Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 19:22   #31

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Where is the Australian Whangarei? (For the cyclone season)

Go easy. NZ is almost another state of this fine country.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 20:54   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Perhaps Australia will be better off with one less freebie hunter.

Do enjoy the grocery prices in FP.
Perhaps this thread will be better off with one less sword-crossing hunter. I hope that your 2335 other posts, unlike this one, are of interest and written in the spirit of Cruisers Forum.
As for the price of food in French Polynesia, it is indeed expensive but high quality, and (I hear) not as expensive as a few years ago. I am just about to go shopping, I will update you shortly.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:20   #33

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I read the thread with interest as I was pretty sure you'd get a nasty surprise at the schooling costs if you were not oz citizens. Seems this is the case.

Not sure of your budget but it might be worth double checking the costs of some of the private schools, particularly those with mainstream religious affiliations as they are often very economical and some offer excellent education standards.

Best of luck solving this tricky dilemma but do try to get to Tasmania if the opportunity presents itself. Not sure I'd want to spent winter there though.

Here in South Australia the cost of living is mostly lower than elsewhere in Oz but the choices for long term mooring are limited.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-05-2015, 05:35   #34

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Perhaps this thread will be better off with one less sword-crossing hunter. I hope that your 2335 other posts, unlike this one, are of interest and written in the spirit of Cruisers Forum.
As for the price of food in French Polynesia, it is indeed expensive but high quality, and (I hear) not as expensive as a few years ago. I am just about to go shopping, I will update you shortly.
The essential question remains unanswered. Why should the taxpayers of Australia, or any other foreign (to you) country subsidize your children's education?

Feel free to continue using insults as a diversion. I don't mind.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 13:30   #35

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
The essential question remains unanswered. Why should the taxpayers of Australia, or any other foreign (to you) country subsidize your children's education?

Yes a tricky question, and why do they subsidise your use of their roads, police force, customs and govt administration etc etc ?

Some schools like foreigners in the class because it broadens the education of the locals.
Hey Wellington........ You travelled all the way across the Pacific so they could get free use of your child ??? What sort of parenting is this? Perhaps a modest fee for sending your kid to their school would help defray your costs.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 13:54   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I think there is a lot of mis-information re education in this thread. Having just consulted my 'in house' expert..... if you are here on a visa and want to put your pup into school you just lob up and enrol them... usual fees that locals also have to pay apply Enrolling in Primary School
There is an 'International Student Scheme' designed for wealthy chinese etc who want to send their kids out for a year. Study in Melbourne, Australia | Victorian Government Schools

Subsidised...? Well many of the locals on v low incomes who have never payed a dollar tax in their lives get their kids education subsidised as well.... thats what state education is all about in Oz.

All care no responsibility here... do your own research to confirm

Ping
Old 01-05-2015, 14:31   #37

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Savoir, I am pleased that you are so very concerned for the Aussie taxpayer but one may wonder at your concern, being as you are based up on the NE seaboard of the US.
As for myself, a former High School teacher, I welcomed overseas students into my classroom as they add to the cultural mix enriching the learning experience for all.
It did not seem to me that Wellington merely wanted to be a freeloader but rather was looking for good value.
Maybe it is time to lighten up.
Michael
Old 01-05-2015, 15:34   #38

Just south of Port Macquarie is Camden Haven. A good sheltered anchorage with easy shore access and it's a small town, schools and shops not far away.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:03   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia

Quote:
(...)
During Friday's shopping at "Champion" supermarket in Raiatea, I wrote down a few prices, in Francs Polynesiens (1 EURO = 119,33 XPF, fixed parity). I can convert them in AUD, NZD or USD in another post if some of you are interested.

- 200 g Nescafé instant coffee: 512 XPF
- 20 Carrefour Darjeeling tea bags, 202 F
- 20 Carrefour Russian Earl Grey tea bags, 184 F
- French Brie cheese: 1095 XPF / kg
- 4 local yogurts (500g): 260 F
- French Emmental cheese: 950 XPF / kg
- New Zealand Braeburn apples: 230 XPF / kg (excellent and on sale, normally around 350 / kg)
- local pineapple : 260 F / kg
- local grapefruit: 100 F / kg
- Australian oranges: 360 F / kg
- local sweet potatoes: 210F / kg
- New Zealand carrots, 225 F / kg
- potatoes, 110 F / kg
- Onions, 145 F / kg
- Local green cabbage, 374 F / kg
- imported red cabbage, 430 F / kg
- local lettuce, bag of about 4 pieces (800g?), 337 F
- "Barilla" spaghetti, 1 kg, 245 F
- Carrefour Bolognaise pasta sauce, 800g glass jar: 365 F
- French "Elle et Vire" butter, 250 g, 237 F
- crème fraiche President", 1 litre, 645 F
- US organic tofu, 454 g, 278 F
- Australian canned salted butter, 454g, 489 F
- Australian processed cheddar cheese, "Beqa", 250 g, 176 F
- New Zealand rumsteak (never frozen), 1390 F / kg
- Frozen rib steak from Uruguay, 1195 F / kg
- American (= huge, hormone laden) frozen chicken legs, 5 lbs / 2.2 kg: 780 F
- Argentinian frozen chicken, whole ("normal looking" = probably less hormones and antibiotics allowed than in the US): 240 F / kg
- local pork chops: 1450 F / kg
- yellow fin tuna, filet, 1695 F / kg (between 1000-2000F depending on the season/ catch; if bought directly from the fishermen, about 500F / kg)
- 12 large eggs: 420 F
- 1 kg Sunrise Australian long grain rice: 100 F
- 1 kg Thai jasmine rice: 195 F
- 1 kg French flour: 90 F
- 1 kg NZ brown sugar: 175 F
- baguette (not quite as good as in Paris, but still better than in Wellington): 53 F
- cheapest Bordeaux: 995 F (on sale, normally around 1100 F)

Prices were about 5-10% cheaper in Carrefour in Papeete, and about 10% more expensive in Nuku Hiva (Marquises). But in the Marquises, you will not buy many fruit, as people will give them to you (not even expecting anything in return): bananas, papayas, mangoes, lemons, lime and the huge, delicious grapefruit / pomella, that keep forever.

Over half the items in the list above are subsidized (PPN = produits de premiere necessite). Yes, the French taxpayer would not only subsidize the education of your kids, "SAVOIR", but also most of your food. But not your beer, damn! Hinano costs about 275 F / bottle of 50 cl, Heineken about 200 F / can of 33 cl.

Also:
- cooking gas, 13 kgs: 2980 F (subsidized, price the same all over FP)
- Gasoline : 174 F / litre
- Gas-oil (tax free for yachts in transit): 94 F / litre (was 101 F / litre in December) ; with taxes, gas-oil = +/- 139 F / litre
- Free schooling
- boats can stay in FP tax-free for 36 months
- EU citizen can stay as long as they want, Americans, Kiwis and Australians get a free, 3-month visa upon arrival or can come on a one-year visa

I would be curious to know how these prices compare with, say, Pittwater or Belmont / Lake Macquarie.
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 19:55   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
During Friday's shopping at "Champion" supermarket in Raiatea, I wrote down a few prices, in Francs Polynesiens (1 EURO = 119,33 XPF, fixed parity). I can convert them in AUD, NZD or USD in another post if some of you are interested.

I would be curious to know how these prices compare with, say, Pittwater or Belmont / Lake Macquarie.
Here you go https://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au.../Shop/Products
I must say I didn't find FP expensive...

Re education.... I asked a few more teachers at the weekend... they agreed... just front up at a country school and enroll your pups.

At the local high school they have these chinese students paying mega bux... different deal entirely... they expect premium service...then there is accomodation to be sorted etc etc.

You would just have to stand in line with the transient labour, fruit pickers and such.
If they throw you out you are just back to home schooling.. no biggy.
Old 03-05-2015, 20:08   #41
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Sounds reasonable, especially taking into account the free schooling. But isn't it in a cyclone area? What options do you have that are ok with your insurance company? Haul out and then rent a villa or live on the hard stand? I had no idea school fees were so expensive for visitors. I guess you can head back down to NZ as well. BTW, one of the reasons Australia brought in the GST was so the tourists could help out by way of paying 10% on all goods and services they use in Aus. So in effect cruisers and tourists are paying 10% tax on anything they spend, along with the rest of the Aussies. Same goes for VAT in Europe, although it's usually closer to 20% there. Homeschooling is probably the best option for someone on the move though. I can't really understand how you can base your sailing plans on a month or three here and there with three kids to educate, unless the formal schooling is just a supplement to the actual schooling on board, or do you stay for the full school year in one location and then use the two months between to relocate?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 00:02   #42

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Hi Wellington,
Your prices for those items look fairly comparable to supermarket prices in Australia. You will be out of luck on the baguettes but the wine will be cheaper if you are into the Aussie drop as opposed to the French and also provided you only want the regular quaffing stuff.
Anchoring in Belmont Bay, Lake Macquarie is very close to the shopping centre of Belmont and there is a new chandlery opening up (since the demise of Bias Boating in September 2014).
Belmont High School plus a couple of different Primary Schools are also relatively (ie walking distance) close.
Pittwater has nowhere really close to supermarkets so this would need a bus to get to a shopping centre.
I see that you are sailing a cat so the Swansea Channel will present you with no problems.
Good luck on your search for a safe haven.
Michael
Old 04-05-2015, 03:09   #43
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:

Why the attitude? Easy tiger, it's not as if they'd be a massive burden and I, for one, would be happy to see my taxes cover the intrepid traveller. There would also be a flow on increase in consumption tax and so on, supporting local businesses ... people like you are EXACTLY the reason I've been so disappointed to see how selfish some people in Australia have become in the ten years I was away .. we used to be chilled and easy going...
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:29   #44

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Why the attitude? Easy tiger, it's not as if they'd be a massive burden and I, for one, would be happy to see my taxes cover the intrepid traveller. There would also be a flow on increase in consumption tax and so on, supporting local businesses ... people like you are EXACTLY the reason I've been so disappointed to see how selfish some people in Australia have become in the ten years I was away .. we used to be chilled and easy going...
In the 10'years you have been away Australia has changed ...for better or worse. Along with that change attitudes of Australians as well most of the rest of the world have also changed.I also have been out of the country on and off for about a decade and certainly see the difference since coming back a couple of years ago.
One of the main reasons for the change is a 25% increase in population in the last 15 years and not necessarily from within.As an Aussie you are now sharing the same place of 10 or fifteen years ago but with far more people of a diverse range of age and financial demographics .
Fortunately in this country at least we are still allowed to have and voice an opinion but for how long remains to be seen in view of the power of minorities and politically correctness becoming rife in Aus.
Personally I would welcome the OP and others to this country however I have no idea of their financial situation but I would expect they can pay their own way while here.
I do however believe this country is not progressing infrastructure at an acceptable level for the population growth and is financially struggling to hold its own for its own .As the so called aggressive commenter said Im also not fond of others taking more than they give regardless of the cultural bonuses if any.
Selfish you might say mmmm maybe .Possessive ,protective and dreaming of the way it was certainly
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:42   #45
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
In the 10'years you have been away Australia has changed ...for better or worse. Along with that change attitudes of Australians as well most of the rest of the world have also changed.I also have been out of the country on and off for about a decade and certainly see the difference since coming back a couple of years ago.
One of the main reasons for the change is a 25% increase in population in the last 15 years and not necessarily from within.As an Aussie you are now sharing the same place of 10 or fifteen years ago but with far more people of a diverse range of age and financial demographics .
Fortunately in this country at least we are still allowed to have and voice an opinion but for how long remains to be seen in view of the power of minorities and politically correctness becoming rife in Aus.
Personally I would welcome the OP and others to this country however I have no idea of their financial situation but I would expect they can pay their own way while here.
I do however believe this country is not progressing infrastructure at an acceptable level for the population growth and is financially struggling to hold its own for its own .As the so called aggressive commenter said Im also not fond of others taking more than they give regardless of the cultural bonuses if any.
Selfish you might say mmmm maybe .Possessive ,protective and dreaming of the way it was certainly
It certainly has changed and I can see some of the reasons but we used to care more about helping each other out. It's now more about what you can get and everyone for themselves. Far too much. And sure, people are allowed to have and voice opinions ... regarding visitors paying school fees, for example and I'm within my rights to voice my opinion on that and I'd hope that in the cold light of day we could see what is right and not.

One of the things I've noticed since coming home is how quick people are to jump on something if they perceive someone else to be getting an easier ride than them. This happens without consideration for other direct and indirect benefits such as GST paid, local business supported for example, and is only done within the reference of what the individual perceives to be missing out on.

Personally I think it's just a bit sad.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Cyclone season, good facilities, school, Whangarei