Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2016, 08:28   #1

Boat: Tanzer,1976,26'
How likely is it to get on as crewman?

I'm new here, and have no experience. I'm a technician by trade, can fix anything, what's the likely hood of getting on a boat and being paid, or not paid?
Old 30-08-2016, 09:19   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Thumbs up Re: How likely is it to get on as crewman?

If you have a history of dependability, hard work and pick up things foreign to you quickly, you stand a good chance of getting to crew, unpaid on both sail and power to start and work into a paid crew position.
You might try canvassing sailing clubs to get an unpaid berth aboard a racer. Great experience and if you are flexible enough to leave at the last minute and will help out with prepping the boat and putting her away after a race, you stand a good chance of getting a permanent slot.
One of the best crew I ever engaged on deliveries was a young woman who convinced me of her worth, had good non-marine references and a history of dependability. After a couple of off shore trips, I could leave her at the helm alone, comfortable enough to grab a bit of sleep.
I believe she went on to aquire a 100 ton Masters ticket and the rest was history. The only problem I had was that she was quite attractive and my wife didn't think much of us spending so much time aboard together alone or with one other crew member! Phil
Old 30-08-2016, 21:49   #3

Re: How likely is it to get on as crewman?

Hi Capt Phil

I would like to extend on that first question. Where would you suggest to look for work? Are these forums a good place to start?
Old 31-08-2016, 07:49   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

If I were you, I would check out the crew listings for wanted crew or openings. I take it you are currently located in Australia so a good place to start is to visit your local racing and cruising clubs, post notices with your qualifications, availability, etc.
There are a number of good sources in the Sidney area as well as Brisbane and up coast.
You may find a number of cruising publications in which you can make your availability known to folks who have got as far as 'down under' then lost or decided they want crew to continue their travels.
If you get to the US, I would concentrate my search around San Diego at the end of October when a number of vessels leave for Mexico on the Ba Ha Ha cruise. That is when American insurers permit their covered vessel to sail south.
On the east and southern coasts, Fort Lauderdale and Miami are good spots to search and further north on the east coast, the Chesapeake and other hot sailing centers are fertile grounds to pick up a trip.
The important thing is to be flexible and able to take off on a moments notice for your first few berths, particularly if you are fortunate enough to hook into the racing fleets.
Be honest about your experience level... Skippers will quickly know if you are not truthful.
For your first few trips, you might be rail meat, stuck below passing and receiving sailbags and not getting a chance to grind or tail winches. Persevere, and offer to help with vessel prep as well as other maintenance work. Once you get a reputation as a dependable, hard worker, your opportunities will multiply. Good luck in your search... Cheers, Phil
Old 31-08-2016, 08:41   #5

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

If you have no experience...really...who is going to want to train you?
Can't you even read a book about sailing? Watch some videos? Show some kind of interest other than being treated to a boat ride?

I would not take you aboard.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:03   #6

If you could get on as crew on a mega boat, you might work your way up to Engineer. Maybe peruse the big boats with crew, esp in Florida , at the docks and ask around with the crew who is scrubbing the deck and polishing the chrome. Most of these boats are powerboats 65-150ft. Have a polished resume and good references to your character etc. I used to have a friend that skippered and his wife crewed during the right season.

Old 31-08-2016, 09:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
If you have no experience...really...who is going to want to train you?
Can't you even read a book about sailing? Watch some videos? Show some kind of interest other than being treated to a boat ride?

I would not take you aboard.
wow, grumpy? You assumed all of that about him from that one question? and what boat is that you would not take him aboard on? Your profile indicates you don't have a boat.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
I'm new here, and have no experience. I'm a technician by trade, can fix anything, what's the likely hood of getting on a boat and being paid, or not paid?
Do you want the good news first? If you are a very attractive, young female, and are cheerful and willing, then you can find a berth in almost any port. Unless you are going for the gay set, if you are male, then you are SOL. That is the good news.

Bad news is the biggest demand is for servants on large yachts, rail meat on smaller yachts, and "companionship" on regular sailboats. Nowadays most cruisers are suspicious of newbies for very good reasons.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If you could get on as crew on a mega boat, you might work your way up to Engineer. Maybe peruse the big boats with crew, esp in Florida , at the docks and ask around with the crew who is scrubbing the deck and polishing the chrome. Most of these boats are powerboats 65-150ft. Have a polished resume and good references to your character etc. I used to have a friend that skippered and his wife crewed during the right season.
There are crew finders, professional firms, that staff yachts for the rich set. The days of just showing up and jumping aboard are long gone unless you like taking your chances with drug couriers.
Old 31-08-2016, 09:13   #10

Quote:
I would suggest going to a local marina, inquire with local yacht club, club racer's always need crew/rail meat. I'm not sure what you mean when you say your a technician and can fix anything. I sincerely doubt that and so will anyone else reading it. My old garbage man that slings trash in the back of the trash truck is now a sanitation technician, it does not mean he can fix the Mars Rover. Does your skill set transfer to marine application? Can you further your schooling/training to marine application? Good luck in your efforts, asking questions is the right place to start.
Old 31-08-2016, 10:01   #11

Boat: KP 46

You seem to be getting lots of advice from people, Some who probably have never been crew or hired crew.

I have worked as crew and hired crew for the past 35 years on Megayachts and ships.

So here is some information, not advice:

Smaller cruising boats, 50’ or less rarely pay anything. They are paying a lot for their adventure and can not imagine paying anyone to join their adventure, in fact they will probably want you to pay to work, a few may pay your expenses if you have a lot of experience.

Motoryachts 100’ and below keep a small crew, pay small and work you to death. (most, there are exceptions).

Megayachts 150’ and up pay well, work is good and it is a pretty good life. Engineers are hard to find and pay 0ver 100K for a Chief Engineer, half that for a second, and 25 to 30 k for a deckhand/wiper.
This is usually cash and you have no expenses so you can save a good amount. If you are running charters you get pretty good tips, often matching your wage. Your time is owned by the boat though... on call 24/7/365. I used to give my crew 6 weeks off per year, and would fly them anywhere in the world they wished to go, but the rest of the time they were mine.

If you can fix things, especially electrical and electronic, HVAC and plumbing,you are in demand on Megayachts. And extra if you have been to any engine schools. (Cat, MAN, Detroit etc.)

Lauderdale crew agencies are..ok but tend to push their friends IMHO (there are a few exceptions) International Crew Agencies are the best, like Yachtcrew.ca or 37 south in NZ

Hope this helps..
Michael
Old 31-08-2016, 10:13   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How likely for a paid position as long term or full time crew?

Unlikely without credentials, experience, training, certifications, connections, or other attributes (as others have said, being a pretty young female helps).

There are different levels of crewing. In three rough categories:
1. Professionals for racing and Megayachts
2. Professionals for delivery and commercial ships and boats
3. Amateur for amateur racing and crewing and some deliveries.

What is a Megayacht?
For the sake of this post, consider it any power or sail yacht big enough to have a professional crew serving guests with usually a professional captain, mate, engineer, stewardesses and chef and deckhands. Incidentally, on many of these Megayachts, even the deckhands have paid thousands of dollars to get the required RYA certifications (Yachtmaster) and the STCW credentials mentioned below. Put another way, they have invested possibly $5,000 -$10,000 in training PRIOR to getting a job aboard as a low paid deckhand (the lowest job on the yacht). Be aware, having the certifications does NOT guarantee a paid position.

There are many sites where you can learn much more about is required or expected or helpful in all these categories.

Here are a few links to get you started on your research:

Read the articles here:

Training for a career at sea?

Excerpt:
"On large boats International certification, which is accepted by all countries, is required. The standard for international certification is governed by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and is known as STCW (Standards of Training and Certification of Watchkeepers).

For crew working on vessels above 24 metres, STCW training is normally required along with other experience or RYA certificates. STCW basic training encompasses four elements or courses designed to keep new crew safe onboard. These courses arm you with an understanding in firefighting and use of fire fighting equipment; reacting to emergency situations and evacuation procedures; sea survival and safety at sea; and first aid knowledge.

The STCW basic training consists of 4 elements:
Personal Survival Techniques - 1 day
Fire Fighting & Fire Prevention - 2 days

Elementary First Aid - 1 day

Personal Safety and Social Responsibility - 1 day
Security Awareness - ½ day (this is a new requirement from 2014 for anyone
working on vessels over 500gt)

The STCW course or certifications can cost about $1000 in the USA, but may be much less abroad, as in the Philippines it can be taken for about $100.

If you want to become an "engineer" on a large yacht, you will need many levels of certifications. For the Megayachts crews, some invest many thousands of dollars ($15,000) in training and certifications, some of that before getting any paid job.

More info:

http://oceancrewlink.com

https://www.sailopo.com/Home_Members...ormation.aspx?

https://www.findacrew.net

Yacht Crew Job Placement | Fort Lauderdale | Florida | Crewfinders
Old 31-08-2016, 12:16   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
wow, grumpy? You assumed all of that about him from that one question? and what boat is that you would not take him aboard on? Your profile indicates you don't have a boat.

Old 31-08-2016, 12:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
There are crew finders, professional firms, that staff yachts for the rich set. The days of just showing up and jumping aboard are long gone unless you like taking your chances with drug couriers.
Drug couriers don't usually hire strangers.

If you want to learn about boats and pick up some basic sailing experience it is still possible to show up and get a spot boats in the local club race.
Old 31-08-2016, 12:54   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Quote:

If you are really keen to crew on a yacht, show up in the yard where all the hard work is done(these boats need maintenance you know....) and offer a helping hand. That way the skipper can get to know you while you get to know the boat.
You are placing yourself at the head of the queue, everybody else is pounding the docks,begging for a ride.........

Tags
crew