Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 20:44   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Anyone near Miami? This boat.

The E40 has a potential serious problem.
The diesel tank is located UNDER the engine. The driveshaft log exits the hull near the fuel tank. Over the years the diesel tank becomes pitted and eventually leaks to the point where it becomes unusable.
I have seen three solutions to the problem. One owner abandoned the original tank and installed a bladder tank in a locker. Another did the recommended fix, removing the engine and then replacing the tank. A third actually cut a hole in the side of the hull, removed and replaced the tank, then reglassed the hull.
Check the Endeavour owners website.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 07:16   #17

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Definitely bottom feeding.

That boat looks like it is long overdue for a complete refit, perhaps $100,000 worth of work, if you get lucky.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 07:41   #18

On the interior pix, look at the wood under the portside ports, behind the settee, and especially the bulkhead between the ports. Things always look better in pictures, and even in the pictures that bulkhead looks ready to crumble.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 19:07   #19

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

There are a great many boats selling for short dollars that are between 30 and 40 years old. The sad truth, no matter what anyone says, is that these boats are at the end of or beyond their service life. There is no part of these boats exempt from the effects of age and the need for close inspection. The depth and extent of repairs is beyond the skill set and pocket book of most folks. Why would you repair them? Forget breaking even on the money you spend. It's not going to happen. Nobody is going to buy a 40 year old boat at all, unless you get really lucky. Look at the 40 foot Endeavour in NYC. $75k all last year and still no bites. Owner probably has $100k or better in it. It's beautiful too.
Lets see, 34 year old boat living in Fl. . Probably in the water for years at a time without anything more than a short haul. Blisters are almost a given. There's $20 k right there. On a newer boat, you might be looking at some sub standard wiring done on an instrument installation. Perhaps you would be doing many assorted small maintenance tasks. On THIS boat, it is more likely you are doing bulkhead replacement, Perhaps tearing off the entire toe-rail teak and redoing the hull to deck joint. The rudder has been in the water as long as the hull. Price a replacement for that too. Very few rudders are intact and solid after 30 years. The deck is soft. I don't care what the broker says. Deck repairs are $10 to $15k. These are not jobs you are going to do in a weekend or two. These are jobs that can stretch out for years for a DIY. After all those years and all that $ the boat will be worth what you are looking at spending today. About $30 k, after you put $50/80k into it after you bought it. Not to mention the four years you spend on the hard doing those repairs. FOUR YEARS you might have been on the water. Are you nuts ? I like restoration work but I doubt I'd take that boat for free. Good luck.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 19:32   #20

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

And... long before a boat becomes 30-40 years old, issues with tanks begin popping up; tanks that the boat was probably built around. All hoses... etc. Wiring and electrical panels...$$$
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 20:19   #21

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
If the broker replied that if has an electric wench... Well I would probably read between the lines the rest of his reply something like:

I have found no soft spots on the deck. Because I haven't actually walked further than the pontoon, She has a solid engine because it's made of steel (or metal) the sails and rigging are in great shape because the bags look nice. Even an electric wench to help pull out the main.

She is price where she is because she needs a lot of cosmetic, mechanical, electrical, generally everything and anything to do with spending money kind of work. Her deck has the spiderweb cracks, the hull needs paint, after removing the last 40 years of paint, the interior needs some carpentry because someone tried to fix up the last guy that tried to fix her ups fix ups. At least the port side ports need to be re-bedded and sealed because that's where all the mould and rotten woodwork is on the interior(ports themselves are in good condition).

Someone at the yacht club bar said She sails very nicely, is a heavy (she's sitting 4" below her DWL) solid cruiser. With some years and years work she will be grand ( old) again
That is so funny because its so true...I've met brokers exactly like that.

The best boat is always the one you haven't seen yet. And then you see it.

When a good (old) boat is for sale, usually someone down the dock, or at the same club grabs it up. The boats on ebay and kijiji are mostly the unsellable boats, looking for a newbie with more money than brains.

I live in Kingston Ontario, and this spring I have seen no less than 6 FREE boats. Hard to even give away. My dock neighbour found his rudder on his alberg split after the long/cold winter. Must have been water in it...a lot of water...it was toast. It wasn't just the cost of the repair, but the crane to hoist up the boat just to get the rudder out (full keel), storage for the boat while out of commission, then install the rudder, then pay for another launch. And thats just the rudder. He decided to sell the boat. But since the marina needed a deposit for the season, he gave the boat away free, so that it would be done, and saved having to pay for the season.

I checked my rudder. It looks ok.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami