Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2009, 18:04   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
pirate Any Columbia 27' owners here?

Hi, I've done my research on the Columbia 27'. And it seems reasonably Seaworthy for a smaller vessel, the fact that it was made in Australia and now lies in Chesapeake Bay is testament to that. But I was hoping that there was someone here with first hand experience of cruising with this boat that may have some advice for mod's that may help etc...
Here's her current inventory:-

Builder/Designer
Builder: Columbia Designer: Columbia Tiller Dimensions
LOA: 27' LWL: 21'3" Beam: 9'4" Displacement: 7300 Draft: 4'4" Engines
Engine(s): Yanmar Engine(s) HP: 15 Engine Model: 2 cycle Tankage
Fuel: 20

Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Accommodations
Sleeps 4 using V berth and cabin settees. Forward berth with insert and removable panels under for storage, plus 3 opening lockers underneath. Aft to port is the head compartment with marine toilet (new '98) and holding tank. S/S sink with foot pump, Nicro solar powered vent (new '99) and one opening port. Hanging locker opposite below a sliding panel storage area, shelf and opening port above. Main cabin next with bulkhead mounted folding table, and port and starboard settees. Standing headroom in main cabin. Generous storage above and underneath ssettees. The electrical panel is behind the companionway ladder along with a sizable shelf. Interior is oiled teak marine plywood. Main cabin has 4 large non-opening windows. New teak coaming boxes in 1998.
Galley
Galley is aft with sliding panel storage and Origo 3000 stove (new '96) with hinged cutting board cover to port, under counter storage and three deep drawers. SS sink with foot pump and ice box to starboard.
Electronics
Autohelm autopilot, Garmin 45 GPS, Guest SEV electrical system monitor, AM/FM CD player with IR remote, Jensen 6x9 TriAx speakers, VHF radio, Metz masthead antenna, Moor-EMS analog wind direction display, digital depth sounder (new '98).
Electrical
Two 12V deep cycle marine batteries in the port lazarette, circuit breaker panel with battery selector switch, 110 volt shore power system with cord, dual circuit battery charger with ammeter; 35 amp alternator, 500k candlepower spotlight
Deck
White fiberglass hull with blue boot stripe and red cove stripe
Additional
CABIN SOLE NEEDS WORK, NEEDS COSMETIC WORK, Force 10 BBQ grill, flotation cushions, life jackets, fenders, docklines, Ritchie cockpit compass with inclinometer, cabin fans, screens for companionways and hatches, one danforth type anchor with 150' rode and shower sump installed.
Sails & Rigging
NEEDS JIB, Mainsail with one reef point, 135% genoa and 110% genoa, Blue dodger with attaching captain's awning, blue mainsail cover, lazy jack system installed which allows for easy dropping of mainsail. StreamStay roller furling system, 2 Lewmar winches, Forestay and backstay replaced 1994, halyards and roller furling lines replaced in 1998, new reefing and outhaul line 1999.

Work I have planned so far:-

Wind and solar power (with regulator and extra 100 aH deep cycle battery)
New jib as well as extra reefing point on the main and set of storm sails.
Cosmetic interior work and 12v fridge.
Electrical 12v electrical points, and 600w inverter.
Replace all lights with LED's for power saving,
Check sea-cocks and replace if necessary,
Engine over-haul,
And new anti-fouling,
I am also considering building a wind-vane auto-pilot (I have studied this and think that my skills are up to the challenge).
Have I missed anything?
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 19:01   #2

Oh yes, I also plan to install a reverse osmosis pump - 5 Stage Reverse Osmosis RO Water Filter + Pump + TDS! on eBay, also Water Filters, Small Appliances, Kitchen, Home Garden (end time 27-Jan-09 16:31:05 GMT)

and 12v dehumidifier.
Old 30-01-2009, 04:56   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Well to be honest Captain Jaz your boat sounds like every other 30 year old boat. Not saying it wont do the trip because it will and I am planning a trip on my Mirage 27 of the same vintage.

My worries are that you said your Standing Rigging was new in replaced in 1994, that was 15 years ago. I would certainly replace all Stay's and hardware. Check the Chainplates, and replace all pins and hardware at the top of the mast.

I am looking forward to reading about your journey, keep us informed to how you are making out.

Cheers

Waverider
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 05:24   #4

Thanks Waverider, yea the thought of rigging had crossed my mind... I would hope not to have to spend on that too... I think asking the advice of the surveyor when he comes round would be my best bet....
Old 30-01-2009, 05:27   #5

But after reading some threads here on the subject, if I do the work myself, new stays and a few Norsemen aren't that expensive for a 27'er... And I think better safe than sorry would be the words here....
And thats definitely the kind of work that would help my resale value...
Old 30-01-2009, 06:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

It cost me about 70 dollars canadian to replace my Stay's on my last boat a Mirage 24 so how much more can it be for a 27 foot.....maybe 100.00 a stay. Well worth the piece of mind and. Do you have pictures of your boat, and you should join our group "The small boat Cruiser" love to have you there.
Old 30-01-2009, 07:03   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Jaz,

I would like to add my strong recommendation to replace all the standing rigging ASAP if you really intend to go to sea. It sounds like the shrouds were not replaced in'94, so who knows how old they are, and 15 years (the age of the stays) is well past conservative life expectancy for an offshore boat.

I may also have reservations about the Streamstay. I had a headfoil by that name many years ago, made by Hood, and it was NOT a furling/reefing system, but rather a racing foil. What this means is that it was not designed to withstand the high torque generated by a partly furled sail. I'm not sure if this is what is on your boat, but you might want to check it out with a rigger or sailmaker.

Again, good luck with your project

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone, Qld Oz
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 07:29   #8

Yea, I agree the furler may well be cause for concern, it looks serviceable from the pic's, but who knows what its like inside?? And before you ask why I didn't get a survey done first... for $2000 I would of brought it what ever the outcome of the survey was!! (and I have a reasonable budget to fit her properly... about 100-150% of what I originally paid for her)
Yea I'd be interested in that group Waverider... got a link?
Btw.. I loaded one pic of her onto my profile now, there should be another three at the top of this thread.
Old 30-01-2009, 19:21   #9

With backing plates... whats your opinion? S/steel or possibly treated teak?
My thought was for the teak to do less damage to the F/G...
(not to mention cheaper) That should be ok for this boat u think, or not?
Old 31-01-2009, 04:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Captain Jaz

Just go up to the Quick Links botton and click go down to social groups and you will see all the groups availible. I dont know why they dont have a groups button, hopefully they will put one on the main menu when they revamp the website.

As for your backing plates, I dont really think it matters as long as you are secure in that they are seaworthy.
Old 31-01-2009, 05:48   #11

Cheers, year I found the groups thanks... and they are a bit hard to find if you don't know where to look... they need a separate tab...
Cool, yea I suspected as much about the plates... always good to get a second opinion though, cheers.
Old 31-01-2009, 05:53   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
For backing plates you want something that wont compress under load over time and wont swell if they soak up some water.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 06:15   #13

Kl, well I've seen and read about people using teak... I assume that if its properly treated beforehand it should to the job well...
Old 16-02-2024, 20:21   #14

Boat: Columbia,Sloop,27 ft.
Re: Any Columbia 27' owners here?

G'day from Sv Gemstar. I have just
bought an columbia 27, at present my boat is on the hard stand having a few repaires done. Currenly living on board as the work progresses . I have an vlog on ytube SV GEMSTAR, be uploding an vlog soon.
Sv Gemstar ao Airlie Beach north QLD Australia.
Tron Alpha is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia