #1274

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
It's a MWM and no water is required.
In that case I'll make sure I stock up on extra supplies of cinnamon and nutmeg (skipping the cloves - they remind me of the dentist). Red wine is always plentiful .

SWL

Old 11-06-2017, 13:59   #1275
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:

Instead, I think the recess is to accumulate the condensation that will form, and to prevent the (rusty) condensate from running down the deck and staining the aluminum surfaces. Even with stainless steel flues and weather cap, soot and salt air is going to result in rust and corrosion. Maybe this is a means to corral it.

I think the pipe section shown is just the collar for the actual flue pipe. Aluminum is not suitable for an exhaust flue. At first glance I thought what I was seeing was the stainless steel flue itself. I now believe that it is aluminum. We will have to wait for Seaworthy Lass to enlighten us.

Anyone else want to take a stab at this???
I like this explanation as a containment well to minimize staining.... Also the added surface area and chamfered / rolled profile would prevent sheer stressses and act as an expansion profile for the deck around the hot chimney.

Again, the workmanship looks great.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote