Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 21:16   #1

Best Value & Quality for 45' to 50' Racecruiser

I am interested in buying a 45-50 Gulfstar 50 CC Sloop but my gut feeling is that they are a bad company and that their boat is going to cause me problems down the road.

I used to have a small boat and I'm looking to live aboard, but I don't want a crapshoot.

I am looking for a database with unbiased information on a wide array of boats, or if anyone here could steer me in the right direction, that would be good to.

Thanks in advance,

TheSaltyDog
TheSaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 23:30   #2

Have a look at a few HArdin 44' s
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 00:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Gulftstar Owners - Remember, Owners are NOT disinterested observers: http://www.gulfstarownersclub.com/
Some opinions & info’:
Boat Model - Gulfstar Sailboats

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We went with a Hanse 461 - now modified and sold as a 470. IMHO very good value for money and a top performing cruiser.
Good luck with whatever you look at but you'll find (like me) buyers can be a bit one eyed!!
Cheers
JOHN
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59   #5
cruiser

Depends a LOT on which Gulfstar you get. The 50 and various other Lazarra designs are indeed of the quality you mention. The Hirsh designed 45 is an entirely different animal, not designed at Gulfstar. It is a beefed up boat as compared to the others, intended for hull stiffness and speed. If my boat is any indication of how they built them, the sure are solid. They did have bilstering problems in the 70's, but I have a 1987 that I have almost no complaints about. I have been living aboard full time for closing in on two years now.

Please PM me for specific questions, unless everyone would like to hear me go on about the Gulfstar in public.

It's a great boat. It's a perfect compromise (in my mind) between speed and offshore ability. It has drawbacks (damn hull liner), but is constructed exceedingly well.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:51   #6

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Since you don't indicate a budget for purchase, you might want to look at the Outbound 44 for a new boat. Used, check out the Petersen 44.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am looking for a database with unbiased information on a wide array of boats, or if anyone here could steer me in the right direction, that would be good to.
For a 50 ft boat the real issues are in the details you'll only find in a Marine Survey. A boat that large can look pretty great on paper and maybe even look fine to an untrained eye. The details of the survey are going to cover the actual conditions discovered. You don't want to buy all the boats made by Gulfstar just a very specific one.

I'm sure we could come up with a biased list of boats for you. I'm not sure it would be possible to make an unbiased list. Who would do it? Actually I would go to the Owners Group as suggested by Gord. Owners are biased in that they seek solutions to problems they have in common. You'll find more real information there than any place else. I think you may have your question wrong. You really do want a very biased set of very accurate information. At least with an owners group they wear their bias in plain sight. If they can't convince you to like the boat then no one will. They will also be the first to tell you all the problems and be the best place to turn when you find a problem.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 18:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer
Since you don't indicate a budget for purchase, you might want to look at the Outbound 44 for a new boat. Used, check out the Petersen 44.
Our price range is between 80,000 - $140,000
TheSaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote