Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 18:15   #121

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_moondust View Post
However the MSQ (Maritime Safety Queensland) have just bought in laws that if your boat/yacht (or ship) is greater than 15 m in length you must have a seperate insurance thats specifically covers clean up in the case of a spill, or you are not allowed to enter Queensland waters at all. .
Certainly put a stop to the 2 foot extension I had planned for mine, so as to get an even larger bottom step
Old 11-03-2009, 19:32   #122

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Certainly put a stop to the 2 foot extension I had planned for mine, so as to get an even larger bottom step

Now that would annoy you wouldn't it! Bollocks to that!
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:06   #123

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht_moondust View Post

the MSQ (Maritime Safety Queensland) have just bought in laws that if your boat/yacht (or ship) is greater than 15 m in length you must have a seperate insurance thats specifically covers clean up in the case of a spill, or you are not allowed to enter Queensland waters at all. Obviously this ship has insurance and all the costs will be covered but it is a very sad state of affairs and the cost to our marine life is immeasurable.
How will that effect visiting yachts???????

I remember the 2nd time that we went to Aus (1987, I think), we had to put this big ugly numbered sticker on the side of our boat. When I say big (2 metre x 1 metre) and ugly..... that self sticking gluey paper. It had to be visible from an airplane.

Cruising yachts were avoiding Aus like the plague. Aus finally backed off. In fact, when we left, they sent 2 guys down to get that damn sticky piece of crap off of the side of our boat. It took them about 2 hours to get it all off. Then it screwed up my LP paint.

If Aus is going to force visiting yachts to buy this insurance, it had better be reasonable. If it isn't, I'll bet that a lot of boats will give Aus a miss.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the concept. I'm just saying that it may hurt the boating and tourist industry in Aus.

This type of legislation just reinforces my belief that, sooner or later, there will be a real heavy "Rescue Tax" when a recreational vessel registers their EPIRB..........count on it....it's gonna happen and we have brought it on ourselves.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:26   #124

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
How will that effect visiting yachts???????

If Aus is going to force visiting yachts to buy this insurance, it had better be reasonable. If it isn't, I'll bet that a lot of boats will give Aus a miss.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the concept. I'm just saying that it may hurt the boating and tourist industry in Aus.

Yes this is going to be a problem. I have to admit here that I have only read the synopsis of the requirements but from my understanding ALL boats/yachts/ships over 15m in length are required to have this seperate insurance that covers the cost of clean up if anything goes wrong. The problem for overseas yachts arriving is that if they don't know about it there may be financial burdens (fines) and no-one is allowed to enter Queensland waters without this insurance. Anecdotally overseas yachts are having problems getting an insurance company to cover to the amount required and worse local yachts who cannot get insurance because of their type of yacht (ferro yachts have major problems getting insurance) are now unable to travel Qld waters unless they get an exemption. The exemption has to be applied for but is up to the discretion of the Maritime Qld group who will take approx 14 weeks to make a decision. Try this link to read for yourself on how to meet the requirements. Ship insurance

Maybe we should open this topic in another link? Many Aussies here with problems about the stifling requirements of our waters and questions from overseas yachties.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 14:28   #125

Boat: Norseman 447
Its a stupid ill thought out piece of legislation, typical of Queensland Transport and it only applies in Queensland, no where in the legislation does it say what length measurement they will use, our LOA is over 15m but our registered length is under so I haven't bothered
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:23   #126

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Earth to Mark........Earth to Mark.....Over........

You OK Mark....

HMMMMMMMMMM!!!, I'll bet he has no reception in the bay that he is in.......I'll bet he's frustrated......
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 17:19   #127
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I also ended up with a gashed knee (6 stitches) and sprained wrist ..
Ouch! Hope you are OK! The scar will just be a Hollywood type sexy one that will have the girls gushing

Quote:
If Aus is going to force visiting yachts to buy this insurance, ....., I'll bet that a lot of boats will give Aus a miss.
You need to show the insurance papers to go into many marinas in Queensland and New South Wales. Its totally stupid as they want comprehensive not just thrid party insurance.

Quote:
HMMMMMMMMMM!!!, I'll bet he has no reception in the bay that he is in.......I'll bet he's frustrated......
Totallly. So we moved

That cyclone is a low near here and I am waiting for it to fully go. Strong wind warning too of 3okts and I dont trust ex-cyclones and strong wind warnings combined!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 08:42   #128

It will be interresting to see what will happend to someone without insurance, seeking refuge in one of this marinas during a cyclone. As for insurances and given the present economical climate they may disappear when peoples run out of money.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 03:31   #129

Looks like another low later in the week could cause you a few more problems, will see how it developes over next few days, Good Luck
Old 17-03-2009, 15:17   #130
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
Looks like another low later in the week could cause you a few more problems, will see how it developes over next few days, Good Luck
Yeah. We have a guest on board next week

Old 17-03-2009, 23:15   #131

latest 4 day chart is showing it developing to a cyclone late Fri, but at this stage looks to be a bit east than "Hamish" so might not give you too many major problems, Here's hoping
Old 17-03-2009, 23:47   #132
Long Range Cruiser

Hmmm yes, the must have just updated that.

The text says what you say about it staying further to the east. I hope so!

Its blowing here today! 35+ up the channel to Hamilton today when we went in for water. Now in Cid harbour... for 3 days till the weather drops....

crappy weather here. Oh well . It could be (much) worse.