Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2006, 09:14   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sceptre 41

Hello All:

The Islander 36 in Mexico was a bust (see Mexico or Bust) so I raised my spending limit and found a real nice Sceptre 41. Problem is this time instead of being South of the border this one is NOrth of the Border in Vancouver BC. Our offer was accepted verbally (the broker is in England, Seller in Florida) and we are making plans to go up and see her in the next week or so.

We fell in love with Sceptre's and had a look at one that was in SF BAy. It hadn't been kept up very well and they were asking $149k for it with very dated electronics and old canvas and general neglect. We decided not to make an offer b/c it was going to be so low to upset the owner and b/c don't have time to take on the project. The day after we decided not to take on the project another Sceptre came on the market. Better equipment, just went through a major refit, and well we made an offer that we could negotiate up from. They accepted. I hope the trip North works out better than the one South.

The adventure begins anew.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 09:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
WTG Charlie! BEST of luck on that - do keep us informed! I think that for a cruising couple who like some comforts and stowage, a 38 to 42 or so boat works best. OBVIOUSLY some folk can go smaller; some have to go larger. At 6' 6" .. I had to go larger.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 09:46   #3

Thanks Thomas:

We are excited. She looks really nice and has just gone thru a substantial refit. Mostly cosmetic work to go for a full refit. We can do that.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 17-06-2006, 10:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Congrats Charlie. Is that the black hulled boat on Sceptre's web site? Hope your trip is an enjoyable one.

Deep.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 11:33   #5

Yes Deep:

It is actually midnight Blue. I'll be interested in seeing what the color looks like in person.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 18-06-2006, 01:44   #6

Hey Charlie.

Congrats. And hope the deal goes through to that boat being sold off to you!!

Please post any updates of your venture to the "great white north" turns out?

Also looking forward in seeing some photos too!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 08:17   #7

I'll do that Kevin. If all goes well I will be going up to the GWN next weekend

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 18-06-2006, 09:34   #8

Congrats Charlie,Hope you fall in love with her as much as we love ours. Keep us posted.Richard BlackS/V SaetaSceptre 41
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 21:32   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
GWN? Nah, that's Lotus Land...<gr>
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 06:28   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Charlie!

Congrats! The Sceptre is a wonderful boat, nice layout and very good size range. I am sure you will love her. Great sailor too and well built. I looked at one and would have gone for it but they were outside my spend range.

Best of luck!

John
s/v Invictus
Hood 38
lying Stuart FL, heading to the Keys
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 09:10   #11

Hi John:

Good to hear from you. Looked at the Hood 38 as well but the decks were a mess. Beautiful boat though. A little tight for a family of four but the joinery and craftsmanship were exquisite.

We fell in love with the Sceptre. Hopefully all will work out. Have fun in the Keys. We chartered out of Islamorada two years ago and figured you could spend a lifetime or two just cruising the Keys. Let us know what you find and where you are off to.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 12-12-2014, 10:32   #12

Re: Sceptre 41

I'm looking at a 1988 Sceptre 41 and was wondering if the hull is cored? I can't find any information online but someone mentioned that they thought the Sceptre 41's had core in the hull? If so, does anyone know what kind of core, balsa?

Thanks,
Todd
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:22   #13

Re: Sceptre 41

Hi Todd:

The hull is not cored. They are fine boats. If you have any other questions I may be able to answer them and If I know how to get you answers. The main problem with them is their age. They are getting a bit old. I have been thru my boat from stem to stern. Is the one you are looking at:

1) single or dual spreader mast. When was it last pulled? If/When was the standing rigging replaced?

2) Engine hours?

3) Leaky ports?

4) How old is the Electronics?

Mine is located in SF and if we can find time I would love to talk to you about it. Send me an IM.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad