Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 08:39   #646

Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Any preference regarding white or grey for the deck?

SWL
Would a shade of grey be have less glare than a shade of white?

Watching the hull being built is some of the best part of a build since so much happens so fast. The boat size seems to increase and strangely decrease as the hull is completed. Some sort of optical illusion I guess.

Then the interior starts which is a huge amount of work(time and money) and not much seems to be happening visually.

My wife does not like bare AL. I do. What to do? We do agree on paint color though. Just not on the need to paint AL.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58   #647

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Would a shade of grey be have less glare than a shade of white?
Possibly, although we have lived very happily with white for the last 9 years.
We haven't been asked about a deck colour preference yet and, as this was way down on the decision priority list, we put it in the "decide later" basket . if we go for grey it will be so pale that it won't be that different to white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Watching the hull being built is some of the best part of a build since so much happens so fast. The boat size seems to increase and strangely decrease as the hull is completed. Some sort of optical illusion I guess.
Unlike house building where room sizes look miniscule initially, to my eye the boat looks absolutely HUGE from the photos. Good thing we are only fitting out the central portion or we would likely get lost in there . As the cabinetry starts to be fitted (and with little free floor area in our design) I guess the space will start to close in.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 13:58   #648

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SWL,

FWIW, we have had both light grey non-skid and white. I much prefer the white because it is a lot cooler. It does not glare. It is, however, tricky to keep from staining in iron rich mud.

Will you guys have a stern anchor roller? a friend's Allures has one, seems like a good idea.

Ann
Old 04-05-2016, 14:06   #649

We have a very light blue/grey color on the decks and while it's a tad warmer than the white side trim, it never gets hot. We are very happy with it. Been enjoying your thread, I'd pitch a tent beside the factory and spend my mornings watching, my idea of a good time..your present boat is also a nice boat, how big of a dinghy can you get in the dink garage?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 15:03   #650

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
SWL,

FWIW, we have had both light grey non-skid and white. I much prefer the white because it is a lot cooler. It does not glare. It is, however, tricky to keep from staining in iron rich mud.

Will you guys have a stern anchor roller? a friend's Allures has one, seems like a good idea.

Ann
Hi Ann
Thanks for the feedback. We are leaning to white, as we have now.

We debated lots about a stern anchor roller, specifying one initially, then simplifying it to twin chunky panama leads, twin bollards either side and easy access to a winch. The stern anchor is only going to be on a mainly rope rode and will not be heavy.

SWL

Old 04-05-2016, 15:17   #651

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
We have a very light blue/grey color on the decks and while it's a tad warmer than the white side trim, it never gets hot. We are very happy with it. Been enjoying your thread, I'd pitch a tent beside the factory and spend my mornings watching, my idea of a good time.
My idea of good time too . Add koffie and stroopwafels and you could leave me there all day .

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
...your present boat is also a nice boat, how big of a dinghy can you get in the dink garage?
The dink storage on our current boat is something we will really miss. We call it our "helicopter pad" . We fit a dinghy around 2.4 m long on it. Not large, but the beauty is that I can launch or retrieve the dinghy on my own with motor attached in about 2 minutes. I love that independence and lack of fuss. It also means the dinghy is rarely just sitting in the water, so it gets no growth and stays in good condition.

SWL

Old 04-05-2016, 16:05   #652

Quote:
My idea of good time too . Add koffie and stroopwafels and you could leave me there all day .

The dink storage on our current boat is something we will really miss. We call it our "helicopter pad" . We fit a dinghy around 2.4 m long on it. Not large, but the beauty is that I can launch or retrieve the dinghy on my own with motor attached in about 2 minutes. I love that independence and lack of fuss. It also means the dinghy is rarely just sitting in the water, so it gets no growth and stays in good condition.

SWL
For sure, an excellent feature
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 16:16   #653

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
SWL,

We bought Kiwi-grip in the light grey since from what we've seen, the high profile texture makes cleaning the white horrible. But before we paint next week we are thinking of instead doing Tread Master stick on panels. Does anyone know if the thickness of the rubber helps insulate the surface from heating up the deck of an aluminum boat. I would love to be able to walk bare foot on deck like we could with our fiberglass boat.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-05-2016, 16:27   #654

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We bought Kiwi-grip in the light grey since from what we've seen, the high profile texture makes cleaning the white horrible. But before we paint next week we are thinking of instead doing Tread Master stick on panels. Does anyone know if the thickness of the rubber helps insulate the surface from heating up the deck of an aluminum boat. I would love to be able to walk bare foot on deck like we could with our fiberglass boat.

Matt

Matt, I have had no problems walking barefoot on our white painted alu deck, even peak summer. It is dramatically cooler than the teak cockpit floor (I need crocs on for that). And no, I don't have tough feet .

One consideration with Treadmaster is replacement. It is a huge job getting it unstuck and the deck cleaned. We have come across other boats that have said it is a nightmare (we have observed their pain).

SWL

Old 04-05-2016, 16:48   #655

We currently have the deck painted white (primer) and it's unbearable in the Florida sun. Nothing like our old fiberglass boat, which was comfortable even in peak sun.

Old 04-05-2016, 17:07   #656

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
We currently have the deck painted white (primer) and it's unbearable in the Florida sun. Nothing like our old fiberglass boat, which was comfortable even in peak sun.
Interesting info. I imagined Med summers were similar.

Old 04-05-2016, 17:32   #657

Quote:
Interesting info. I imagined Med summers were similar.
The hot deck was one of those things we didn't think of before we bought this boat. Friends aluminum boats we've been on had dark grey nonskid....we thought their hot deck was due to the dark color, not the metal itself.

We'll see if a thick coat of Kiwi-grip helps at all.

Matt

Old 04-05-2016, 18:15   #658
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Even the lightest of gray gives a lot of heat transfer compared to white.

Awlgrip color insignia white is beautiful and cool. Egg shell white is only just bearable; anything darker is too hot.

Kiwigrip? Did you check the "softsand" product? Google it and also the video about it from boatworkstoday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 19:09   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Kiwigrip? Did you check the "softsand" product? Google it and also the video about it from boatworkstoday!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Luckily heat will only be an issue for the shake down cruise in the Caribbean next fall after our refit is done. The current plan is to head north towards your home turf next spring, then eventually down towards Argentina. By the time we're done in the cold, it will be time to recoat the deck.

I figured the higher profile of Kiwi-grip will help when snows is on deck vs the typical sand/rubber added to paint. The only other product we looked at was Treadmaster, but cost and maintenance (replacement) turned us off.

Matt
Old 04-05-2016, 21:28   #660

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

SWL, I used a stock PPG color (RT - 1503, Grey) on Panope's decks. This color does not reflect light in a noticeable amount (no sunglasses needed) and has not heated to more than slightly warm to the touch in full sun. Max air temp so far about 90 deg. F..

However, (and this could be a big 'however') the boat is in cold water (50 deg.) and I believe it is possible that the 'cold' hull is 'sucking' the heat from the decks as aluminum conducts heat very well.

But, (and this could be a big 'but') I have not noticed ANY difference in temperature between these grey decks weather they be 2 feet from the water (side decks, low freeboard) or if they are many feet from the water (top of pilot house).

Long story short, I think this is the perfect color shade if you want a 'grey' tone.

Steve

Edge trim is brilliant white:

Note the contrast between this grey and the raw aluminum circular pad in foreground:

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote