Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 05:29   #526

Re: Beneteau 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnsail View Post
Homero - You should be able to do this yourself. I watched the tech do it and it was not complicated. It's just a matter of finding the right screen, entering the new value, and then the system will walk you through the rest (i.e. turning the wheel when it tells you to etc). Next time I'm at the boat, I'll try to find the right screen and jot down some notes and/or take some photos for you. I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Do you have the Zeus2 or the prior model?

The great news is that you'll be very happy with the autopilot once the settings are right!
This is very kind of you, Finn. I have the older model Zeus. This will be very nice, since I will sail more than 500 miles in May, going to the Bahamas.
Cheers
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 10:41   #527

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Homero, if you'd like I have the same model Zeus as you have and can walk you through all the correct settings from mine system over the phone. Contact me on FB via chat and I'll send you my phone number and schedule a time.
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:40   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrebe View Post
Homero, if you'd like I have the same model Zeus as you have and can walk you through all the correct settings from mine system over the phone. Contact me on FB via chat and I'll send you my phone number and schedule a time.
That would be very helpful, Matt. You are very knowledgeable and very kind. I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Homero
homerobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 13:51   #529
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

fdm-
"for the largest reaching A-Spinnaker that they could make so that I could utilize the largest range of wind angles including one that would almost allow me to run with the wind directly astern."
Out of curiousity, have you seen polars suggesting wind almost directly astern is faster than gybing downwind? Or is this just personal preference?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 14:39   #530

Boat: O38 & J24

KKMI boat yard completed 50 hour service:
· Pulled boat and changed sail drive/engine fluids and replaced prop and sail drive anodes
· Tightened Port helm (wheel was lose and slightly jiggled)
· Also, dealer replaced chain locker windlass hand control as it had a propensity to disconnect from its locker plug
· Tuned rigging (was a bit lose - told not uncommon for new boats)
· Determined that alarm on panel we had experienced earlier was caused by underpowered batteries (apparently the solar panel itself was not fully re-charging the batteries). Also was told the boat has 3 separate electrical system alarm points that might be impacted by lower than optimal charged batteries…including some of the instruments, which might be the cause of the wind readings going on the fritz…something I will test now that the boat will be fully charged at all times
· Still have not solved the harmonics issue but dealer believes it is the folding prop…they are going to go sailing with me to help isolate it and we will let you know
· The Wednesday late afternoon sail back down the Bay from the yard was pure bliss…20 knot winds coming due west giving us a perfect beam reach for miles… sun setting through the golden gate, etc.
Matheiesen Marine Electrician completed galvanic survey and installed isolator
· Did survey and measured everything in and around the boat and said that the boat was very solid/well-built electrically…the alternator was good, the bonding system rock solid, and the wiring well executed – he was impressed with the quality of parts Beneteau used in the boat
· Regarding upgrading the 700watt inverter, he said that the wiring would need to be upgraded for anything greater than a 1000 watt inverter – so upgrading would be more complex and costly than simply swapping out to a higher (2,000) wattage unit
· He installed a DEI fail-safe, solid state isolator in the starboard cockpit locker (green wire where the shore power enters the boat). See photo. I can now leave the boat plugged in at the Marina [which the survey revealed to be moderately ‘hot’] without worry that my extensively aluminum sail drive would be sacrificed.
· He checked the solar panel and found that it was not charging well (learning about solar panels now and will report back when we learn more), but that the solar control and wiring in the boat that we had installed was done right and could handle enough panels to make the boat self-sufficient if/when we sail to Mexico or Alaska
· He examined pictures of deteriorated anodes on boat at the time boat was pulled earlier in week and he unfortunately concurred with the boat yard that that anodes were much older than 2 weeks (he estimated them to be several months old.) BTW, As suggested, I then contacted the diver and he put forth in email a reaffirmation that he changed the anodes two weeks ago …. so, I will be getting a new diver and given that others have had great luck with getting honest ones, chalking up this experience to bad karma. Didn’t mean to cause umbrage to others, but just reporting what happened
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FS GI.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	100928  
Fluer de Mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 17:07   #531

FDM--which wiring would have to be upgraded for a 2Kw inverter? The AC side is the same wiring as for shore power, and should be rated for 15amp circuits at a minimum (1800 watts) or 14 gauge wire. In any case, they carry shore power currently.

The DC side is very short and could be installed next to the batteries. That should be very short run and not at all extensive. By my math that's 0 or 00 gauge wire.

Just trying to understand the concern because I will be putting an inverter on.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-04-2015, 06:40   #532

Hellosailor, Great question and sorry for creating confusion. I said I was looking for a A sail that would almost allow me to run…as you might know, the A is at its limit when the wind is on the quarter…and wants to collapse when blanketed by the main when the wind is further aft (although because it is so easy to reef with the in-mast furling on the 38 it has been fun to experiment easing the tack line and reefing the main so that the sail keeps flying). Needless to say, on this boat I am not focused on hitting my targets or polars…if I was, I would have purchased another J boat or a C&C 30 rather than an Oceanis Cruiser.
Old 26-04-2015, 10:23   #533

FdM try fully furling the main downwind. With a big assym you should be able to get a bit farther downwind that way

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-04-2015, 11:10   #534
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Thanks, Fleur. I wasn't clear about how close "almost" was meant to be. You know, as in giving a boat "sufficient room" while racing. Can you drop a matchbook in between the two hulls? Yup. OK, that's sufficient room.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 18:53   #535

Switched the Genoa with the 95% self-tack headsail today for opening day on the bay [see photo]…perfect day for solo sailing. I am really liking the self-tacker. Separately, the day started out by meeting new dock neighbors - Italian, German, French, and Dutch sailors from Maserati Volvo Open 70 race boat (which happened to pull up on my dock in preparation for an attempt to beat the SF to Shanghai record)…pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maserati (2).jpg
Views:	242
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	101006   Click image for larger version

Name:	STJ2 (2).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	101007  

Old 26-04-2015, 23:09   #536
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
I will be getting a new diver and given that others have had great luck with getting honest ones, chalking up this experience to bad karma. Didn’t mean to cause umbrage to others, but just reporting what happened
No umbrage taken here. Just didn't want you to think that the hull cleaning biz is full of shysters. I assure you it is not.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 10:49   #537

Matt, regarding the wiring/inverter. I rechecked with the electrician about upgrading the inverter from the stock 700 watt one and he said that the DC feeder cables would need to be upgraded as well as the circuit protection on those wires (large fuse block). The AC output on the inverter would possibly need to be upgraded as well, [he could not recall if it was 12AWG or 14AWG but said that 12 would allow a 20amp circuit and 14 would allow a 15a circuit]. Also, he felt that the battery bank I have would work with a larger inverter…but the more batteries you have the longer you can run loads on the inverter. My current setup (1 X 80 Amp engine battery, and 3 X 80 Amp service batteries) would be on the small size…but OK for day trips and the occasional overnight. If we decide to cruise on the boat (SoCal or Pacific Northwest), we’d want a larger bank.
Old 29-04-2015, 11:03   #538

Had clients out on SF bay yesterday and consistently hit 9+ knots with 95% self-tack jib and stock main…boat was a rocket ship and remained in total control. JH
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GG (2).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	101162   Click image for larger version

Name:	9+ knots (2).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	101163  

Old 29-04-2015, 11:15   #539

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
Thumbs up Re: Beneteau 38

great boat updates you should make sure you keep posting your dealer they seem to really be a good one.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 13:24   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluer de Mer View Post
Matt, regarding the wiring/inverter. I rechecked with the electrician about upgrading the inverter from the stock 700 watt one and he said that the DC feeder cables would need to be upgraded as well as the circuit protection on those wires (large fuse block). The AC output on the inverter would possibly need to be upgraded as well, [he could not recall if it was 12AWG or 14AWG but said that 12 would allow a 20amp circuit and 14 would allow a 15a circuit]. Also, he felt that the battery bank I have would work with a larger inverter…but the more batteries you have the longer you can run loads on the inverter. My current setup (1 X 80 Amp engine battery, and 3 X 80 Amp service batteries) would be on the small size…but OK for day trips and the occasional overnight. If we decide to cruise on the boat (SoCal or Pacific Northwest), we’d want a larger bank.

Okay, that makes perfect sense, and is easy since the DC feeder cables are (a) short and (b) not even present for those of us who didn't buy the stock inverter. Replacing the installed AC wiring would be a real pain.

My guess is that the wiring is 15 amp/ 14 gauge. I will likely install an 1800 watt inverter, but not all of that amperage will go down any single circuit so it will be well within spec. The shore power feeds are 30 amp.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
beneteau