Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 18:23   #1

1981 30' US Yacht

Iam looking for any and all information pertaining to 1981 30' US Yachts. Are they solid boats, will be sailed in Lake Erie.
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 19:16   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
US 30

Built by Bayliner in Washington state, based on the IOR rule as a half ton. So they have a typical IOR shape of that era. They sail quite well in light to moderate conditions but have difficulty in rough conditions. The hulls have held together okay with only minor blister problems that I am aware of. The mast head rig is by Kenyon and quite satisfactory. The deck under the mast has collapsed a bit on some botas but the rigging may have been too tight. They are roomy inside but the V berth and stern areas have less spce because of the pointy ends. They rate about 185 190 PHRF from memory, so about the same as a C&C29 or a San Juan 30. I would rather have a C&C 29 but there is less room in that boat but I think it is a better unit. None of the boats I have mentioned so far would be my choice in that size range for cruising especially in rough conditions. LOA 29" 11" LWL 25" beam 10" 3" displacement 7000 pounds ballast 2850 sail area 381 sq. feet, headroom 6" 2" J 12" boom 9.17 so big headsail small main, big chute and pole, okay for a Wednesday night race boat and cruiser for two, but not up to the standards of a more moderate displacement boat as a heavy weather cruiser and they have some bad habits because of the IOR type shape. Anything else you want to know? Also they may have a cored hull as that was about the time Bayliner started experimenting with cores. The hull on my 1982 US21 was fine but the balsa cored deck turned to mush in one area.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:33   #3

Mike Thanks for the info.. Iam looking for a 30+ for about $20,000.00 .......i know that it wont be getting a whole lot but i don't mind fixing her up just so the structure is sound....I live on lake Erie and the lake can turn into a real beast....i need a boat that can take the pounding....what boats would you suggest ?? also what are the plus or minus to center cockpits...Thanks Rick
Rick S is offline   Reply With Quote