Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 06:16   #1

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27
Skilled Engineer/Electrician Looking To Help You Sail Your Boat Across the Atlantic

Am looking to crew for a boat sailing from the Med to the States in March or April 2017. I am an American citizen that is repatriating to the US after living in Egypt for 19 years. Could take a flight back, but thought that getting some blue water experience would be more fun and an alternate way to go "Home" after all these many years away.

About me. 54-years old, no medical issues, physically active. Work in the yacht repair industry here in Egypt (seen some serious nightmares, let me tell you), so I understand yacht and boat technical systems. Retired US Navy IC-man (basically an over-educated marine electrician) proficient at electronics, electrical, piping and plumbing systems, hydraulics, welding and metal fabrication, and diesel engine troubleshooting and repair. Familiar with Navigation as well.

water sailing">Blue water sailing experience? Zero (not counting years at sea on Naval ships here). Owned a couple of sailboats back in the States years ago and sailed the Lower Chesapeake Bay for about 10 years. I understand coastal sailing and sailing theory, but also realize that Blue Water sailing is a totally different animal altogether and I would be on a learning curve. That, and I've been away from sailboats for the better part of 20-years.

Now after reading all of this, there is probably absolutely no reason why anyone would hire an old guy like me to crew their boat, right? Yeah, an old guy that is still healthy and active, has an understanding of sailing systems (and will need direction on any particular boat, which is normal), proficient at technical systems, and comes cheap!

Am looking for passage back to the States, as was previously mentioned. More than willing to share provisioning costs. Work me hard and teach me as well. I pay for airfare from here to wherever the boat is located in the Med.

Full CV available upon request.

Best Regards

Tags
electric, engine, engineer, sail