Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 13:54   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Where is the Australian Whangarei? (For the cyclone season)

I haven't sailed that coast so don't know about marinas or safe anchorages,but wouldn't there be something around kiama, ulladulla, bermagui, batemans bay, moruya , narooma, definitely the entrance. I'd much rather hang our in one of those smaller coastal towns with a small school than Sydney or other suburban joint. Weather below Sydney is pretty much ideal on the nsw coast, gets a bit cooler once you get into Vic and tassie is too cold for most months
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:19   #17

Mate

Australia has an attitude to 'boat people' arriving without a visa. They have had a major problem with said arrivals from Asia, and even chartered planes landing without visa's over the past 20 years who promptly get incarcerated until their case gets heard in court. They can and will deny entry on the spot.

I have no expertise on well funded international yacht cruising people/families, roaming around the world but one will have to clear immigration and customs. I was once on a 80 ft yacht anchored in the Port Stephens river waiting for crew and within 24 hours we were boarded by the NSW water Police. We were from Sydney so no problem.

I suggest contact Australian Immigration and/or customs and an Australian consulate before even thinking of landing on Australian soil.

Paul
wugwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 14:29   #18

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugwa View Post
No 'little men in grey suits' in lake Macq and its too far south for roco's. The bar is too shallow to let sharks in as well as deep drafted sailboats Etc.

Paul
Great whites do come into Lake Macquarie... Great white shark spotted in Lake | Newcastle Herald
Bull sharks too........
Old 28-04-2015, 15:03   #19

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

It is a no brainer....Tasmania. Hobart area. Safe as can be and the best (summer) cruising grounds in Australia.
Some good cruising in winter too but does get cool.
Come to think of it we leave in two weeks time to spend four months on our Bavaria 42 in the Ionian sea.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 15:16   #20

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Where is Whangarei?
In my opinion letting your insurance dictate your destination is crazy and totally unnecessary.
Weather wise you are pretty much out of the official cyclone area south of Bundaberg but some of our storms can be nearly as severe and more frequent.
Find the place you like and then change your insurance as most that I know of do not have such restrictive clauses as your current.
As someone else mentioned you can not officially check into Aus anywhere you like so the official spots might also influence your decision.Check the Websites.
Cost of living regardless of city or coastal towns is much the same here if you are not entering into the house market the only major cost variance will be Marina or mooring costs and keep in mind you will have trouble getting boat insurance on a mooring.Australia is not famous for its public transport anywhere.
Plenty of OS boats around with kids going to school so I guess that is not an issue depending if you choose the public"free" or private user pay.Couple of families here at Newport Marina a little North of Brisbane City doing just that right now.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 16:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugwa View Post
Would Norfolk Island or Deal Island in the Bass Straight suffice. The lighthouse keeper would most probably enjoy the company as its remote but good anchoring in the summer only.
Norfolk Is, whilst Beautiful is not an option for long stays, there is no real safe harbour or the like.
Norfolk Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 16:31   #22

I think Port Macquarie would cover your requirements and is a pretty part of the coast with a good climate and beautiful beaches. Small marina, shopping centre opposite, moorings at approx $1000.oo/3 months with use of marina facilities and free anchoring if moderate draft. All schools close by either walk or bus ride. About 50,000 population and safe place to leave your boat. 4 hours drive to Sydney. Skinny dipping ok too but only at clothing optional beach!.
xm201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 16:38   #23

Boat: 1983 COMPASS 29'
Send a message via Skype™ to xsteel

I have just weathered last weeks ECL in Blackwattle Bay Sydney adjacent the Sydney Fish Markets on anchor. Best place so far on my travels from Melb to Whitsundays. Great for West to South to East winds. On a lee shore for North but still fairly sheltered from North. Flat calm 24/7. 4 to 5m water. Plenty of other spots within 2hr. Could get some growth on the under sides. Floating jetty adjacent to the anchorages. Don't know about schools. Having lived in Whangarei, I believe this place rivals it.
xsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 18:28   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

We spent three years (the boat) in Australia while we toured around. The boat spent a great deal of the time in the Brisbane area, three months on the moorings/pilings near The Gardens, fore and aft ties are very secure.
The remainder of the time we spent in the canal community just south of the Brisbane River entrance called Raby Bay. We canvased the area and found the homes that didn't have boats at their docks. Some of these are very skookum built and we paid $200 - $250/month for the space and got power & water as well. We lived aboard for a good part of the time and got to know the people and neighbours. We used their address for mail and it beat the marina charges.
The pool and washing machine became available to us and we looked after the place when they left. It was a win - win situation.
We never ever thought of it as a hurricane hole but with all the twists and turns in the canal there was never any fetch to build up seas. High hot winds sometimes but not often. It was a very good time for us. Our crew stayed behind and house sat a big home for the neighbours and became great friends. She could tend the boat without any problem while we visited back in Canada. This all took place in 2004 - 2007.
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 18:46   #25

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Newcastle or Lake Maquarie offer two options.
Newcastle Cruising Yacht Club marina is close to schools and shops with transport close by. Alternatively anchor in the Hunter River and dinghy ashore if costs are a worry.
Lake Macquarie offers a number of choices.
Belmont Bay is close to shops and schools, anchor or get a short term berth at Lake Macquarie Yacht Club.
Toronto on the western shore has shops etc nearby, anchor or berth a Royal Motor Yacht Club if available.
Wangi Wangi on the western shore has shops etc, anchor or tie up at Wangi Workers Club jetty short term.
There are many anchorages around the lake, some busy and many quiet.
If you decide upon Lake Maquarie and have draft of 2m plus make sure it is high tide as Swansea channel can be a problem at times for deeper keeled yachts.
Fair winds
Michael
Old 29-04-2015, 19:00   #26

To the OP
Do your homework on school costs - it could be a deal breaker for you. Government schools can charge as much as private schools if you are a non-resident of Australia. There may be a particular type of Visa that helps solve this......
Old 30-04-2015, 17:36   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
To the OP
Do your homework on school costs - it could be a deal breaker for you. Government schools can charge as much as private schools if you are a non-resident of Australia. There may be a particular type of Visa that helps solve this......
You are right. I'm reading your post shortly after finding out. I guess that's where I should have started: In NSW, Primary school = $250, Junior High = $300, High = $337.50 ... PER WEEK. If on a 12-month visa (that costs about $340 pp) the price is $5000 per year for primary school, and (off the top of my head) $7500 for high school. With 3 kids I'm not sure we can afford that.
In French Polynesia schooling is good quality (especially from the age of 10 to 18, junior high and high) and FREE whatever your nationality and visa status. Aussie friends in Nuku Hiva could sign up their kids in the local junior high school for 2 1/2 months, so that they could learn French.
The French Polynesian Whangareis are Taiohae (Nuku Hiva, Marquises), Moorea, Huahine and Raiatea (even if the Leeward Islands are not cyclone-free)
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 17:58   #28

Boat: Able 50

Perhaps Australia will be better off with one less freebie hunter.

Do enjoy the grocery prices in FP.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:36   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Perhaps Australia will be better off with one less freebie hunter.

Do enjoy the grocery prices in FP.
Why this aggressive tone?
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 18:56   #30

Boat: Able 50

Why should the taxpayers of Australia subsidise your children's education ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Cyclone season, good facilities, school, Whangarei