Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 21:21   #1

Amel vs Hans Christian

Hi All!

First post here for me!

So here's is the story:

I'm Theo. I have a dream to sail for a few year (pretty much like everyone here), mostly tropical areas in search of some good surf. My sailing experience is limited to smaller size boats and about 14 years of kitesurfing. I am also very handy and have a lifetime of experience flying airplanes, helicopter and paraglider which gave me good knowledge on how the air works and weather forecasting.

Now, I've been doing research on boats and learning for about 8 years, reading books, searching online, etc, and I think going with a Monohull 45/55ft makes sense for what I am looking for:

-Carry about 4 full time crew
-Carry some sport equipments (surfboards, kites)
-Be safe and relatively easy to sail (everyone makes mistakes at some point)
-Between 150k and 250k

A few boats match this requirements. Personally I always liked the layout and exterior look of the Amel Super Maramu, but lately I came across a Hans Christian Christiana 52 which seems to check all the boxes.

Anybody has any opinion on the pros and cons of each? Any other boats I should be looking at?

Cheers
theocerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:27   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Amel vs Hans Christian

Honestly I would look for both and buy the boat that is in the best condition and presents the best value. They’ll both do what you want them to do.

That said as a platform for water sports adventuring you might want to expand your list to include catamarans. You could pick up, for example, a Lagoon 380 in your price range that might give you more livable space and storage for toys.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37   #3

I have owned a Super Maramu for several years. And I have sailed a HC Christina. Both are great boats. Different styles, but both very nice.

Your price range is a bit on the low side for a well maintained example of either, but with good shopping and a bit of luck you might find one.

Amels have some systems set up differently than most other boats. Someone maintaining one needs to understand that, and not make changes that can cause problems. An HC has teak decks and lots of exterior bright work. Fine if you love that kind of maintenance...

I put a lot of value on the multiple watertight bulkheads on the Amel. They have the driest interiors of any fiberglass boats I have ever seen. You clean bilges with a dust brush.

Be careful of interior wood rot on an HC.

Your looking at boats that are getting older. The level of knowledgeable care and maintenance they have received over their lifespan will be critical to you enjoyment.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:59   #4

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Nice HC but I think it has teak decks and there is no mention of how much water is onboard (maybe 210 in another ad-

https://casitassprings.americanliste..._44675345.html

BIG mainsail for slab reefing. Only one electric winch mentioned (Lewmar 52 for halyards). No mention of bow thruster. Fischer Pandas can be real trouble, and are used when space is tighter than normal for a genset. PHRF at 105 is quick for a cruising boat, and she is lighter than typical (think Tayana 52).

Not many built, questions on keel material and how attached, bottom paint history, good survey to look for voids, and again that teak deck. But lice looking boat.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:03   #5

Both nice boats but expand your horizons a bit in that size range; Taswell, Hylas, etc. The HC has a lot of teak to maintain, and they are getting long in the tooth.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:49   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hello Theo,

I think I nearly bought this boat about 3 years ago. I walked away as the deck was wet and the boat needed a new teak surface...

Unless this boat has a new deck, think the worst until proven otherwise.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 22:49   #7

Hi all,

Thanks for all the information!

I got a hold of the owner of the HC, he says the standing rigging needs replacement as it is 15 years old as well as the teak deck that is the original one (30 yo).

If I were to make an offer in the future, how much do guys think each of those (synthetic teak deck and new rigging) would cost to be replaced? Also, assuming these are the two only issues with the boat, do you believe fixing it would make for a good boat or it is simply too old and not worth it?

It seems like everyone here is leaning against that boat because of possible issues and heavy maintenance, even though we all agree it's a beautiful boat.

I thought about cats but I usually can't stand how ugly they look, except for higher end models, like the outremer 45 which is out of my price range!

Cheers
Old 06-12-2017, 08:48   #8

Boat: Hans Christian 41

We live on a HC, they are fantastic boats and i would not swap her for an amel!, BUT it is a big BUT; you are must be prepared to be proactive with maintenance. Simply sitting in the cockpit enjoying g&ts is not the life of a HC owner, we spend most of out time working through a list of jobs that never shrinks ![emoji3]

Luckily that is my idea of boat ownership, (along with the occasional beer of course), but if you are thinking of relaxing for months at a time with no projects to do, do not buy a HC. If you enjoy working on boats and figuring out problems AND you have the time and inclination to care for the boat, then maybe the HC is for you.

The pay off of owning a HC is the sea kindliness and ridiculous over engineering of the build, chieften tank is putting it mildly, nothing happens quickly on a HC ! , plus of course: the row away factor: something no catamaran or Amel will ever give.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it turns out to be.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:52   #9

Boat: Boatless

If you want to explore and not work on teak the Amel.

Yes. I ran an HC as a charter captain. Yes, I’ve delivered an Amel.

Both great boats but big trade offs

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:04   #10

The TS maybe be a better design than my HC38, but the HC 38 couldn't sail well at all except in lots of wind and not on the nose. yes built like a tank though. It loved to roll and wallow in troughs !

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38ft cedar-strip custom design

May I suggest you take a look at Choosing a Cruising Sailboat before jumping either way?
demacsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:08   #12

Thank you all for the incredible feedback!

I will pass on the HC since it is not my goal to be fixing problems and cleaning teak all day long (even though I tend to enjoy it).

I will wait to see what boat appears for sale close to my location, I am not in a rush since I am not planing to depart in 2 years from now.

Once again thank you

Cheers
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32   #13

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The TS maybe be a better design than my HC38, but the HC 38 couldn't sail well at all except in lots of wind and not on the nose. yes built like a tank though. It loved to roll and wallow in troughs !
I've had my HC38 Mk2 at 7 knots (hull speed 7.7) with just my 150 jenny up (inexperienced day guests onboard) in 10-15 winds. The hull drives easily, but is slow to react to sudden changes. This are good features in a cruising boat.
The teak is labor intensive in upkeep, but the aesthetic enjoyment makes up for this for some people.
I happen to get a kick out of total strangers stopping by and telling me i have the most beautiful boat in the marina or anchorage.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41   #14

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by theocerbo View Post
Thank you all for the incredible feedback!

I will pass on the HC since it is not my goal to be fixing problems and cleaning teak all day long (even though I tend to enjoy it).

I will wait to see what boat appears for sale close to my location, I am not in a rush since I am not planing to depart in 2 years from now.

Once again thank you

Cheers
2 year departure means buy soon, learn the systems and expect 2-3 months on the hard in the boat yard to get the needed work done.......yes yes yes it only LOOKS like 2 weeks work.......do it all before you depart because it will be cheaper....

Good on you for passing on the HC........anyone who has deferred replacing the standing rig has probably deferred other major system work......and on a boat that size you pull all the teak deck off repair the sub deck and glass it over......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:45   #15

What an interesting dilemma. ..choice one, very pretty,high maintenance and lower performance. .choice two, a look only owners come to love, lower maintenance and reasonable performance.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote