Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 22:58   #661

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
SWL, I used a stock PPG color (RT - 1503, Grey) on Panope's decks. This color does not reflect light in a noticeable amount (no sunglasses needed) and has not heated to more than slightly warm to the touch in full sun. Max air temp so far about 90 deg. F..

However, (and this could be a big 'however') the boat is in cold water (50 deg.) and I believe it is possible that the 'cold' hull is 'sucking' the heat from the decks as aluminum conducts heat very well.

But, (and this could be a big 'but') I have not noticed ANY difference in temperature between these grey decks weather they be 2 feet from the water (side decks, low freeboard) or if they are many feet from the water (top of pilot house).

Long story short, I think this is the perfect color shade if you want a 'grey' tone.

Steve

Edge trim is brilliant white:
Thanks Steve.
I love the contrast of the white trim on your grey decks. We will be missing that, so it would just be grey on grey. Not as appealing, but it has the advantage of not looking patchy (our paint will skim the edges by a wide margin) and any deterioration was be barely noticeable.

Bestevaer II has grey decks. A bit "military", but very practical. We took this photo at KM's open day two years ago:

Pure, the latest KM Bestevaer has white decks. I like the crisp white against the grey, particularly with our navy antifouling and the navy Sunbrella that will be extensive. This is one of KM's photos:

White may win .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:27   #662

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

That is a fantastic photo of Besteavear 2's cockpit. I love the simple efficiency of it all. Its nice to know there is no real issues with having a mix of bare aluminium and paint on deck. I had wondered if the join could be a source of paint failure, but it seems its not a big issue, at least for this boat and for Steve.

The new boat is looking great, thanks for sharing the photos.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-05-2016, 05:20   #663
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You will like the white for temperature. I once had very light grey decks like on the pictures on a steel boat and could not walk them. Stepped on the white superstructure and no problem, big difference. It's what hapoens when you add some black pigment to white paint: the black pigment absorbs 100% of the energy and converts it to heat. Other pigment colors only convert a smaller percentage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:24   #664
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
A shot from the rear:
No comment...

Quote:
Thanks DDabs.
We have had a zillion decisions to make. Daunting occasionally, but oh so much fun most of the time .

Any preference regarding white or grey for the deck?

SWL
Uber Light Grey... White pops, but I think the grey looks smart too... I inherited grey decks on the Morgan, and come to appreciate the color...

Quote:
Possibly, although we have lived very happily with white for the last 9 years.
We haven't been asked about a deck colour preference yet and, as this was way down on the decision priority list, we put it in the "decide later" basket . if we go for grey it will be so pale that it won't be that different to white.

SWL
My vote!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:31   #665
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You will like the white for temperature. I once had very light grey decks like on the pictures on a steel boat and could not walk them. Stepped on the white superstructure and no problem, big difference. It's what hapoens when you add some black pigment to white paint: the black pigment absorbs 100% of the energy and converts it to heat. Other pigment colors only convert a smaller percentage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SWL...

I meant grey with white "footprint" silhouettes ... Don't forget one path pointed forward, and one path coming aft... Probably best to size off of John's feet... that way you have some margin of error... Spaced appropriately could even be a safety feature, making larger strides of running on the deck difficult...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:03   #666

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So many comments about grey heating up more make the decision much easier. Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Although I am keen to explore northern latitudes, the tropics call .

We also like the crispness of white. Yes, it will show the dirt more, but International Perfection paint can be cleaned easily.

I repainted our bow when we fitted a new anchor winch four years ago. International White was used. The bow would have to be the very grubbiest bit on a boat, and is how it looked in December after a clean:

Old 05-05-2016, 16:24   #667

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fwiw, the 1503 grey on Panope's paint chips is about the same light grey we had before. However, remember, we're a modern timber composite boat, not aluminum.

I have had the same experience Jedi described with that light grey, and we were not equatorial, merely tropical.

Since the clean white looks so great against the grey of the unpainted hull, my vote, if asked, would be for the clean white.

As an aside, I always wear polarized sunglasses out of doors, I do not wish to court macular degeneration.

Ann
Old 05-05-2016, 17:32   #668

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Well no one asked me but I think a nice Glenn Plaid would look nice on deck. Might need a bigger budget for duct tape masking off all the stripes.😀

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 17:39   #669

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Well no one asked me but I think a nice Glenn Plaid would look nice on deck. Might need a bigger budget for duct tape masking off all the stripes.��
LOL! Straight lines would make it too easy. Should we give them the challenge of spots?

Old 05-05-2016, 17:58   #670

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
LOL! Straight lines would make it too easy. Should we give them the challenge of spots?

Paisley might make a style comeback.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 20:10   #671

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Aw, come on SWL... you're an Aussie, right? So, how about some Aboriginal t ype dot-matrix designs? You'd be the only boat in the anchorage with that scheme

Jim
Old 06-05-2016, 01:52   #672

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Aw, come on SWL... you're an Aussie, right? So, how about some Aboriginal t ype dot-matrix designs? You'd be the only boat in the anchorage with that scheme

Jim
Something like this on the foredeck?

Old 06-05-2016, 02:02   #673

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Something like this on the foredeck?

Hey, ALL RIGHT! I can see that design as a logo... on the bows and on the mainsail! How cool would that be??

Jim
Old 06-05-2016, 02:30   #674

That could actually be pretty cool and feasible. Pain in the arse if you have to do a large repair to the paint but actually painting it wouldn't be hard to accomplish. You could do it using a sign cutting service to cut out all the white spaces, put down the plastic paint over it and remove the plastic. Well that's just how I'd probably do it after designing it in Photoshop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:48   #675

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Hi Ann
Thanks for the feedback. We are leaning to white, as we have now.

We debated lots about a stern anchor roller, specifying one initially, then simplifying it to twin chunky panama leads, twin bollards either side and easy access to a winch. The stern anchor is only going to be on a mainly rope rode and will not be heavy.

SWL

Right decision.

A lot of boats in the Baltic have stern rollers and even electric windlasses, because of all the bows-to shore ties and bows-to mooring, but in my experience over two seasons there, it is completely unnecessary.

I would suggest a bracket to take a Fortress kedge on the pushpit. Not permanently, but so that you can move it to there from the anchor locker when you expect to use it a lot.

Good fairleads allowing you to lead the rope rode fairly to an electric sheet winch then is all you need. Then the helmsman can steer and adjust the rode at the same time, while the second crewman gets the bow tied up.

Oops, you don't have electric sheet winches -- here is yet one more reason why you should have them. An electric sheet winch to hand for the helmsman makes stern anchoring and bows-to mooring a reasonable two-handed job, which would otherwise be fairly tricky. [/brokenrecordmode/]

Another thing often used here is a reel of Ancrolina, to make storing the rode at the pushpit easy. I also think it's unnecessary. A normal rope rode works fine; just coil it up when you're not using it and hang it from the pushpit.

What you don't want is a long chain leader like I have on my kedge. I'll be chopping it off soon.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote