Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 21:43   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Alright- I hear ya John. I promise not to go bother the Mexican Military. A Mexican jail is not my idea of a good time. (don't ask me how I know that) It is too bad Clipperton is not a fun place. I will just keep on looking on my charts and consulting my Cornell library till I find something.
BTW- thank you for the invite Clausont...you are very kind to this old sailor. When I pull in to Coos bay I will have your data in my log.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 23:32   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Newt,
Now were just the opposit from many as we love to harbor hop.. but we see our 42 footer as a means of transportation first and a sailing vessel second.. its the vessel that lets us explore and the coat of Oregon and California are great places to do just that..
The ports of Oregon will give you the fishing centers and Charleston on the enterence of Coos Bay is one not to pass up.. Its also the only "All Weather" port on the coat ... Cresent City on the north end of California's coat will give you the Red Woods and a side trip to the groves north of the city will be worth the stop.. Eureka's old town with it shops and places to grab a bite to eat are well worth the stop.. Down In Fort Bragg you pass under the HWY 101 bridge to the marina and the fish shops that line the harbor.. and a short walk up the hill and south of town you'll see the Botanical Gardens of the coastal area, and a real treat. Bodega Bay is another great place to stop and just across from the marina is a little crab shack serving crab sandwiches or fresh clam chowder..
We've always loved to stop and sightsee on our travels and the small ports of the Oregon and the California Coast have added a lot of great memories..
Comming down we've always stayed about 20 to 30 miles offshore.. enough room to stay out of the crab pots but close enough to come in when we wanted.. Rounding the points as cape Mendicino or conception is best early in the morning.. Done them both a few times and have never had anything more than a mild breeze and flat water...
Sadly, I haven't made all the stops going north from the bay that you mention but I've been here in the bay area since the 70's and every spot you mention is agreeable in dozens of ways. Thanks for the reminder to me and the invitation to all the cruisers coming down (or going up) the coast. It is nothing short of breathtaking even if all you see of it occurs while tucking into a harbor.
OaklandSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, Washington