Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Polar Regions
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 15:11   #1066

Re: Global Warming Opens Up Antarctic Waterways

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
So. Jack (aka Copy and Paste Champion) After missing a few days of posts.
Why don't you follow suit and present some evidence instead of complaining when others do?
Old 07-04-2015, 15:14   #1067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well, feel free to show us the disasters. If you want people to return the the stone age in order to return to your 1880's climate, ya gunna need an ironclad case, good sir.
Feel free to show us where I said we must return to the stone age. Feel free to show us where the (... damn, what's another word for supermajority besides 'consensus' that won't give some the vapours??) ... big bunch of climate scientists...said we must return to the stone age.

A link, and the actual text of what the combined national academies of science (including the US) are asking of government was posted about 10 pages ago. If you like I could find it for you. Go by that, not by what some echo chambers tell you is on the table.

You'll sleep better, I promise.

[I see here and elsewhere that you're starting to parrot all the tired old denier tropes again. They were lame then, and they haven't aged well]
Old 07-04-2015, 15:15   #1068

Quote:
Dang Jack. Where did that Copy and Paste come from? Hmmmmm.
:

The results of a Google search on my post.

Quote:
"past" (and any subsequent words) was ignored because we limit queries to 32 words.
Your search - "Burning wood releases CO2 that would have been released through decomposition. That ... - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.
Hint - I wrote it.
Old 07-04-2015, 15:16   #1069

Quote:
Whilst AGW may be occurring, the disaster component only exists in the minds of those trying to over hype or profit from the situation.
Alarmist fear mongering.
Old 07-04-2015, 15:18   #1070

Quote:
Lake Effect. I think Jack is pretty committed to armeggedon ....or am I reading his copy and pastes wron.....
My wish is for a self-negating prohpecy.
Old 07-04-2015, 15:29   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect

- wind and solar generation will NEVER work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Well I can agree with you on that one. There isn't a wind farm in the world that makes money. No conspiracy, just simple money or the lack of it.
When steak is absurdly cheap, few people will order the chicken. When the restaurant run out of steak and you're still hungry, chicken will become quite popular.

So it still makes sense to order in some chicken, even though steak is still cheap.

(btw renewables are an emerging industry. And coming along nicely. Or did you think the technology would develop itself?)
Old 07-04-2015, 15:51   #1072

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Feel free to show us where I said we must return to the stone age. Feel free to show us where the (... damn, what's another word for supermajority besides 'consensus' that won't give some the vapours??) ... big bunch of climate scientists...said we must return to the stone age.

A link, and the actual text of what the combined national academies of science (including the US) are asking of government was posted about 10 pages ago. If you like I could find it for you. Go by that, not by what some echo chambers tell you is on the table.

You'll sleep better, I promise.

[I see here and elsewhere that you're starting to parrot all the tired old denier tropes again. They were lame then, and they haven't aged well]
The only thing I parrot is my opinion.

I'll assume the personal attack has started because you have nothing concrete to offer in this debate?
Old 07-04-2015, 15:58   #1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Alarmist fear mongering.
When you get to the point where you start to post links to papers about CO2 causing problems with vegetation growth. Yes.
Old 07-04-2015, 16:24   #1074

Quote:
When you get to the point where you start to post links to papers about CO2 causing problems with vegetation growth. Yes.
Peer reviewed science - try it some time.
Old 07-04-2015, 16:48   #1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Peer reviewed science - try it some time.
I don't care if it's beer reviewed. It's clutching at straws junk science. Like your global warming of Antarctic peer reviewed papers that "conveniently" neglect to mention that ice sheet area is expanding, no mention of possible geothermal interactions and the fact that at the rate of alleged volume loss the simple maths is 80 000 years 'til it's all gone.

Was it also peer reviewed science that gave us 6 degree Celcius temperature rises and 2.4 metre sea level rises by 2100? Not to mention the famous Hockey stick.

Even your original post that started this thread was hype (was it peer reviewed too? - I cant recall) leading to this endless back and forth now occurring.
Old 07-04-2015, 17:29   #1076

Quote:
I'll assume the personal attack has started because you have nothing concrete to offer in this debate?
If you can ignore something concrete in the very same post, and even in your quote from it, then yes I guess I've never had anything of interest to offer you.
Old 07-04-2015, 18:02   #1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If you can ignore something concrete in the very same post, and even in your quote from it, then yes I guess I've never had anything of interest to offer you.
Umm, I requested some proof of unfolding disaster. You tried to disprove my reference to returning to the stone age, which is a metaphor. Apologies I didn't make that clear. I'm sure we won't need to go beyond the Bronze

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-04-2015, 18:16   #1078

Are we reaching a positive climate change tipping point? | The Guardian
Quote:
Are we tipping the right way? One of the great environmental stories is of how catastrophe can creep up and be noticed only when it is too late to act. Examples range from the sudden, inexplicable collapse of bee colonies, to ice cores revealing the potential for dramatic climatic upheavals that happen not in millennia or centuries, but the time it takes to pass through a coalition government or two.

It is hard enough to identify tipping or “inflection” points when you are consciously looking, like monitoring the so-called known unknowns of future forest die-back, deep-sea methane release, ice melt and sea level rise. Worse, in complex systems, are the unknown unknowns. All you have is nebulous worry. It’s why we are supposed to obey the precautionary principle relating to any activity which at scale is capable of altering whole systems.

But this is only half the story, because when something tips, it might well fall to the floor and smash but it might also fall comfortably into your lap. It’s possible we have become so hypnotised by real and serious negative tipping points, that we’ve forgotten that things can turn out unexpectedly well too....

The latest figures on renewable energy trends from the UN Environment Programme (Unep) reveal a striking turnaround after a period in which low oil prices and policy uncertainty pushed investment down, threatening the sector. Even though oil prices remain low, world investment, largely in solar and wind, went up by 17% to $270bn (£180bn) last year, reversing a two-year dip. The new generating capacity that represents is about the same as the total output of the current US nuclear system....

It explains the confidence with which China, already the world’s largest wind power user, plans within five years to have more than double the capacity of the whole of Europe. It also colours the new, upbeat China-US climate diplomacy and is far from an isolated example.

Costa Rica may have relied on its very particular topography to have its energy system powered 100% by renewable energy in 2015, but it is symbolically powerful and Costa Ricans are enjoying falling energy prices. Also, the best energy systems should always be locally tailored....

Solar entrepreneur Jeremy Leggett argues in his forthcoming book, The Winning of the Carbon War, that three mostly independent dynamics are at play driving the change. Firstly, the numbers no longer add up in the old fossil fuel model. The costs of new acquisitions become unmanageable in a system that feasts on debt. Secondly, costs in solar and the vital link of a green energy system, battery storage, are plummeting while the sector offers attractive, reliable rates of return to investors. The Swiss bank UBS famously predicted the rapid “extinction” of the old fossil fuel system as battery costs as much as halve over the next five years....

One in four UK homes now benefits from wind power, a rise of 15% on last year, and Scotland is generating enough clean energy to be used in 98% of its homes....
Old 07-04-2015, 18:41   #1079
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
That bastion of unbiased climate change data - skepticalscience. Whilst alarmists like to remind us so-called deniers of the lack of credentials of those outspoken against the 97%, perhaps you should do some homework on one Mr John Cook

Now, because you quote and that makes it hard to highlight some anomalies, let me point out that the amount of unadulterated sunlight falling on the Earth is around 1100 watts per square metre. Your graphic illustrates that anthropogenic + natural CO2 is contributing 0.2 watts per square metre. Regardless of how accurate that measurement is, do you see a problem at all with 0.2 vs 1100?
Whatever happened to "Lord" Monckton. He was ever deniers favorite ... ?and then suddenly he wasn't. Getting caught lying about your royal status is apparently worse for the cause than lying about your scientific credentials.
Old 07-04-2015, 18:59   #1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Whatever happened to "Lord" Monckton. He was ever deniers favorite ... ?and then suddenly he wasn't. Getting caught lying about your royal status is apparently worse for the cause than lying about your scientific credentials.
It's actually easier to support my "angle" of making mountains out of molehills with no practical solutions using Mr Cook's site, thanks for asking

P.s. anyone but me ever notice how all the comments on skepticalscience seem a little odd and appear, for the most part, to be written in a very similar style??
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, water