Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 14:07   #46

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Aft Cabin pros cons

Nice post Jim.
Its also good to accept there are great health benefits to be had from the small inconveniences that come from living on a boat.
I do a little Tai Chi stretching every night as I climb/creep over from the inside berth to head for the head. I'm now more flexible than I was 5 years ago.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 15:07   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We will use our aft cabin for storage, our IP has a sort of midship Pullman berth with the head forward of that, mast is right beside my head.
In any real sea that forward head is really unsafe, you will find yourself airborne at times if you go there.
Underway I tend to sleep in the cockpit a lot Wx dependent of course.
I only have been on passage for four days at a time too though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29   #48

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

Good points all.

For 18 months, we've been actively seeking and travelling to find what I consider is the perfect blue water aft cabin between 38 and 46 feet. The verdict is that we are now actively on the hunt for the best example of (in order) a Bavaria Ocean 40 or 44, Freedom 45 (unstayed mast), Moody 422\425 and Amel Sharki 39 or Maramu 46, While it may not seem like it, this is a very short of least of dozens of marques personally investigated and inspected.

Good luck with your search...hope you're having as much fun as we are!
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:49   #49

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The 41 has a limited head room above the bed in the aft cabin. Not enough to sit straight on the bed. At least I could not. I have not been to the 44, only to an older 45. The 45 has adequate head room to my taste in the aft cabin, but essentially no ventilation. The 44 is marginally better ventilation wise. Neither 41 nor 44 have room for a washing machine installation. Something that I would not want to live without for 10 years.
We looked at the ds44 at the annapolis fall show. To me it looked like you could put a washing machine in place of the bottom bunk, just aft of the v berth.
I didn't have any problem sitting up in the aft berth, and I'm a very tall 5'7;-)
We were quite taken with it, definitely our favorite mono at the show.
There wasn't a 41ds there so I couldn't compare.
From what I've read in reviews, the 44 is a good improvement over the former 45, again I haven't been on the 45 so just going off others reviews.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 18:52   #50

Boat: 2012 Jeanneau SO 44DS

I think the 44DS was the way to go for my family. I have a Jeanneau 44DS with the dock and go 360 which makes life super easy as this was my first sail boat. Its my first and only sail boat and I can single hand this boat with ease. Have you decided yet and pulled the trigger?
Fulmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 19:24   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 44 DS

I haven't yet pulled the trigger, but it is looking like the 44 ds is in my near future. I'm wondering right now if Jeanneau is going to spring another ds model on us this year, I'm thinking yes. The aft cabin is really selling me. Does your model have the forward bunks or the desk? I'm thinking I do want the bunks for the boat I get for extra storage
johnnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 20:24   #52

My forward cabin has the desk and 2 large lockers as well as the bed. The desktop lifts up and has storage underneath and to the right there is storage as well. There are tons of bins for storage all over the boat. I had someone place an offer on my boat last week and his name was John Jaso. Was that you?
Old 30-05-2017, 21:08   #53

Ha! ya that was me
Old 02-06-2017, 20:09   #54

Did your broker tell you all about the sail boat? Since the offer was made sight unseen I wasn't sure if you had all the info. There was a lightning strike last year that wiped out all the electronics on my boat. As of 3 months ago my boat has had $90,000 worth of new equipment installed which means it's all covered for 2 years like a new boat. New navigation system, autopilot, sensors, new A/C (3 units, forward, main cabin and aft cabin), pumps, TV, refrigerator, batteries, alternator, etc. Also, it has 2 refrigerator/freezers, power salon table that lowers all the way down so you can turn it into a queen berth. The docking 360 which is a $25,000 option is replaced and new as well as teak cockpit, bimini, dodger and cockpit cushions.

Right now the boat is on the hard. So normally when you buy a boat you have to pay and haul it as part of the inspection. This is the cost of the buyer doing his due diligence but right now you don't have t pay for the boat to be hauled as it's already out of the water. That is because it's getting a new bottom job and I'm having the hull and topsides washed, compounded and waxed. Oh yeah and new sail drive. Plus the hours on the engine and generator are very low, I believe under 50 hours each.

That is why we were shocked at the offer especially without having seen the boat. We countered but never heard back. Everything is negotiable, It was jut too low after all I've put in, plus the broker gets a 10% commission. If you came back with a more reasonable offer I'm sure we could work something out. It is a great boat and the joystick control makes docking for a novice super easy, believe me, this was my first sail boat and it was a breeze. No other used boat on the market has all these features and with everything under warranty now it's actually more of a new boat than any of the others. I really hate to get rid of it but sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you have to deal with it. Just food for thought.

Here is a link to the pictures I took on my boat and posted here about 3 years ago. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-129720-3.html Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 04-06-2017, 15:00   #55

Thanks for sharing that info. I did not know any of that. I am a serious buyer and I'll be making another offer but it is looking like it has to wait till July or beginning of August. I am definitely purchasing a boat and I'm pretty set on the 44 DS at the moment. If you have anymore current pics of the boat I'd love to see them!
Old 04-06-2017, 16:05   #56

Boat: Hanse 575, 57' Sloop

I have a Hylas 49 (for sale actually) with an aft master cabin.

Others have pointed out the benefits from an "interior" perspective. I'll agree with those points but extend to another perspective. Aft cabin (usually in a 50' boat) means center cockpit and that can be a dryer ride, a bigger cockpit, and an aft deck for the dinghy or a couple of chairs and a sun shade when at anchor.

Good luck!

Rick

S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49 #057
Portsmouth, RI
S/V Black Diamond - Hanse 575 #161
Portsmouth, RI
Black Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 16:41   #57

Boat: a sailing boat

Basically, like any other cabin, it helps you keep the day area neater. The boat feels more like a landbased home then - a place to sleep, another to read, and a corner to eat and quarrel.

Overall, I always prefer the aft cabin to the forecabin - better light, better movement, better ventillation, everything.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 23:45   #58

Easy answer - aft cabin. As long as you have lots of ventilation.

I've 3 portholes and the opening to the companionway. V is the garage. Guests prefer the long, wide pilot berths or double dinette. Honestly, imo I think an aft cabin with pilot berths is the best set up (sea berths when underway). Otherwise, the V needs to be huge (like and Islander 36's v) to be comfy for a couple (ok for single) to get over the foot space dilemma. If huge, most likely the head and shower are cozier (if say under 43) Or so my exp.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 23:51   #59

Totally agree b. He is right. Like I mentioned utilizing a berth as the garage really helps with clutter and being able to liveaboard/cruise with all the comforts of home without them in your way or in your face.

Plus, the compartmentalization of the aft berth really feels like your own space, like a 1 bedroom vs a studio apt. Plus, if like Hooked, like a huge pullman aft berth, it takes up just enough space to be tucked away without taking up an entire large section of the boat.

If you are a couple or a family I highly recommend it.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Basically, like any other cabin, it helps you keep the day area neater.

b.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 14:30   #60

Boat: Tayana 52

At anchor you may have chain noise in vee berth but most use a snubber so no issue. Aft cabin is ok but stuffy and with wind generator noise.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin