Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 09:43   #1

Olympia, WA Day Sails Over Winter

I'm a relatively new owner of a 1972 Columbia 26 sailboat located in Olympia, Washington. Since the weather has turned I have had a problem luring my family and friends to go sailing with me. So I'm looking for some crew to help me get out sailing more often and get more experience. I'm open to day sails around the south sound and possibly a few short cruises to the north sound or San Juan islands.

As for me, I'm a 35 year old father novice sailor. I may not have a lot of experience but I feel comfortable enough to single hand my boat in most conditions. I have a pretty laid back personality and get along with most people. My schedule is pretty flexible since I work from home so I can go sailing most any day with enough prior notice.

However there is one issue with my boat that I would need help with before we could take off sailing. My foresail halyard is at the top of the mast after the broken snap shackle the previous owner had rigged shut with wire broke while under sail. I have a safety harness to use to climb the mast but I need the help of someone experienced with a non self tailing winch to grind me to the top. Or if you are inexperienced in grinding and willing to go to the top of the mast I can grind you instead. I should also mention that I have a new snap shackle to replace the broken one.

Thanks for reading and happy sailing,

Stephen

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SV Boadicea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:29   #2

Re: Olympia, WA Day Sails Over Winter

Hi I am a experienced sailor over 20 yrs working on boats and for boat. now I am based in Vancouver Island, If you can come up here, we can take this journey together.
kind regards
itororo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 20:49   #3

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

I keep my Cascade 42 at Swantown D26.
I'm there almost every weekend, driving up from Portland on Friday nights.
Stop on by and I will give you a hand. Usually we take the boat out for the weekend except this weekend I'm doing some small projects.
Tim

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by itororo75 View Post
Hi I am a experienced sailor over 20 yrs working on boats and for boat. now I am based in Vancouver Island, If you can come up here, we can take this journey together.
kind regards
Thanks for your response but unfortunately I don't have my passport yet so I can't make it up to Vancouver Island. If you ever make it down to Seattle or further South please let me know. Good luck with your travels.
Old 25-10-2016, 08:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
I keep my Cascade 42 at Swantown D26.
I'm there almost every weekend, driving up from Portland on Friday nights.
Stop on by and I will give you a hand. Usually we take the boat out for the weekend except this weekend I'm doing some small projects.
Tim

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks Tim I really appreciate the offer and I will definitely take you up on it. I will try to make it over to swantown this weekend.

Stephen
Old 30-10-2016, 09:02   #6

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

HI Stephen, I am also an interested in joining you as a crew member, and maintenance helper, as your various project might need. I'm a few weeks away from my relocation to the Pacific NW, on the Columbia about an hour south of you. I'll be working there for Dec-Feb and would have weekends free, mostly. But I'd probably not be there in time with your mast climbing - depending on how that works out, but I'd be glad to help with that or anything else that might be helpful.
I'll PM with my CV, but quickly I'm ASA105 w/118 as well as RYA Coastal Skipper certified. Have sailed out of Gig Harbor last June, as well as 30 days Mexico to Panama Canal and other adventures, from 47' down to 27'.
Cheers
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 17:39   #7

Hello Stephen,
I can help you out with your halyard pretty much any day after work. I'm in Olympia; I have a method of self climbing with my harness (no winches needed) and have done this countless times. Lifelong sailor/bowman.

-Chris
HypersonicPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 07:49   #8

Hello Stephen,
I will spend my Christmas Holidays in Seattle and would like to get some sailing.
Quick Bio:
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Non smoker
60 years old, great shape
Coaches high school tennis
Avid tennis player
Can cook, not a chef
Married, has two grownup daughters both lives in Seattle
I live in Ottumwa, Ia.
Certification ASA 104
Sailed:
Lagoon 47
Catalina 22
Hobie 16
Laser
Santana 20
Lagoon 450; (From 10/26/2016-11/14/2016, nearly 900 miles crewed and sailed from Aguadulce, Spain to The Straits of Gibraltar onto Tenerife, Canary Islands)
palmiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Boadicea View Post
I should also mention that I have a new snap shackle to replace the broken one.

Stephen,

Please save yourself future grief and do NOT use a snap shackle for your halyard. Use a halyard shackle instead, 'cuz that's why they made them.

West Marine
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Boadicea View Post
I'm a relatively new owner of a 1972 Columbia 26 sailboat located in Olympia, Washington. Since the weather has turned I have had a problem luring my family and friends to go sailing with me. So I'm looking for some crew to help me get out sailing more often and get more experience. I'm open to day sails around the south sound and possibly a few short cruises to the north sound or San Juan islands.

As for me, I'm a 35 year old father novice sailor. I may not have a lot of experience but I feel comfortable enough to single hand my boat in most conditions. I have a pretty laid back personality and get along with most people. My schedule is pretty flexible since I work from home so I can go sailing most any day with enough prior notice.

However there is one issue with my boat that I would need help with before we could take off sailing. My foresail halyard is at the top of the mast after the broken snap shackle the previous owner had rigged shut with wire broke while under sail. I have a safety harness to use to climb the mast but I need the help of someone experienced with a non self tailing winch to grind me to the top. Or if you are inexperienced in grinding and willing to go to the top of the mast I can grind you instead. I should also mention that I have a new snap shackle to replace the broken one.

Thanks for reading and happy sailing,

Stephen

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
As others have said, ditch the snap shackle it was not meant for this purpose, get a proper shackle for the halyard. Winter sailing in that neck of the woods can be wonderful fun as long as you wear proper sailing clothes as you can actually get some steady winds. If you have the money consider installing a simple heater onboard as it will really add to your pleasure. Sail over to Sucia, go for a nice walk, you'll get free dock space at this time of the year, curl up with a good book and enjoy the day. Overnight and sail back in the morning, life's good!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 10:16   #11

Hey Stephen!

My name is Brooke and I am a 26 year old female from Vancouver,BC. I have basically zero sailing experience but I am really hoping to learn. (I do have lots of climbing experience tho so I may be able to help you with that technical problem.) I would be very interested in coming down for a day-trip or two! A little about me. I grew up around BC where some distant relatives had a 2-man Catamaran that I used to sail around East Kootenay Lake by myself but that is about all the experience I've got. I now work full-time in film as an Assistant Director. The film world really slows down for the next 6 weeks so I am looking to do some fun things over this time. I am very level headed and a quick learner and would be so dang happy to come out on your boat for a day. Hope to hear from you soon!

Brooke
brookeadeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:21   #12
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Hi all,

I'm in Port Angeles........always up for a vibrant hand onboard, Brooke. Send a pm and give a yell.

And avail to help with any sailing, Steve, if you get out this way..........

ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:37   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Stephen,

If you come up towards the San Juans, let me know. I often go on weekend trips there (I'm based in Victoria, BC), and sailing/overnighting in winter is very fun - nothing like coming down to a cozy warm stove after sailing all day, and the water is a lot more quiet and tranquil - plus steady winds!

I'd be happy to buddy boat and show you my favorite anchorages.

As others have said - make sure your clothing is up to scratch. You don't need foulies, but decent camping grade waterproofs and layering is very very important. Plus lots of hot tea .
Old 22-11-2016, 15:32   #14

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Stephen

It looks like you have some offers for help and crew. Just want to say hello and remember the great sailing in your area.

We are Australians and spent a winter sailing season in the Pugeot Sound. We hauled out in Olympia when we mangled a lip seal on the sail drive. It was -10 in the cockpit and the keel broke the ice when we were re-launched. Suffice to say a heater is a must for crew comfort for winter sailing.

Enjoy - for we found the winter sailing good despite 8 inches of snow on the deck in Port Ludlow the sun was shining and the exploring fantastic. You are lucky to be located in such wonderful cruising grounds.

We are now waiting for a weather window to cross Bass Strait (known for the famous Sydney to Hobart yacht race) as we spend another summer season exploring Tasmanian cruising grounds.

Best wishes Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 19:20   #15

Boat: Passport 42

Stephen,

My wife and I live aboard our Passport 42 at Swantown dock G-11. I'm up for some day sails, etc.. Look us up!

Scott and Connie

Tags
sail, sails