Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 04:33   #676
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

White... Yes... I'd go with white for sure...

BTW... I forgot to mention... Bestevaer II's cockpit... While I'm sure there is plenty of opportunity for pleasure and lounging... THAT cockpit is "all about the business!" Insanely set up...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:27   #677

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
I agree a raked back window is immensely practical, particularly with an "eyebrow" added. It has not been something we considered doing though.
Good! That's a look, no matter how practical, that I really dislike.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:44   #678

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Good! That's a look, no matter how practical, that I really dislike.
Ours won't be a "pretty" boat, but in my eyes it will have beautiful lines (even with the "uglier than sin" addition ).

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 13:43   #679

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Shame the aluminium can't be incorporated in some way, personally I love the look of unfinished raw materials like wood steel glass and stone.
There will be plenty of scrap--perhaps you need an artistic person to create a piece of art for an interior wall.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 21:24   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Another thing often used here is a reel of Ancrolina, to make storing the rode at the pushpit easy. I also think it's unnecessary. A normal rope rode works fine; just coil it up when you're not using it and hang it from the pushpit.
The tapes spool out so smoothly though with never a snag. I have watched single handers using them for mooring in the Chilean channels . Tender ready alongside, drop the anchor back into the cove, sit back on the anchor with power on to test the set, hop over the side into tender, nip ashore tie to tree - boat is safe. Put other lines ashore as required.

We have a rope spool in the cockpit under the tiller. When we need it for mooring we spool polyprop onto it. When we think we will need it primarily for anchoring we spool nylon rode onto it. The second choice line/rode is either stored in a rope bag or coiled and hanging from the pushpit.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 05:14   #681

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Matt, I have had no problems walking barefoot on our white painted alu deck, even peak summer. It is dramatically cooler than the teak cockpit floor (I need crocs on for that). And no, I don't have tough feet .

SWL
I knew I'd seen this information somewhere. A google search brought it up. The table at the bottom of this post says it all. You can see that there is an amazing difference between colours and even between whites, but only one (G8001) really cuts the mustard. I have this on my mast. A nice clean white.

I would hope Awlgrip could confirm the info is still correct and that other paint makers would have similar data on their paints.

A simple calculation shows how important this issue is. With a deck area of say 60m2, a paint absorbtion rate of 20% and a summer solar irradiation level of 1.2kW/m2 you have a total solar absorbtion rate of 14kW. A lot of heat to dissipate. Some heat ends up inside the boat, even with insulation. With the 8001 you can reduce it by 75% or with darker colours increase it my several times.

See the table at the bottom of this page:

S/V Maitreya: A Whiter Shade of Pale
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 07:04   #682
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Exactly! Good find that table, I couldn't find it a couple posts back. It shows that even light gray G1001 absorbs 52% of the radiation while pure white G8001 only absorbs 5%.

I have Insignia white G8022 which absorbs 20% and the non-skid I have Eggshell white H8015 which absorbs 23%. In full tropical sun the non-skid gets almost too hot to walk on and standing is painful. The Insignia white is just bearable in the same conditions. I would not recommend to go beyond 23% absorption nd try to stay below 20%.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 07:46   #683
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^ of course in non-tropical sailing you might desire some "solar gain".

We had light beige non skid - I thought it worked well across a wide range of latitudes. I don't remember it ever being too hot to walk on and no glare.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 08:02   #684

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ of course in non-tropical sailing you might desire some "solar gain".

We had light beige non skid - I thought it worked well across a wide range of latitudes. I don't remember it ever being too hot to walk on and no glare.
Yes, that would be around the H8002 22% as well.

If your boat is insulated then it doesn't matter much for heat in the winters in the cold climates... but my experience with light gray was on a steel vd Stadt sailing it in Holland which is pretty bad climate wise but still capable of producing summers where I burned my feet on light gray deck

Of-course that boat wasn't insulated so it got so hot inside that I preferred to sleep on deck sometimes
Old 13-05-2016, 08:45   #685

Boat: Oyster 66

On the question of boat solar gain I have often wondered how much of a problem it is. I was struck by the huge difference in heat absorbtion and emmisivity of aluminium and fibreglass glider trailers.

My trailer was white painted fibreglass and the trailer parked next to mine under the same hot Spanish sun was unpainted aluminium, also uninsulated. The difference in the temperature inside the trailers was colossal. The difference between bearable and unbearable.

Since that experience I have always looked at alu boats and thought they must be hot inside. I have been told in the past when I asked that it is not noticeable when the boat is insulated. Insulation would have to be really thick though, like is planned for the Bestevaer.

I still wonder if it wouldn't be better to paint the hulls white just like the deck?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 09:29   #686

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I knew I'd seen this information somewhere. A google search brought it up. The table at the bottom of this post says it all. You can see that there is an amazing difference between colours and even between whites, but only one (G8001) really cuts the mustard. I have this on my mast. A nice clean white.

I would hope Awlgrip could confirm the info is still correct and that other paint makers would have similar data on their paints.

A simple calculation shows how important this issue is. With a deck area of say 60m2, a paint absorbtion rate of 20% and a summer solar irradiation level of 1.2kW/m2 you have a total solar absorbtion rate of 14kW. A lot of heat to dissipate. Some heat ends up inside the boat, even with insulation. With the 8001 you can reduce it by 75% or with darker colours increase it my several times.

See the table at the bottom of this page:

S/V Maitreya: A Whiter Shade of Pale
Now you post this! I have three gallons of light Grey Kiwi-grip waiting to be applied. Guess we will see....I can always add another coat later.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-05-2016, 12:45   #687

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
On the question of boat solar gain I have often wondered how much of a problem it is. I was struck by the huge difference in heat absorbtion and emmisivity of aluminium and fibreglass glider trailers.

My trailer was white painted fibreglass and the trailer parked next to mine under the same hot Spanish sun was unpainted aluminium, also uninsulated. The difference in the temperature inside the trailers was colossal. The difference between bearable and unbearable.

Since that experience I have always looked at alu boats and thought they must be hot inside. I have been told in the past when I asked that it is not noticeable when the boat is insulated. Insulation would have to be really thick though, like is planned for the Bestevaer.

I still wonder if it wouldn't be better to paint the hulls white just like the deck?
Poiu, I've been mucking around with Panope for 40 years. She has always had a black hull and the interior has never been hot. Even when on the hard (no water cooling). The boat did spend a winter/spring in the Sea of Cortez. Insulation is about 2 inches thick. Seems to work well.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 14:19   #688

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The hull is vertical surface and thus the issue is minimal.

@FunJohnson: This info was posted way back in this thread; only the table with specific values per color is new
Old 13-05-2016, 14:41   #689

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The hull is vertical surface and thus the issue is minimal.

@FunJohnson: This info was posted way back in this thread; only the table with specific values per color is new
Yeah, but someone's foot thermometer is much less convincing than that table We really wanted grey because of how the white looks after a pretty short time....especially a really textured nonskid. We've pretty much committed to wearing shoes on deck....and finally we have a deck with few toe stubbers

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-05-2016, 14:57   #690

Install teak then you won't be able to worry about anything else but it's upkeep and it's cost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote