Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2015, 22:31   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
cruising yemen

looks like soon yemen will be back on the cruising map for those that want to transit the red sea in 2015!

Saudi and her allies have decided to create a bit of rubble for building new marinas.............

US aids Saudi air strikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen | World news | The Guardian
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:11   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: cruising yemen

looks like that case of beer is safely in the bag from "beneteau 500",in regards to jimmy cornells rally transiting the red sea this year.................
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:22   #3
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: cruising yemen

As a kid I was in Aden with family (military).
As an Adult, I was there with military (me) and with a medical team.
We went in and out of Yemen. Kind of a weird place. Hot. VERY hot.

I wish we could all just get along

But it will always be hot.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:28   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
As a kid I was in Aden with family (military).
As an Adult, I was there with military (me) and with a medical team.
We went in and out of Yemen. Kind of a weird place. Hot. VERY hot.

I wish we could all just get along

But it will always be hot.


looks like aden will soon be rubble,and still hot,saudi's blew up the airport last night,and I belive are starting on the port today

shame really, I've been there 5 times and allways enjoyed the place even if it is a bit chaotic!
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:31   #5
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
looks like aden will soon be rubble,and still hot,saudi's blew up the airport last night,and I belive are starting on the port today

shame really, I've been there 5 times and allways enjoyed the place even if it is a bit chaotic!
Im laughing because Saudi is the last country to be getting involved, after the USA and Europe of course

I have a lot of photos somewhere from my parents of life in Aden as a kid..... and some when I was doing medical work there. Made me want to go find them as it will never look the same again...... sigh.

And still hot.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 14:24   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Im laughing because Saudi is the last country to be getting involved, after the USA and Europe of course

I have a lot of photos somewhere from my parents of life in Aden as a kid..... and some when I was doing medical work there. Made me want to go find them as it will never look the same again...... sigh.

And still hot.

pitty really as they just finished rebuilding the port after the N-South war in 94
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 20:53   #7
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: cruising yemen

It's not that bad once you adopt the local dress: gutrah-variant, tshirt, and waist-cloth. It was great on the shrimp farm. The Yemenis are probably the only sensibly dressed people in the Middle East.
Never quite understood why the Omanis and Saudis want to wear full length clothes-must be something to do with the whole religion thing.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 03:14   #8
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
It's not that bad once you adopt the local dress: gutrah-variant, tshirt, and waist-cloth. It was great on the shrimp farm. The Yemenis are probably the only sensibly dressed people in the Middle East.
Never quite understood why the Omanis and Saudis want to wear full length clothes-must be something to do with the whole religion thing.
Not allowed for us. Military shirt, tie and trousers. Designed by H.M government.

Saudi's..... designed by Armani and Gucci in the long style.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 05:40   #9
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: cruising yemen

And of course I'm sure it was made of wool!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 06:19   #10
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,145
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
And of course I'm sure it was made of wool!


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Nylon.

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 06:59   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 175
Re: cruising yemen

Aden has always been a strategic point.

Roman emporer Augustus sent legions down the Arabian coast of the Red sea in 26/25 BC to root out pirates and secure ports for the roman trading fleet sailing to India. Aden was taken by siege. As it has been many times, since and before, by many peoples.

This part of the world seems beset by violence.

Lee
__________________
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 07:09   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Aden has always been a strategic point.

Roman emporer Augustus sent legions down the Arabian coast of the Red sea in 26/25 BC to root out pirates and secure ports for the roman trading fleet sailing to India. Aden was taken by siege. As it has been many times, since and before, by many peoples.

This part of the world seems beset by violence.

Lee
hopefully the Saudis will see the benefits of turning it into a new superyacht cruising destination,and the Somali Riviera, Berbera on the African side is a great historic port,can't wait to visit once the area has been ethnically cleansed
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 16:50   #13
Registered User
 
brownoarsman's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Round Bay, Severn River
Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,320
Re: cruising yemen

The Saudis did make the farasan islands a marine preserve when they annexed them from Yemen. As for the rest of the Yemen annexation, they built a big fence around it! Wanted
to keep out the qat.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 17:03   #14
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
The Saudis did make the farasan islands a marine preserve when they annexed them from Yemen. As for the rest of the Yemen annexation, they built a big fence around it! Wanted
to keep out the qat.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
as long as they don't go letting of nukes in the area,and permernantly close off the straits.....................

mind you closing off the straits would increase the oil price and benefit the Saudis , Egyptians and other oil producers close to Europe..................
watch this space............
__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 17:04   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
atoll's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: gettin naughty on the beach in cornwall
Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Posts: 9,312
Images: 75
Re: cruising yemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
The Saudis did make the farasan islands a marine preserve when they annexed them from Yemen. As for the rest of the Yemen annexation, they built a big fence around it! Wanted
to keep out the qat.


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
as long as they don't go letting off nukes in the area,and permernantly close off the straits.....................

mind you closing off the straits would increase the oil price and benefit the Saudis , Egyptians and other oil producers close to Europe..................
watch this space............
__________________

__________________
my catamaran building project updates http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...36#post2502136
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, men

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Government Advises Britons to Leave Yemen SabreKai Indian Ocean & Red Sea 3 01-06-2011 06:49
Suez, Red Sea and Yemen boatman61 Indian Ocean & Red Sea 16 28-02-2011 19:10
Which Is More Forgiving - Cruising Monohull or Cruising Multihull maxingout General Sailing Forum 36 10-02-2010 06:41
Cruising Cat vs. Cruising Mono Performance ssullivan Multihull Sailboats 100 03-01-2010 14:05
cruising log of cruising up the ICW daniel Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 12-03-2008 09:01



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.