Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 18:20   #16

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!
Re: New York to the med

This one is in humor, although some will definitely take it the wrong way. I think he is trying to smuggle US refugees to Russia.

Told you you would take it the wrong way.
Old 08-08-2016, 18:33   #17

Hi all thanks for all the info. I will have to rethink this now I've read all the replies. Firstly I was expecting to pay a skipper for there services at a negotioble rate.
Secondly I was hoping to get a few people (call them what you like) that would like to join this wonderfull trip. I would of expected a voluntary contribution for food drink and certain costs. (I would have thought any decent person would want to chip in with out being asked) I have never been on any passage where I havnt done so and I have over 28000 miles logged.
Old 08-08-2016, 20:51   #18

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

I have had couple of crew on an old project boat.

Both guys volunteered for the trip and I paid food and drink and some cash in hand for some real work done (not just steering)

One I will happily have join me again.

If I had just spent another year and cost of full fitting out I might not be able to pay or be so inclined to pay board and lodgings😆😆

I assume I will have to pay return flights for anyone who comes on board - pretty much a legal requirement anyway.

Again, solo might be easier.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-08-2016, 01:00   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New York to the med

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
I assume I will have to pay return flights for anyone who comes on board - pretty much a legal requirement anyway.

Again, solo might be easier.

Sent from my iPhone
Years ago skippers were advised to take/hold any crew members passports AND a sum of cash from each one to cover the cost of repatriation from the most expensive point of the journey.
Some have in the past been stuck with unwanted crew because there were insufficient funds to get them of the boat in a foreign port.. and your Embassy usually does not want to know..
Not everywhere as laid back as the Caribe and EU..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:22   #20

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It is not rocket science. Passengers pay. Crew is paid and receives free room, board and transportation. Cash pay may be zero. Guests ride free. Anybody who finds this confusing should talk to his insurance company. I do not think there are any gray areas. Disputes with crew are under contract law (verbal or written contracts). Disputes with passengers are under both contract law as well as many government regulations. Guests have no special rights other than civil law about wrongful acts.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:02   #21

I have crew a number of times on ocean passages. I ask friends who know how to sail if they want to come along. I do not ask for money... I pay all the costs of food... and their return airfare if they want. Sometimes they remain and do some tourism and pay their own after we arrive. Crew is support the trip and they can do it voluntarily or they are paid. I don't take passengers and I don't ask passengers to pay a penny for anything... they are guests and actually represent additional worry about their safety as they are inexperienced at sea... and could hurt themselves or others or the boat.

If the OP needs help crossing... he can expect to pay for competent crew or if he is lucky find competent crew who will volunteer.

Expecting people to pay to work is not only tacky... it might be illegal... and it's definitely exploitative.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:52   #22

Well all I can say is goody for you. Yes you encourage free loaders and skanks to hop on our lovely boats have a great time drinking our good wine, eating our good food trashing our boats and nicking a few charts and whatever else they fancy, then when they have got to there intended destination jump on some other poor chaps boat and do the same. If your were a real season sailed with a few thousand miles under your cap instead of a harbour show off then you would have totally different views.Experience tells a different story to yours. Inviting a few to join you so you can show off is a bit different from people that want to learn help and build houres.I havnt read so much crap as I have on here and if this is what boating is all about then you can stick it where the sun don't shine.You need to get a life maybe go on a real sail and see what it's all about rather than critisise others .
Old 10-08-2016, 05:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

ROFLMTO...
So.. you have trouble selecting/controlling appropriate crew by the sound of it.. and the 25euro/day is really to cover damage

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:03   #24

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
New York to the med

So much depends on the circumstances hey!

I can see paying for crew in greater or lesser amount - but they would surely be expected to perform well for more remuneration.

If the crew is helping out, learning a lot and having a good time then I might expect to pay less, or nothing at all.

Sometimes payment in kind might mean helping out on their project or travel, free accommodation in harbour at the trip end or flight home.

Nothing to get too excited about - play it as it comes. Karma usually sorts stuff out.

And sure I have been ripped off by one "crew" to the extent of some thousands so understand the " missing charts" feeling.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-08-2016, 09:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
It is not rocket science. Passengers pay. Crew is paid and receives free room, board and transportation. Cash pay may be zero. Guests ride free. Anybody who finds this confusing should talk to his insurance company. I do not think there are any gray areas. Disputes with crew are under contract law (verbal or written contracts). Disputes with passengers are under both contract law as well as many government regulations. Guests have no special rights other than civil law about wrongful acts.
You are absolutely correct. Also another thing to think about is if its an American Flagged boat then if a paying passenger gets injured what legal liability you may have for the injury. Especially if you have the passenger doing work. While the USCG will charge you with operation an illegal passenger boat the Department of Labor will get you for using unpaid for labor as well as not providing workers compensation insurance. The United States is not only the land of the free and the home of the brave but the place of land walking two legged sharks called lawyers.

For me. Sail alone and sail free. Gifts welcome along with a guest signing a legal release form. By the way, I'm not kidding on the legal release form. I have a second home in a well known resort condo in Las Vegas. Whenever I use the Spa I have to sign a legal release form releasing the Spa from any and all legal responsibility in case this or that happens. I would think it would be a good idea to have all guests and if you have them, passengers sign such a form.

Call me paranoid but I fear the land based sharks more than the ones commonly seen on reefs.

Tags
new york