Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 09:58   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Schooner Nina and David Dyche disappearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taswildlife View Post
Hi
I am a subscriber to this site and also a cruising yachtsman from Tasmania. I have crossed Bass Strait twice which is the notorious stretch of water between Tasmania and Mainland Australia where most of the Tasmanian coastal islands are situated. I cannot say I have visited them as it requires an intrepid soul and intestinal fortitude to spend much time in those parts as the weather can turn violent very suddenly it being a 120 mile shallow strait in the path of the roaring 40s and known for treacherous currents. Local knowledge and very good information is of utmost importance to navigate such an area. which brings up the point of local fishermen. The subscriber who commented on the rugged West coast of Tasmania was correct in part as one side of one of the larger inhabited islands King Island could be called the west coast. Never the less the whole of Bass Strait is exposed to the same weather that beats relentlessly on the West Coast. Captain Cook rated it as among the worst seas he experienced.
The islands there are very rugged, beautiful inhospitable and wind blasted. Living there would be almost impossible without a source of food and material supplies. it would be practically impossible to grow any vegetables or staples and a person living there would have to survive on the sea food seals and mutton birds. Even the Aboriginals would only visit them for seasonal food. Therefore a person would need a stout boat (and somewhere to haul it from storms) of their own to survive there or be know to fishermen who would supply them. It would not be possible to live there without fire as exposure would quickly claim life and there is almost zero substantial timber on the "uninhabited" islands. Lighting a fire creates smoke and the fishermen would know about that. Hence unless someone lives there and their secret is being kept by others that are supplying them with food and necessary materials surely by now someone would have to tell. I'd have to say I rate the odds as incredibly unlikely.
Oz looks like a fascinating place. Bass Strait not so much. Thanks for the nice input.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:17   #32

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Oz looks like a fascinating place. Bass Strait not so much. Thanks for the nice input.
You got that so wrong, some fantastic cruising in Bass Strait, look up Deal Island, Flinders island and Wilson's prom.

But I guess the more people we can keep away the better, already its getting far too crowded down here...
:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-10-2015, 14:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
You got that so wrong, some fantastic cruising in Bass Strait, look up Deal Island, Flinders island and Wilson's prom.

But I guess the more people we can keep away the better, already its getting far too crowded down here...
:thumbup:

If it is paradise, I can't blame you for that. Looks like Bass Strait is a shoal with deep water on both ends. I can see ground swells being able to run right through and being nasty?
Old 12-10-2015, 14:37   #34

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

*adds another place to visit to his list
i'll buy you all a beer when i do!
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If it is paradise, I can't blame you for that. Looks like Bass Strait is a shoal with deep water on both ends. I can see ground swells being able to run right through and being nasty?
Thats the idea If we say it often enough maybe a few people will believe it and stay well away where the seas are like glass and the wind never blows...

Typical nice Bass Strait weather..

No, all Joking aside Bass Strait like all places has its moments, but it can also be like a millpond at others. The holding is lousy, but modern anchors really open it up. Not a lot of really good all weather anchorages, but that adds to the spice. The forecasts are accurate, and there is lots of options to shelter from any wind direction, just not all at once. Biggest danger is the tiger snakes as big as your leg and poisonous as all get out, and don't forget those drop bears...

oh and watch out for the roaming packs of wild Thylacines.
Old 12-10-2015, 15:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thats the idea If we say it often enough maybe a few people will believe it and stay well away where the seas are like glass and the wind never blows...

Typical nice Bass Strait weather..

No, all Joking aside Bass Strait like all places has its moments, but it can also be like a millpond at others. The holding is lousy, but modern anchors really open it up. Not a lot of really good all weather anchorages, but that adds to the spice. The forecasts are accurate, and there is lots of options to shelter from any wind direction, just not all at once. Biggest danger is the tiger snakes as big as your leg and poisonous as all get out, and don't forget those drop bears...

oh and watch out for the roaming packs of wild Thylacines.
Old 12-10-2015, 16:25   #37

Apologies to the OP, my previous posts might have been a bit insensitive given the situation. It certainly sounds like a scam to me, and knowing the area, there is absolutely no way someone could hide for years in any of the islands around tassie. All the best to you and your family.

Old 12-10-2015, 18:56   #38

Hi Friend of Nina's
Its not my intention to put anyone off cruising the islands of Bass Strait. I was rather aiming to give a realistic picture of how harsh that environment can be. Like most rugged wildernesses it has a unique and unparalleled beauty but its not a place for the faint of heart or unprepared. Balmy tropical paradises they are not. A great place to visit in the right weather conditions, forearmed with good information and in the right vessel
Taswildlife is offline   Reply With Quote