Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2011, 19:06   #151
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
-Great recommondation, great fast boat as well and if i had 900,000 NZ dollars to spare at todays excahange rate id probably grab that one listed with the VAT tax allready paid. However i think a condo with dock and modest yacht is safer as i wonder how much i lose in depreciation over a 5yr period on this 900k yacht. Cheers
You're not informed correctly. The Sundeer 64's were sold new at $450k so they are a very good investment. 2003 rebuild value was estimated at 1.2mil.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 21:47   #152

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
Thank you…..
As for being hard on me, this was a drop in the bucket compared what I go through on a daily basis in business for myself!
I have learned a great deal this week and think we have made the right decision for now. Also, I get to get back on the water a little sooner.
This sail arena is completely different than power. I would not have a second thought of buying a 55 Fleming and being able to handle it quickly, here though the learning curve will be much greater…
Mark
Yea, been there too. You gotta have some thick skin but I found it all worth it; otherwise, I couldn't have retired early with a home in Thailand and a sailboat in the US.

Whatever you decide, just don't wait too long. Sooner is better than later. Remember life can be short ... we just never know how much we have left.

Peace.
Old 29-06-2011, 01:29   #153

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft
Look at Amel boats. Like you I have been looking at boats, trying to see what was the best out there from a cruising point of view. All the boats mentioned, are fine cruising yachts, but for comfort, safety and ease of cruising an Amel is hard to beat. It's a boat designed to be sailed by a couple, I know of one oyster owner who watched as an Amel pass him in mid atlantic decide what would be his next boat. It does not matter if the boat you buy is brand new, maintenance starts the moment you step onto a boat. At least with a young second hand boat, a lot of the niggles have been worked out, plus you usually get a lot of extra kit.
Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 03:30   #154

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Wow, 1.5M - you must have been sponsored or have something else going well?

For that kind of money the world is your oyster and yes, there is a brand of high quality production boats called ‘Oysters”. Nevertheless, if you are a “real” surfer don’t be afraid to transfer board design to boats. You will still be relying on things like rocker and trim. Like board design you are also looking at so many choices you could almost split the bucks into a quiver of 3 or 4 boats. Thing is to cut a few losses and get the one that will keep you alive and handle most conditions.

As a surfer, like a board I would be looking for a serviceable deck and dropping the fear of getting wet; those low freeboard boats sit so well and are more fun than running to the nose of a mal and back again!

Honestly, I could write a book. Still, boats again are like boards and you have to admire the lines!

As a good starting point, for that kind of cash I would be looking at manufacturers like Morris Yachts or Gozzard. Then again, I just spent the last few hours drooling over Colin Archer ketches. I.E, never discount the classic!
How’s this one for lateral thinking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27437.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	29085  
Old 29-06-2011, 03:37   #155

Wow; did not realise how old this thread is. If the OP has not spent the cash on coke he should be half way around the world by now?

I had better get off the red wine and back to getting my meagre little ship ready to sail (while dreaming my new sails trim as well as the ship i posted above!).,,,
Old 29-06-2011, 03:48   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemac4sail View Post
Look at Amel boats.
Amels are cool - one of the few recreational boats with serious safety-wise features.,,, If I ever commissioned my own ship, I would be incorporating there waterproof engine room bulkhead and another few highpoints.

What a dream!
Old 29-06-2011, 03:55   #157

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Wow; did not realise how old this thread is. If the OP has not spent the cash on coke he should be half way around the world by now?

I had better get off the red wine and back to getting my meagre little ship ready to sail (while dreaming my new sails trim as well as the ship i posted above!).,,,
It's 6 days old Shane! Red wine? What you been smokin?
Old 29-06-2011, 04:57   #158

Oh, its an old thread already.... Its an instant gratification world! Six days is a lifetime .. I mean if you send a text message on your phone and haven't got a reply within 15 minutes then its a crisis and a search party is needed ... you can tell I have teenager's at home, cant you!

I think Ret's choice for the first trial boat is easy - its the one where he doesn't fold in middle to ensure he won't hit his head! That means the shorter boats suggested above are unlikely to make it. And its not like a house where you could probably lift the ceiling a bit if you needed to.

But a trial is the way to go. Buy quality, maintain it and you won't lose much money, if any. Once you confirm you want to go ahead with a bigger boat, then list the trial boat. It could be well before your 3 years is up. Realistic pricing will move it quick time. It will likely to take longer to find and secure (or build!) your dream boat.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 01:09   #159

Thumbs up Re: 1.5 Mil. To spend….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
It's 6 days old Shane! Red wine? What you been smokin?
I have acquired a moderately harmless addiction to Sharpe. That’s the mini series with Shaun Bean and nothing to do with needles. Last night over the few bottles and the net I made it through episodes 12, 13 and started 14. If I had a million to spend I would be back to the bottlo for another half case of red. Luckily I am dead broke, so will have to go cold turkey and get to work on the boat. As you guy’s note, a lot can happen in six days (till I get paid again).

Back to the topic, the OP should seriously consider my deck comment. I was out on a production boat today and there were things to trip over everywhere. In comparison my boat is like wandering around a bloody big surfboard; pure joy!

I note, some production boats are a lot better designed than others. For some reason - call it intuition if you like - if I had the cash I would seriously consider buying a Morris 52 daysailor for serious offshore cruising. With a few modifications it is one of the few stylish contemporary boats that is still simple and would have to be bliss to sail?

http://www.morrisyachts.com/The-Morris-M52

Now we are talking “lines”?
Old 30-06-2011, 01:22   #160

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: 1.5 Mil. to Spend….

Lots of good thoughts on here, but perhaps you should consider the following:

Will it be primarily just the two of you plus occassional guests, or do you intend having a professional crew?

What style of harbour do you want to stay in - a large marina catering to big boats, or small hidden away spots?

when you have answered these questions, the choice of boat size becomes easier. Remember that the bigger the boat, the more effort it is to move it away from a berth and out to sea.
Old 30-06-2011, 01:33   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Lots of good thoughts on here, but perhaps you should consider the following:

Will it be primarily just the two of you plus occassional guests, or do you intend having a professional crew?
As a surfer I would be skipping the crew. It’s like how this guy was telling me he met this sailor up North Mole Island who told him that being at the helm of his racing boat in big seas was like having a 40” penis!

I.e., fantasize about big wave guns and 70's keel fins, not caravans!

Oh yeah, have you ever seen Crystal Voyager?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Crystal_voyager.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	29105  
Old 30-06-2011, 20:14   #162

Made it through last night without any wine! If the OP does want to go a bit more the caravan direction here is a classic Morris that fits his original criteria and would take you anywhere with a bit more protection in the cockpit.

http://www.morrisyachts.com/Morris-51

The one bonus for a surfer in some of these boats that try to squeeze in an extra few bunks is that you have a place to store a quiver of short boards. Nevertheless, where the designers allow for semi-custom interiors, as a diver and surfer, I would be merging the multiple heads into one big toilet/shower/wet locker with heaps of space for hanging wetsuits. All those extra heads do is cause more through hull fittings that sink boats.

If you go through the brokerages you can pick up earlier models of the same boat that are even better equipped under the new price. Other high quality manufacturers have their own brokerages where you can be assured to find a bargain well kept boat of pedigree. A couple of examples are Amel and Gozzard.

http://www.gozzard.com/brokerage.php?area=&cid=1

Hey, old surfers never die; they just buy a sailboat and find a secluded tropical paradise with a sweet little point break?
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post

Hey, old surfers never die; they just buy a sailboat and find a secluded tropical paradise with a sweet little point break?
I haven’t surfed in a long time Shane, many years. Once, for me anyway, you get real good at something and then stop it’s hard to go back. It was time to get serious about life, raise 4 good kids, create jobs from nothing and leave something behind. But you are right it is WAY more than just a sport, it is a “way of life” that will never leave me.
Maybe one day again…..
Thanks
Mark
RetSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26   #164

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt

Mark, did I mention you need room for the longboard?
You will find lots of great little reef A frames along the way.
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 17:26   #165

Thumbs up Re: 1.5 Mil. to Spend….

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetSurfer View Post
I haven’t surfed in a long time Shane, many years. Once, for me anyway, you get real good at something and then stop it’s hard to go back. It was time to get serious about life, raise 4 good kids, create jobs from nothing and leave something behind. But you are right it is WAY more than just a sport, it is a “way of life” that will never leave me.
Maybe one day again…..
Thanks
Mark
Mark,

I met a very competent surfer and shaper the other day who said similar. Once he started losing the reflexes to carve on a short board he gave it away. As a starting point, he has now bought a nice little trailer sailor that he can enjoy with his partner and daughter.

For me the cruising lifestyle is also a the logical extension of all the time I have spent around the ocean also doing a lot of spear fishing, some commercial fishing and time on dinner cruise boats. Having that intimate knowledge of the sea and a bit of intuition of its nuisances is really something money cannot buy. As above, don’t be afraid to use this wealth when finding your ship.

Get back out there soon, Shane