Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 19:42   #46

Re: Anyone recognise design/origin of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
No advice each man lives with his own best, The boat loks somewhat like a Kingfisher English built back in the 60's and 70' I do believe they were Bilge Keel Boats. The Cabin trunk was not that high.I was on one once and it did not have standing headroom.
Ok, thanks, I'm not familiar with them, this appears to have a conventional keel, perhaps someone's home grown mod?

No response from the seller yet. Perhaps I upset him lol.

AussieGeoff
AussieGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 19:58   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone recognise design/origin of this?

He's a CF member and is following this thread.. figures he'll get more than $500 parting her out and selling the hull for scrap...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:47   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He's a CF member and is following this thread.. figures he'll get more than $500 parting her out and selling the hull for scrap...

Was starting to wonder, however I managed to SMS his phone and got a response, he hasn't been in the office but will email me tomorrow morning. I suspect he's the owner of the yard - some kind of scrap yard or storage yard judging by the piles of pallets. Possible the original owner left it there and hasn't been paying the storage fees or something I suppose. Probably means he'll be happy to get rid of it cheap. Let's hope so.

AussieGeoff
Old 11-02-2014, 06:12   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anyone recognise design/origin of this?

Best wishes.. hope it turns good for you.. all along the line..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:49   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Originally Posted by AussieGeoff;1464541The [SIZE=5
The gentleman [/SIZE]from Portugal who posted a pic of a Caprice 19 is the closest I've seen so far.
AussieGeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Oiiiiii... easy with the insults.. we've only just met.. Bruce...
HAAA! I thought the same thing when I saw it...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 15:46   #51

Boat: Viking 30
I have seen this boat. She was moored for years in Warnbro Sound Safety Bay. Then moved to the front yard of a home in Rockingham where she sat for another year or so. One thing you can say is..... Distinctive.
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 19:25   #52

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

An odd group here. The poor guy asks a simple question "Anyone recognise the design or build?" and everyone jumps on him and gives a lot of totally unasked for advice, and then insults him for even thinking about buying it.
I only saw two or three posts that even tried to answer his question.
Sorry mate - no clue here what you might be looking at.
Old 27-02-2014, 03:12   #53

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
An odd group here. The poor guy asks a simple question "Anyone recognise the design or build?" and everyone jumps on him and gives a lot of totally unasked for advice, and then insults him for even thinking about buying it.
I thought they were remarkably polite about the project at hand (we are on the internet after all). I thought a thx should have been rewarded to some of the excellent advice (MarkJ for one). IMO.
Old 27-02-2014, 03:32   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
I have seen this boat. She was moored for years in Warnbro Sound Safety Bay. Then moved to the front yard of a home in Rockingham where she sat for another year or so. One thing you can say is..... Distinctive.
Thanks for that. Fits with what I was told. I'd agree with the 'distinctive'.

Haven't heard from the seller for a couple of weeks now, so I assume she's been sold on locally.

AussieGeoff
Old 27-02-2014, 03:46   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I thought they were remarkably polite about the project at hand (we are on the internet after all).
Well, all well intended advice, however I can't shake the opinion that it's based on US situations and availability. Let me tell you that in the entire state of SA (which is somewhat bigger than Texas) on Boatpoint right now there is a grand total of 26 sailboats for sail, including dinghys. This is fairly normal for this part of Oz. Plenty on the east coast, some in Melbourne (around 50 or so in Melbourne I think) but the east coast has literally hundreds and the prices are much better.

West coast has some - prices aren't too bad. What I found a touch unsettling was that I was quite clear what my budget was and was constantly told to forget it and get something for $10k plus. Unworkable. Then how much work/time etc it would be. Yes, I got burned once, but I was also very unlucky and the market was a lot higher then than now. The issue is getting something from the east coast home - by truck is not an option due to cost, a 5000 buck boat would become a 10000 buck boat just with shipping. So the only way would be to sail it.

The west coast 25 footer was an alternative. It's small enough to ship as a backload (west to east trucks are mostly empty) and small enough to stick in my yard here or at another location while it was worked on.

Overall the advice was well intended, and I understand where they are coming from, but the advice seemed to be just forget it, you don't have the money if you can't shell out 10k plus for something local, wait til you can, unfortunately I probably won't live that long, so my options are limited to buy cheap and fix it yourself, which if you ARE prepared to do the hard work, is more work than money, if you get the core of something decent.

There really aren't that many boats here for sale. I'm looking into a boatyard back of a marina that might be a prospect in Adelaide, which is still a long haul by sea (3 days or so most likely) but perhaps doable by truck or boat trailer. Depends what's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I thought a thx should have been rewarded to some of the excellent advice (MarkJ for one). IMO.
Actually I'd agree, I'd not noticed the 'Thanks' button there and yes, there was good advice and MarkJ was one that gave it. I'll bear that in mind in future. This boat looks like it was sold locally and this is something else I'm plagued with. The 30 footer in Pt. Lincoln that was 'local' was still a 300km plus drive and despite arranging to inspect it and no hint others had already looked, it was sharply disappointing to get there and find it gone.

Boats elsewhere seem to go long before I can get to them to inspect. It's really, really, difficult to buy a boat in SA, particularly a cheap boat, a boat that might sell in SA for 10-12k is often more like 3-5k in Sydney.

AussieGeoff
Old 27-02-2014, 03:59   #56

Quote:
Well, the advice is well intended and I accept it as such, but I'm not sure they all understand either the local situation (trust me, Oz is NOTHING like the US in this area, particularly where I live) or the costs involved (for me a steel or ferro hull is the cheapest and easiest to work on (for different but equally valid reasons) - in the case of the steel boat, it would be incumbent on positioning it on dry land in a particular location, but I can do that.

Quote:
Well, that seems unanimous, looks to be a one off, possibly a mod of something better known. The Caprice is certainly a similar hull. If it was local I would have been all over it the first day and probably bought it, but 2500km is a long way to go just for a look and the only boat for sale within 20nm of me (and that's sea miles, by land about 100) is around $38k - nice boat but my pockets aren't that deep. Aside from the odd runabout or other o/b fishing boat, sailboats for sale here (IIRC there are about 6 sailboats at most at what passes for a marina here) happen about as often as total eclipses so I have to look elsewhere and finesse the issues that raises.

AussieGeoff
Old 27-02-2014, 12:35   #57

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Geoff,
You are really remote from the sound of things. That takes to fun out of walking the docks to look at boats, doesn't it?
Let us know if the owner replies and I for one would never discourage anyone from falling in love with a boat of any kind because I've done it over and over. I'll just say that you can count on things costing much more in the long run if you buy a fixer upper instead of a boat that is currently sailing but needs just a bit of work. I think that's been said before but I just want to restate that point.
Good luck in purchasing your new boat.
kind regards,
Old 27-02-2014, 13:17   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

go out sail that boat..have fun.. you will figure out the whats and wheres and hows when you are sailing it....thing will save you yard fees....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 18:31   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Geoff,
You are really remote from the sound of things. That takes to fun out of walking the docks to look at boats, doesn't it?
Yeah, does a bit. That takes all of ten seconds here. Lot of little fishing boat/runabouts et al, but sailing yachts larger than a bathtub, no, a handful at best.

Quote:
Let us know if the owner replies and I for one would never discourage anyone from falling in love with a boat of any kind because I've done it over and over. I'll just say that you can count on things costing much more in the long run if you buy a fixer upper instead of a boat that is currently sailing but needs just a bit of work. I think that's been said before but I just want to restate that point.
Oh yes, well aware of that. Some things you don't find until you start pulling it apart to fix something and discover something else. Been there, done that (a ferro witha keel full of steel punchings that had been infested with water and was pushing the floor up).

Quote:
Good luck in purchasing your new boat.
kind regards,
Thanks mate, still no further word so I'm guessing it's gone, one of the more annoying things is that people sell their boats and leave the ads going, sometimes for months. But he'd promised to get back to me if it didn't sell and he hasn't so I'd say someone local grabbed it. If somewhere to put it wasn't an issue for them it would be a great fixer upper.

AussieGeoff
Old 27-02-2014, 18:34   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
go out sail that boat..have fun.. you will figure out the whats and wheres and hows when you are sailing it....thing will save you yard fees....
Heh, yard fees are a non event. The only yard it would go in is mine, or a mates trailer factory. There are no 'yards' here anyway. None. The Council owned marina has a heavy cradle trailer they rent cheap to marina tenants and you can have it for about 100 or so. Bit more if you aren't a tenant, you have to bring the boat to one of the ramps to bring it ashore, they're public and don't have any fees. Theres a small chainlink fenced enclosure to put your boat while you work on it tossed in.

A berth at the marina is about 300 a year. There are no swing moorings, no room and/or deep enough water. The rest of the harbour is mostly taken up by a swing basin for the big ships, nowhere to put any swing moorings.
Fees and Charges Register 2013/14 GST

BOATING FACILITIES
Set by
Council or
Legislation

13/14 FEE

FISHERMANS JETTY MOORING FEES
Annual Fee $316.00
Temporary (24 hour period) $30.00
Replacement Key $16.00
Refundable key deposit - all Fishermans Jetty Bookings $50.00

BOAT CRADLE EQUIPMENT & MAINTENANCE FACILITY