Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2014, 02:37   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
SE Asia to the Med via Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea

My wife and I are seriously considering sailing from Thailand to the Med via the Red Sea in early 2015. It is not an easy decision, however, we have been in touch with agencies who provide highly-trained, well-equipped security guards that give us confidence that we can make the passage safely.

The security detail would embark in the Maldives and probably stay aboard until we reached the Sudan, about 15 days. The costs, according to one agency, is US$300/man/day plus expenses. The agency with which we've had the most communications wants to place three guards on our boat, two of which would be on watch at all times (they 'hot bunk' it). They do not assist with any other ship-board activities or duties.

We have been told that a flotilla of up to twelve yachts is ideal although each yacht must be able to motor for at least 1,000 miles at 6 knots without refueling. If you are considering making such a passage in your own boat and this idea is of interest to you, please pm me.

I have done an extraordinary amount of research on this but if you insist on replying just to say, "You're crazy" that's okay just not very helpful. We are still considering all our options including sailing around South Africa and shipping the boat to Turkey. This post is primarily addressed to those who need to make a decision about crossing the Indian Ocean.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 03:29   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: SE Asia to the Med via Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea

We have just arrived in Phuket from Cochin. Whilst we were there a 43' cat came in, which had been hit and dismasted by a container ship (no harm to crew, thankfully) after leaving Sri Lanka, bound for the Gulf of Aden.

The British ex military Captain who now works in munitions used his contacts, and was informed that now is possibly the safest time ever to make the passage, since it is so heavily monitored. One call to his mates, and supposedly he'd have military support on him in a jiffy. But he had the right mates.

Our observations on the passage from the Arabian Gulf over the Indian Ocean included small military aircraft who were clearly checking us out, so it would seem that military in that area are quite hot currently.

That said, ALL officials from the Mussandam to Muscat to India considered us either brave or idiots, since they spend pretty much all their time dealing with small time piracy. This is the danger now. The big timers have pretty much backed off. Not so much due to the military presence, but because the big tribe leader who was organising it all took a pay off in the millions and retired, so it's all small timers now.

General local consensus, though... the guy who survived the container collision was hit by providence.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 03:34   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, an afterthought. It might be worth checking out when there are tall ship events going on. Indian and Omani sailing boats move through the Red Sea to these events with full military support, so you might be able to tag on to one. Unofficially and with a bit of backsheesh? The Arabs are more likely to cooperate with something like this, since they are genuinely hospitable, and will do anything for other sea farers. The Indians are bound by bureaucratic rules, and unable to make a decision. Ever.
Old 14-03-2014, 03:36   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh, and about that security detail? Tell me more. the brother of our crew works for such an outfit, and wanted to come along, but wasn't allowed (legally) to take his weapon on any boat less than 40m. Which company is this?
Old 14-03-2014, 06:57   #5

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Oh, and about that security detail? Tell me more. the brother of our crew works for such an outfit, and wanted to come along, but wasn't allowed (legally) to take his weapon on any boat less than 40m. Which company is this?

Thank you for the input. Please look us up if you're in Phuket. One of the agencies we've been in communication with can be found at

VSOS -

They have struck me as being very professional. Who knows what we'll ultimately do?

Old 24-08-2014, 04:12   #6

Our boat is actually in phuket and preparing for the voyage to Europe. We have not yet decided which road to take but whatever direction we are going it would be nice to do this in convoy.
So people who would like to join don't hesitate to contact us.
we would like to leave at the beginning of 2015.
Lepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 04:32   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lepapillon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:21   #8

Hi

I'm in Phuket also and may consider a cruise to the Red Sea 2015. I can be contacted at lacerne@hotmail.com.

Best
Chalida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 21:31   #9

Boat: kelsall45' cat
Send a message via Skype™ to janekp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepapillon View Post
Our boat is actually in phuket and preparing for the voyage to Europe. We have not yet decided which road to take but whatever direction we are going it would be nice to do this in convoy.
So people who would like to join don't hesitate to contact us.
we would like to leave at the beginning of 2015.
Hi,
We are in Phuket -Chalog Bay,now and thinking about sailing by Red Sea to Europe in beginning of February 2015.
Are you still in Phuket?
We are on Double Helix 45' catamaran.
regards,
Ewa & Jan
janekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 20:05   #10

Boat: Catana 50

You might want to reach out to Bulawayo, here on CF. They have transited 6 or 7 times, and are presently in the Indian Ocean.

Call us crazy, but we are considering going the other direction next winter or the one after that, primarily because of them!
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 18:08   #11

Boat: Contest 48'

Hi , I am Jack curently my 10th winter on RED SEA .Now in Suakin .
Only in 2 years one SY coming grom the South ..with the help of "Mercenaire " .
If you need info .
captainjackcroisiere@gmail.com
jacques Royer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 18:59   #12

Hi,

So what did you decide in the end?

I am leaving NZ May next year and was planning on either crossing the Indian Ocean to the Med or go round the bottom.

Any other news on how the Gulf of Aden is looking would be great.

Regards Anthony
Burge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 05:49   #13

Boat: kelsall45' cat
Send a message via Skype™ to janekp

Hi,
We cross Gulf of Aden and now in Hurghada , Egypt .Not very good sailing .Lot of sand, dust on the boat . No rain ,no fresh water to clean boat.
Wind put us on the reef.....
No pirates too. Lot of tacking and motoring in strong wind .
I think, that going to South Africa will be better option.
Jan
janekp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:42   #14

How did it go? We are trying to find out how it is in that area at the moment. Any tips you can give us?
Sailress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 18:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailress View Post
How did it go? We are trying to find out how it is in that area at the moment. Any tips you can give us?
I'm not sure who you're asking but, as the Original Poster, I should probably answer.

We chose to sail from Thailand to Sri Lanka, then on to the Maldives, Chagos, Madagascar and South Africa. This year we sailed to Namibia, St. Helena, Ascension and Fernando de Noronha before making our passage to Tobago, where we are now, having arrived last week.

The thing about our route that is scary now is that we almost missed some fantastic cruising had we gone the way of the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea. The Maldives and Chagos were unbelievable and we had a great time in South Africa. Namibia was a terrific surprise and the sailing across the Southern Atlantic was some of the best ever. We have friends who did do the GoA/RS route with hired security on board and they did fine - except the had to motor the whole way from the Maldives to the Suez Canal. Once they got to Greece, they split up as a couple.

I'm not saying that the route we took was without challenges but the time we spent being uncomfortable was minimal. We met incredible people and saw amazing sites - I recommend the southern route highly.

Tags
Asia