Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 14:01   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: A Question About Rough Weather

yes, ann, excactly.
sailing pacific in summer is a biiiiig unknown, as storms form weekly and as needed.
is a very active named storm basin.
some years more so than others. this year was intensity, and number. we almost had winnie, but ther pooh didnt show up, thank goodness. and so we only had 21 named storms this summer.
usually we only have 19 or so. locally sailing is done between named wonders, but long distance stuff is usually planned for fall to spring months when no named storms form in epac.
of course there are those of us who dont concern selves with time of year and seasons for sailing.......
plan well and know what you need to look for in changing weather situations so you can figger out early your battle plan and prepare..

and then there is rimas, who has gotten to not too far from pago pago and cannot manage to enter harbor...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 15:29   #32

Boat: pacific seacraft 25

get a cup of tea. go to youtube. put skip novak in the search. your boat can probably take more than you can
hobocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 23:12   #33

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobocos View Post
get a cup of tea. go to youtube. put skip novak in the search. your boat can probably take more than you can
Very true. There have been some abandonments in recent years where I have to question if they did not give the boat too little credit. Wolfhound being a notable one.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 00:19   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Very true. There have been some abandonments in recent years where I have to question if they did not give the boat too little credit. Wolfhound being a notable one.

Onno
I believe Wolfhound as spotted a year later - still floating.

And I believe some guy found her and tried to tow her into port but finally had to cut the tow because of high waves.

Probably still out there somewhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:06   #35

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Probably still out there somewhere.
Yes a real shame. She was a lovely boat, as evidenced by the videos by drakeparagon. She was still called Bella Luna at the time, but it is the same ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=I_LKGpltiQE

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:27   #36

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Yes a real shame. She was a lovely boat, as evidenced by the videos by drakeparagon. She was still called Bella Luna at the time, but it is the same ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=I_LKGpltiQE

Onno
Hard to imagine abandoning a boat like that unless the water was up to your knees.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:13   #37

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hard to imagine abandoning a boat like that unless the water was up to your knees.
I'd rather stay in a knee deep boat than a wet raft any day. She better be heading to the sea floor before I pop that canister and step off.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 17:43   #38

When I first learned to sail, I relied on NOAA forecasts and a barometer. I heard of the "well heeled" owning such things as a weatherfax but it was out of the price range for mere mortals. The barometer, however, never let me down. I didn't know everything back then but I was able to chart a better course and/or reef early and be prepared for what was coming. Even today, if I had the latest and greatest weather predicting equipment on board, I'd still have a barometer, and I would rely on it as much now as I did back then, no matter how sophisticated the other stuff is.
Old 12-12-2014, 18:21   #39

I loved my old recording barograph. It would pay attention even if I forgot to check every 4 hours. Unfortunately it went when I sold my last boat. There is probably an electronic gadget that does the same thing but doesnt look nearly as good at the chart table. Barometers are only useful if you check them often, and better if you record the readings, so your exhausted brain doesnt forget what it said 4 hours ago. This gets back to the OPs original question. In my opinion, fatigue is the biggest danger in rough weather. Dry bunks, hot food, and rest make for a safe boat. Just another 2 cents worth. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 18:35   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Barometers?

That falling needle says so much. I think analog is best for giving a clear sense of falling (and degree of it) when one watches it (over a little time) drop, drop, drop.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 19:28   #41

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
...and then there is rimas, who has gotten to not too far from pago pago and cannot manage to enter harbor...
He made it into Pago Pago. (Got towed in.)
Now tied dockside on the (new) floating docks in the revamped marina.
Haven't met the chap yet.

Difficult to believe he and that lil 'ol 24 footer made it from Wash State to Hawaii (To where else?) and then to here.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather