Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 09:59   #91

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Re: Pacific North West Advice

I suggest you purchase the December issue of Pacific Yachting (mag) as it has a good article on traversing into the Broughtons from a southerly origin. This magazine is published out of Vancouver BC.

I also suggest you subscribe to said magazine as you will get lots of great tips on various locations from Seattle up to and into Alaska. In the December issue:

1) The Broughtons a fragile beauty by Geraldine Guilfoyle

2) Danger Passage by Rick Hudson (This article is about Active Pass, a passage I can just about guarantee you, you will use at some point)

3) Wakes Cove & Dogfish Bay, Valdes Island (This article about one location in the Gulph Islands, across from Gabriola Island)
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:07   #92

The Douglass' guides are very useful and complete

BEAR SPRAY IS USELESS.....carry a pair of Olin 12ga. flare guns when ashore in bear country...they fear little red balls of fire (and everything up here is usually wet/damp so no fire danger)

Don't travel in the dark...too many logs, debris, etc to meet unexpectedly.
ja62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:25   #93

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Madeira Bay in Pender Harbour is great. Groceries and booze within walking distance and you are encouraged to take your grocery carts right down to the gov't dock. And they have a great meat department...
Make sure to get the double smoked wild boar bacon at the IGA - unbelievable!
Old 14-12-2018, 11:07   #94

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

As for weather, I'll mention this little tidbit. We cruised from Anacortes to Desolation Sound last spring and early summer for about 6 weeks total. Left about May 10th from Anacortes after trailering up a couple of hundred miles from home. 26' sailboat. We took FAR too much polar fleece, a portable cabin heater, the dodger, of course, and planned to freeze. In fact, we NEVER had on the foulies except for the spray from Chatterbox Falls at Princess Louisa, and only folded up the dodger for SHADE while in Desolation Sound. We did not take enough sun screen! Who knows what you'll get, for sure, but don't assume it'll be like Alaska the whole time! If you go early, be aware that lots of places are not stocked yet, nor even open. We found empty stores and resupply centers often, and were even kicked off the dock at Wildernest in Desolation Sound because they 'weren't open yet'. Seems like June 1 is the date they look at for the beginning of their 'season'. Lots of space everywhere we went: anchorages, docks, parks, etc. I LOVE going early!!!!
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 11:27   #95

Boat: Tollycraft Sedan 37

We cruised from Anacortes to Glacier Bay last summer and I agree with the many great suggestions for your library. Waggoneris a must, Dream Speaker volumes if you like to anchor out (we use the heck out of these) and if you plan to go that far north, Douglas is a must.
We have used Ports and Passes no matter where we have cruised in the PNW for as long as I can remember. These are better than any of the electronic solutions or apps I have. Currents and rapids are extreme as is the tide swing the further north you go. I remember helping a 58 footer who grounded in Desolation Sound who was from So. Cal. and he was caught off guard by the large tide swings. The rapids are not a reason to be stopped, but you must plan for slack. This is what we use Ports and Passes most for. We cruise at 15 knots and we still have to pay close attention to any of the rapids as you get further north. Not a game stopper, but a great new challenge for you to learn and experience. As mentioned earlier, wood in the water is a real hazard along the inland waters until you round Cape Caution in our experience. We just don’t travel at night.
Depending on your time frame, you will have way more than you can see, even if you stop at the north end of Vancouver island. I am sure you will have a great summer, but plan to layer clothes and have some really good rain gear. You can’t always wait for the sunshine up here!
Worthywl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 12:03   #96
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja62 View Post
BEAR SPRAY IS USELESS.....carry a pair of Olin 12ga. flare guns when ashore in bear country...they fear little red balls of fire (and everything up here is usually wet/damp so no fire danger)
You're probably one of those people who think you're supposed to spray it all over yourself before you go out into the woods aren't ya? (yes this happens) Study after study proves spray crushes EVERYTHING ELSE, look it up! and I have literally watched dump bears walking around with smoldering fur from garbage fires. Always wet in the PNW? Maybe all that smoke in the air this summer has clouded your thought process.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 12:57   #97

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
AWe found empty stores and resupply centers often, and were even kicked off the dock at Wildernest in Desolation Sound because they 'weren't open yet'. Seems like June 1 is the date they look at for the beginning of their 'season'. Lots of space everywhere we went: anchorages, docks, parks, etc. I LOVE going early!!!!
Hmmmm... we had that experience too at Wildernest...we didn't even make it to the docks before we were shooed off. It actually kind of soured me on going back as they were a little bit brusk about it.

But ya, go early, experience the glorious solitude of Desolation before June and then head north to the Broughtons and all points north.
Old 14-12-2018, 13:41   #98

Boat: 1999 Celestial 50

You will regret using a soft-bottom dinghy. As mentioned, lots of barnacle-encrusted rocks to scramble over getting ashore. The “Dreamspeaker” guides are very good for a first-timer to the area, lots of good visual information, and quite well organized. A 400-600’ floating line for stern tying. Even if you’ve never done it, you will be. Easy enough to learn.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 13:56   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
You're probably one of those people who think you're supposed to spray it all over yourself before you go out into the woods aren't ya? (yes this happens) Study after study proves spray crushes EVERYTHING ELSE, look it up! and I have literally watched dump bears walking around with smoldering fur from garbage fires. Always wet in the PNW? Maybe all that smoke in the air this summer has clouded your thought process.
rbk...I don't trust "studies"--I trust what I have seen and experienced firsthand over 8 years guiding in SE Alaska. I have seen a group of large brown bears picking through the flaming burn pile at our local dump stop and focus all of their attention and movement in my direction, only to be dissuaded by a "small red flying ball of fire". I've watched a brown bear walk through a cloud of bear spray toward the frightened tourist flyfisherman (with a now empty, useless spray can) who was smart enough not to run, as I launched an Olin round toward the animal and changed his direction of travel. I still have not met a bear that likes flares, although I did meet one who returned to argue his case but promptly retreated after fireball #2... My "study" in in actual,real word situations proves marine flare guns to be effective, RELOADABLE, and affordable. Hand held flares work also.

The always wet/damp comment was meant to be taken with a grain of salt/somewhat humorously... I would hope that anyone who can get their boat from Southern California up to PNW/British Columbia/Inside Passage/SE Alaska has enough common sense/brains not to go starting forest fires.

BTW, I don't breathe smoke and my thought processes are not clouded.
Old 14-12-2018, 14:53   #100
rbk

Quote:
rbk...I don't trust "studies"--I trust what I have seen and experienced firsthand over 8 years guiding in SE Alaska. I have seen a group of large brown bears picking through the flaming burn pile at our local dump stop and focus all of their attention and movement in my direction, only to be dissuaded by a "small red flying ball of fire". I've watched a brown bear walk through a cloud of bear spray toward the frightened tourist flyfisherman (with a now empty, useless spray can) who was smart enough not to run, as I launched an Olin round toward the animal and changed his direction of travel. I still have not met a bear that likes flares, although I did meet one who returned to argue his case but promptly retreated after fireball #2... My "study" in in actual,real word situations proves marine flare guns to be effective, RELOADABLE, and affordable. Hand held flares work also.

The always wet/damp comment was meant to be taken with a grain of salt/somewhat humorously... I would hope that anyone who can get their boat from Southern California up to PNW/British Columbia/Inside Passage/SE Alaska has enough common sense/brains not to go starting forest fires.

BTW, I don't breathe smoke and my thought processes are not clouded.
Well I stayed in the north and SE Alaska for the last 40. No deterrent is 100 % effective. I've also watched a bear take a 338 275 gr nosler partition center mass, destroying heart and lungs only to watch it run a half mile through a wall of coastal brush. A griz can cover a hundred yards in 6 seconds, what do you think will happen when your little red ball lands behind a changing bear? Then you have to reload, aim and hope you get it in front of him, same goes for a gun. That is of course assuming you can even see it charging through thick underbrush. Watched plenty of coastal griz shake off a 12 gauge rubber bullet at 20 yards and the occasional slug to the head, adrenaline is an incredible thing, but you can keep illegally firing off flares in heavy wooded areas.
Old 14-12-2018, 16:16   #101

Hi, My wife and I have been cruising 4 to 5 months per year, mainly Seattle to Prince Rupert for the past 10 years. Max total number days at dock 7 to 8 days. We are fans of Douglas, Wagner, Ports and Passes. We dumped our Dream series. We also use secret anchorages of the inside passage.. Do not have the books as we are in Mexico. We hardly ever stern tie because we are not in busy anchorages. We have put between 25 to 30,000 kn miles. We also tow a 20 foot fishing boat since 2011. We shifted to a Rockna anchor in 2010 after pulling anchor in the middle of the night a couple times and that is when it will happen. We always set a anchor watch with a fairly tight radius.
Good luck drifterlarson
drifterlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 19:09   #102

Quote:
Well I stayed in the north and SE Alaska for the last 40. No deterrent is 100 % effective. I've also watched a bear take a 338 275 gr nosler partition center mass, destroying heart and lungs only to watch it run a half mile through a wall of coastal brush. A griz can cover a hundred yards in 6 seconds, what do you think will happen when your little red ball lands behind a changing bear? Then you have to reload, aim and hope you get it in front of him, same goes for a gun. That is of course assuming you can even see it charging through thick underbrush. Watched plenty of coastal griz shake off a 12 gauge rubber bullet at 20 yards and the occasional slug to the head, adrenaline is an incredible thing, but you can keep illegally firing off flares in heavy wooded areas.
OK....I give up...I'll just move to LA or NYC or Miami where it's safe and I only gotta deal with humans...................
Old 14-12-2018, 19:12   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
OK....I give up...I'll just move to LA or NYC or Miami where it's safe and I only gotta deal with humans...................
I would rather deal with the bears .
If they want to do you harm you know it they wont stab you in the back while smiling to your face.
Old 14-12-2018, 19:15   #104

Quote:
forgot to add.... 1.always stay away from walls of thick coastal underbrush!
2.always bounce the ball of red fire off the GRAVEL or Wet Sand in front of the bear...........
Old 14-12-2018, 19:17   #105
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I would rather deal with the bears .
If they want to do you harm you know it they wont stab you in the back while smiling to your face.
Or ones that go around shooting off incendiaries in the forest. Ja62 is right though, when the forest is a raging inferno there is a very low risk of a bear attack