Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 21:10   #1

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38
Need Advice on Hiring Delivery Captain

Hi, our boat is currently in SW Florida. We are interested in hiring someone to deliver to Puerto Rico in January 2015. We've already met some nefarious characters in Florida and are wondering:
- the best way to find a trustworthy, honest delivery captain
- what to expect for price/cost of delivery
- what would be expected in terms of boat condition. We generally do only coastal cruising, so not sure what would be expected for this kind of trip.

The boat is a Krogen 38 drop-keel; hull, engine and sails in excellent condition, we plan to replace rigging in December to be ready for the trip. We don't have a life raft, we have a hard dinghy with dinghy-dog type flotation. There is GPS/chartplotter but no radar. What other safety equipment might be needed?

We could bring the boat to the east coast of Florida, presumably since that's closer it would make the delivery price a little less.

thanks!
Old 17-10-2014, 21:29   #2

Boat: Various
Re: Need Advice on Hiring Delivery Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danu View Post
Hi, our boat is currently in SW Florida. We are interested in hiring someone to deliver to Puerto Rico in January 2015. We've already met some nefarious characters in Florida and are wondering:
- the best way to find a trustworthy, honest delivery captain
- what to expect for price/cost of delivery
- what would be expected in terms of boat condition. We generally do only coastal cruising, so not sure what would be expected for this kind of trip.

The boat is a Krogen 38 drop-keel; hull, engine and sails in excellent condition, we plan to replace rigging in December to be ready for the trip. We don't have a life raft, we have a hard dinghy with dinghy-dog type flotation. There is GPS/chartplotter but no radar. What other safety equipment might be needed?

We could bring the boat to the east coast of Florida, presumably since that's closer it would make the delivery price a little less.

thanks!
Two words of advice...

1-Referrals. Get them whether from brokers or shipyards or other boaters. Then talk to the person directly and well in advance. Question them. Check references if possible.

2-Pay generously in range. The better and more dependable are not going to give you the cut rates. They won't be bottom feeders. They know the value of their services and are able to get that value. Time after time I see people engaging Captains based on price and ending up disappointed.
Old 17-10-2014, 21:48   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If your boat is insured, find out what your insurance company requires...and do that.

Ann
Old 17-10-2014, 22:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need Advice on Hiring Delivery Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Two words of advice...

1-Referrals. Get them whether from brokers or shipyards or other boaters. Then talk to the person directly and well in advance. Question them. Check references if possible.

2-Pay generously in range. The better and more dependable are not going to give you the cut rates. They won't be bottom feeders. They know the value of their services and are able to get that value. Time after time I see people engaging Captains based on price and ending up disappointed.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-10-2014, 22:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Two words of advice...

Having done this I can attest to the truth of this statement. No amount of discount can make up for clogged heads and joints strung everywhere.
Old 18-10-2014, 06:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My advice is to pick somebody who has a sense of humor!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 18-10-2014, 06:32   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

What a nice trip to give someone else to do.
Can't you take two weeks off and do it yourself? After that passage you will be one hell of a salty dog.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-10-2014, 07:09   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

This is the company we use for deliveries. Won't be the cheapest
http://www.st-barts.com/deliveries/
Old 18-10-2014, 09:25   #9

I have Hired two...first was the worst disaster ever.
Second, the guy we are all looking for. I found him through USHIP his ID is roadcoyote. I looked for his email and can't find him. I know he has a contract with one of the sailboat makers to transport by water from somewhere on the east coast down to florida. And moves a couple boats every year to Belize. The fact the people hire him a second and third time tells the tale. I will keep looking for his direct email....but you can find him through uship.
Old 18-10-2014, 09:50   #10

References...and take the advice already given about you get what you pay for. If interested PM me and I'll give you the name of a woman captain who I highly recommend. She's based in Ft. Pierce.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-10-2014, 10:19   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What a nice trip to give someone else to do.
Can't you take two weeks off and do it yourself? After that passage you will be one hell of a salty dog.
Great advice, if you have the time.

I just finished laying a trip from SFLA to The VI. Once you cross the Gulf Stream the trip is a series of long day sails. As I recall the longest leg is the last leg into PR. Both challenging legs have safe spots to wait for a weather window. Just need time.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 18-10-2014, 11:53   #12

Boat: Tartan30
Thumbs up Re: Need Advice on Hiring Delivery Captain

Having been a Delivery Skipper in the past and having a USCG 100 ton Ticket I would echo what has already been said. References and more references!
Also put a LOT of detail in the Delivery Contract.....YES you need a contract!!! When I first started back in the 80's I had an Owner just hand me the keys for a long delivery. I was impressed he trusted me so much. It turned out the vessel was NOT sound, and in fact the Owners HOPED the boat would sink for the insurance. There were several KNOWN issues!
Things to have in contract is a Damage report listing issue on pick up and then one post delivery.
Specify the condition upon delivery like keeping the boat clean!
Pre authoriZe a dollar amount for repairs made at the Skippers discretion, all others need to be authoriZed by owner.
Specify schedules, dates etc.
Lay out weather parameters that boat should not be operated in.
Specify deposit amounts, and when the other disbursements will be made.
You can also run a background/police check. I magine finding out you had just given your boat to a known Drug Smuggler.....lol
There is more but ALWAYS err on the side of caution. Also specify how disputes will be resolved.
Old 18-10-2014, 14:02   #13

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
Having been a Delivery Skipper in the past and having a USCG 100 ton Ticket I would echo what has already been said. References and more references!
Also put a LOT of detail in the Delivery Contract.....YES you need a contract!!! When I first started back in the 80's I had an Owner just hand me the keys for a long delivery. I was impressed he trusted me so much. It turned out the vessel was NOT sound, and in fact the Owners HOPED the boat would sink for the insurance. There were several KNOWN issues!
Things to have in contract is a Damage report listing issue on pick up and then one post delivery.
Specify the condition upon delivery like keeping the boat clean!
Pre authoriZe a dollar amount for repairs made at the Skippers discretion, all others need to be authoriZed by owner.
Specify schedules, dates etc.
Lay out weather parameters that boat should not be operated in.
Specify deposit amounts, and when the other disbursements will be made.
You can also run a background/police check. I magine finding out you had just given your boat to a known Drug Smuggler.....lol
There is more but ALWAYS err on the side of caution. Also specify how disputes will be resolved.
Absolutely and you semi-jest on the drug smuggler but last December a charter captain was arrested upon his return with his girlfriend. He was paid $500-700,000 per trip and had smuggled $14.5 million worth of cocaine aboard. They had been following him and arrested him upon his docking and walking to shore. He would just run offshore and get it from a small boat. It was a Lazzara named "Secret Spot." The owner was not found to be involved.

Your point on contract is very important to protect both parties.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Hi Daru,

We are in Naples and have delivered many vessels to and from the Caribbean. Have 6 long ( more than 1000 mile) deliveries already this year. We are both circumnavigators and Own a successful charter company here in Naples. My E-mail is captmarlena@yahoo.com.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-10-2014, 17:41   #15

As a delivery captain myself, I would suggest first and foremost check references, experience on that route, look at the resume' and see what your intuition has to say after you talk to the potential captain. A contract is always a good idea so things are spelled out and you are both on the same page. Also, check with your insurance company for their requirements.
That particular trip in Jan can be difficult. First thing is a window to cross the Gulfstream. Once across, There are 2 ways to do it and most delivery captains (depending on the boat), myself included, will go offshore through Hole in the Wall and head east to around 25N 65W before heading south. That might be modified a bit for a landfall in PR but not much as there is current setting you west as you close the islands. The other route is through the Bahamas which is usually longer. The advantage is there are places to stop if weather becomes an issue or for breakdowns etc. My usual estimate for the offshore route is 10 days at minimum. A good weather window will help and what you are looking for is a frontal passage which will give usually a few days of good wind direction to make some "easting" This would be true for both routes.
If taking the offshore route a liferaft is a must and would be a good idea in any case. After leaving the protection of the Exumas, it's all blue water and longer stretches between a place to stop and I personally wouldn't want to be bobbing around in a dinghy if there was an emergency. Life rafts can be rented or you may just want to purchase one and have your own.
For rates, you can private message me and we can chat about what is expected as far as having your boat ready.
I hope that helps some and answers some of your questions!
All the best,
Judy

Tags
captain, delivery