Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 20:49   #1

Benetau 38 options selection help needed

Hello,

I am going through the ordering process for the new Benetau 38 and have some questions regarding the options. Could you please help with the items below?

I am considering Cruiser layout 3cabin. Primary sailing area is Chesapeake Bay.

Here are items I am not clear about:

RELEASABLE INNER FORESTAY CHAINPLATE - is there any value it this?
RELEASABLE INNER FORESTAY + HOIST - same question?
GENOA SHEET TRACK LEADS ADJUSTABLE FROM THE COCKPIT - is it useful?

ELECTRIC PORT COACH ROOF WINCH - Is the electric roof winch of any usage for in mast furling main?

CODE 0 WITH FURLING SYSTEM (MYLAR) - I am planning to order this.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

FORWARDSCAN SOUNDER (FORWARD UNDERWATER VISION) - is this useful?

DOCK WATER INLET - good to have?

FOLDING BLADES PROPELLER - is it worth extra $ for this boat?

WOOD HANGING LOCKER - FORWARD CABIN - will these look too bad with removed bulkhead separator?

DIESEL FORCED AIR HEATING - good to have or there are other options?

INVERTER 12-230V-50HZ 800VA - I am planning to dump this as I will not
have the microwave. I bought cheap $50 an Amazon and used it with
great success in BVI on Bene 41 to charge laptops and cameras. Is the
stock inverter used for anything else besides microwave?

Thanks for the help!
jserge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 21:07   #2

Re: Benetau 38 options selection help needed

Please don't feel intimidated by this long list of questions. If you have a spare minute to answer just one it will be just groovy! Thanks.
Old 06-04-2016, 21:19   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserge View Post
Hello,

I am going through the ordering process for the new Benetau 38 and have some questions regarding the options. Could you please help with the items below?

ELECTRIC PORT COACH ROOF WINCH - Is the electric roof winch of any usage for in mast furling main?

WOOD HANGING LOCKER - FORWARD CABIN - will these look too bad with removed bulkhead separator?

Thanks for the help!
I don't know how the new Benes sail, but the chainplate and inner forestay are fairly difficult to add later. I would add it depending on price.

Adjustable genoa cars can be added later. Again, depending on price, it maybe cheaper to do it after.

Code 0 is typically cheaper to order from a sailmaker after the fact

Forward Sonar.... I wouldn't add it myself.

Dock water inlet.... I wouldn't add either. Since they can fail and flood boats. It's easy to fill tank as needed.

Folding prop. Depends on brand and type. Easy to add later.
Old 06-04-2016, 21:24   #4
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I don't know how the new Benes sail, but the chainplate and inner forestay are fairly difficult to add later. I would add it depending on price.

Adjustable genoa cars can be added later. Again, depending on price, it maybe cheaper to do it after.

Code 0 is typically cheaper to order from a sailmaker after the fact

Forward Sonar.... I wouldn't add it myself.

Dock water inlet.... I wouldn't add either. Since they can fail and flood boats. It's easy to fill tank as needed.

Folding prop. Depends on brand and type. Easy to add later.
When I ordered my boat, I ordered it with larger winches and I don't regret it.
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 23:23   #5

Quote:
Hello,

For bay use no, if going offshore yes. I would consider it since it will be a pain to add later.

For cruising not really.

See no need for electric winches on that size boat, other than if it will allow you to overcome physical limitation / age.

$$$$, but sweet if you can swing it

No need with soft bay mud

Skip - would not leave boat connected unattended

I think so. Or add later.

Not familiar with specifics

Nice to have but wouldn't bother unless liveaboard. Prefer simple solutions like engine heater (like a car), or propane, or electric at the dock.

This one is euro/220v.. easy enough to add later

Thanks for the help!
Just opinions, YMMV
SV Lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:22   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A lot of these are going to depend both on personal preferences, & also, how handy you are with tools. But then again, if you're asking these questions, installing a lot of these items fall into the "advanced amateur" to expert range. Ditto on designing them.
Though on the latter point (design), there are often far, far better setups than as created by the factory. The issue is knowing what they are/deciding what suits you, as well as your sailing style. Plus, how they affect resale.

So it'll involve; studying, talking to riggers, & sailmakers, spending time on other boats, & "playing with their toys".
A GREAT way to do this, is via crewing on a local racer, as you'll learn at 10x the rate that you ever will on a cruiser. Both skills & techniques, plus sails & hardware. Even the Wed. night Beer Can series is a spectacular way to learn, & they're lower key than the other guys (which is neither good, nor bad).

Also. Is this a first boat for you? What's your level of sailing experience? And what are your plans for the boat?

Quote:
Hello,

Handy to have, in one variant or another. So that you have someplace to hang your staysail, & or heavy weather canvas. Though, me, I'm a fan of a stay which does double duty. Both as a Solent Stay, & as a Staysail Stay.
That way, you have more options in terms of headsails; for both light & heavy air
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-127556.html
Do a search on "Synthetic Rigging" on here, & also, look up the company which makes Dux rigging. They have lots of ideas for a multiplicity of options for 2nd forestays.

That said, with a (textile) Solent Stay, you can hank on any size & type of jib which you desire. Which is a handy option to have, especially when you only have one other headstay, & it's occupied with a furling jib.
You can even go to a big, light air one, which for the most part, will obviate the need for a Code 0 (at 20% of the total, all inclusive, expense).

It's probably worth doing a good bit of reading on these systems. And they can always be added later. Also, Practical Sailor did a writeup on Solent Stays, though I've not read it.
Plus, take a peek at the "Saga" series of boats, for some examples of Solent's. As well as Jim Cate & Ann T. Cate's boat, Insaitable II, here on the forum. They have some pics of her posted, & she's a fractionally rigged boat, with a Solent Stay. Albeit, both of her jibs are on furlers.

These are pretty vital, as without such, you can't easily trim the jib properly. Which is both slow, & adds to your heeling moment.
But again, they can be added later. And odds are, with these especially, there are better systems (hardware) & setups (designs) available, than the OEM Factory ones.
- Again, do a bit of studying. And download all of the online rigging catalogs. Especially Harken & Ronstan. Plus, get familiar with the guys at:
Annapolis Performance Sailing www.APSLtd.com & www.MauriProSailing.com

After a chat or three with them, you'll be well on your way to learning the different available types of gear & hardware.

Look at Harken, & Garhauer. Schaefer too. And if you've a mind to DIY, there's lots of info on how to install your own tracks. Ditto on adjustment systems.

No need for power winches on a boat this size.

I've done a LOT of research on these, along with their associated hardware. It's in here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-163122.html

That said, be careful with how you throw the term Code 0 around. As the real deal racing sail, is a LOT different from that which most cruisers have, & how they use the term. Even/ESPECIALLY on here.
The racing sail, & it's hardware, is a very specialized sail, ditto on the hardware. And both are mucho Expensive.

I know that it gets light, wind wise, on the Chesapeake (I raced & sailed there, 5-6 days/wk for 4 yrs). But unless you have a burning need to SAIL upwind, when it's blowing 3kts, the $10K to set you up with one of these is likely better spent elsewhere.
It's not like you have a late 60's era, heavy Swan, with a short spar/small sails. And thus, Need the sail area.

But the knowledge is; in the link above, & found via talking to North, & other sailmakers. However, DEFINITELY take a look at North's guide for sail types, & their useful wind speeds & angles charts.
Also, there's this handy "tool" http://bethandevans.com/sail_combinations.htm

Pass!

Pass!

You're most likely going to want a higher performance, lower drag propeller. However, there's a laundry list of options & makes of them out there.
So you're better off doing some studying on them first. And if you have a burning desire for one right now, snag a used one at Bacon's or similar. Until you have a chance to study on propellers. Regarding which, there's LOTS of info on them on here.

Can't say, don't know the boat.

Handy to have, especially where you are, if you sail for most/all of the year. Though there are other options too.
But inquire with a local company or three as to the cost of installation by them, & compare it to the Beneteau's specs & prices.
Plus, again, you can study on them a bit. Especially as it'll be October before you'd use it much anyway.

It depends... on how tight you are with your other half/Mrs. & or kids; including what toys they like to run.
Because as a boat owner, you'll have Lots of new friends & company

Thanks for the help!

PS: In addition to the link to the one area of Beth Leonard & Evans Starzinger's site, up above, their site is a great place to get some schooling.
And these books, are literally priceless to own (hard copies of) too, by Steve & Linda Dashew http://www.setsail.com/?s=books&x=0&y=0
Albeit, now it appears that they're free for download as well.

Oh, & once you get the new "toy" (boat), please post some pics & video of her (& you enjoying her).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:44   #7

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

both of these are for offshore, so depends on your use.
absolutely. Without this when you partially roll up the headsail, you cannot shift the sheeting position for correct shape, unless the sheet is released.

ELECTRIC PORT COACH ROOF WINCH - Is the electric roof winch of any usage for in mast furling main? not required IMO.

Does anyone have any experience with this? can you get a jennaker option? Maybe an A2? Way more versatile

again depends on use. If you sail in coral, or poorly charted areas, then these really are great!

DOCK WATER INLET - good to have? i wouldn't, unless possibly I was going to live aboard at the dock

yes, but price other options to see what's best value. I like kiwiprops

no opinion

again depends on sailing area. Great to have if its cold!

an inverter is not efficient for charging laptops etc, use a 12v laptop power supply like a belkin. A good true sine wave inverter can run almost any mains power device incl blenders, vacuum cleaners or power tools. Useful to have
Old 07-04-2016, 04:07   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Hello,

I would pass on these two for Chesapeake.

Yes this is a nice feature.

The only practical use with in mast furler would be to put the dink on deck. Having said that I would buy the traditional main and the winch. You will be sailing in light air and the tradition main preforms better.

Yes this is a very nice option well installed.

For skinny water this would be nice.

No they sink boats.

Yes

Yes you need the storage.

Yes to extend your season, or sail south.

I like built in inverters, charge everything, run blenders, toasters, etc.

Thanks for the help!
Also get the shower on port side if you are getting the three cabin. I chartered this boat in Croatia last September and it has as much room as my 2009 40. Make sure you get the helm seats, they are optional. Also get the upgraded cockpit table.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:35   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On the heating system. If you're planning on living onboard, in MD, then you're going to want Diesel Forced Air, AND another heat source or two as well. Preferably ones which require little to zero electricity.
So how much time you're spending aboard her, is the key factor in that too.

Again, some of that's covered via Beth & Evans, & also the Dashew's. Ditto via other research, like liveaboard forums. I hear there's a good one for Nova Scotia. And they'd KNOW about heat.

PS: I 2nd going with a roachy, full battened main for the Bay, & the E. Coast.
Yeah, Spring season's windy, but... that's what reefs, & the inner forestay (Solent or Cutter Stay) are for.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:05   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for the help!
Forward scan sonar is on our must have list for our full instrumentation upgrade in june. Primarily for sounding entrances and new anchorages as we start cruising this year. Assuming B&G. The cost is not great.

We have an Espar diesel forced air heater. Worth its weight in gold.

As for inverters, we have a freedom 2000W and 2500W spare. We hardly use them now as all our systems are 12V. Including a full business network. We use small 300W inverters for the TV and for laptop charging.

We do have some intermittent AC loads we run from the inverter. Bar mix, iron and toaster. We liveaboard and work aboard.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:08   #11

I recommend a pure sine wave inverter, mine is 2000w continuous. Think of all those high voltage appliances and tools that you might use around the house and on a boat with shore power, albeit briefly (soldering iron, hair drier, coffee maker etc). Would you do without these just because you're anchored out somewhere or, like us, visit ports that don't have shore power. Cruising is not about suffering. a microwave using 600w makes hot chocolate for 2 in 6 minutes and uses 5 amps. I only do that once a night.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:46   #12

Thank you all for help! I will need to read this few times and go though the suggested links. Very valuable info.

This will be our first boat and we would like to have it setup is such a way so it could grow on us. I like the term "advanced amateur" .

We did few charters here in Chesapeake and in BVI and took probably all the sailing classes available.

We are planning to keep this boat with Sailtime for first few years. It hurts my feeling a bit but it seems this is the only way we could justify having the boat and keeping up with the jobs/stuff.

Thanks again!!
Old 07-04-2016, 05:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
I recommend a pure sine wave inverter, mine is 2000w continuous. Think of all those high voltage appliances and tools that you might use around the house and on a boat with shore power, albeit briefly (soldering iron, hair drier, coffee maker etc). Would you do without these just because you're anchored out somewhere or, like us, visit ports that don't have shore power. Cruising is not about suffering. a microwave using 600w makes hot chocolate for 2 in 6 minutes and uses 5 amps. I only do that once a night.
Is your inverter a separate box or it is permanently installed? I suppose you installed it afterwards, correct?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:54   #14

Boat: Oceanis 45

Congrats on the new boat. Make sure any of your boat mates in Sailtime understand the use of electric winches. Great power assist when needed but they can do a lot of damage when in the wrong hands.
Myknjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:25   #15

Quote:
FORWARDSCAN SOUNDER
This one is a must for us.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote