Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 13:54   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
New Zealand - Cape Reinga / North Cape

Hi,
We plan to sail down the west coast of New Zealand in January. Most likely we will have to wait for the right weather to round Cape Reinga. Where is the best place to wait? I have been to Whangaroa and that is a great place to anchor in all conditions, but it's quite a way from the Cape. Is there anything closer?

Thanks.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 14:16   #2

Boat: Mason 53
Re: New Zealand - Cape Reinga/North Cape

G'day, Mate. Not really. Whangaroa is the best and make sure not to tell to many people about the "sunny, peaceful, jewel of the north" if you know what I mean. Matai Bay on the SE side of Cape KariKari is o.k. in westerlies, but will always have a bit of lift as it is very exposed to the east. You can also use Spirits Bay at North Cape, but again very exposed. Hope that helps. All the best with the passage south. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 14:30   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Thanks Matauwhi,
That's what it looked like from the guide.
And I promise not to tell anyone about Whangaroa (and even if I did, being American I can't say it correctly anyway!)
The Bay of Islands sure is a great place too! We were here last year and loved it, so had to come back to Opua.
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 15:19   #4

Your welcome, mate. You can stop into Monganui if you want what to restock the food and fuel (petro, since there isn't any but diesel in Whangaroa) before heading north. The harbour is pretty full of moorings and you wind up sitting with the tide. You may be used to that if you spend lots of time in Opua. Pronounce the "wh" with an "f" if you are around the local Maori's and "wan" when your around the local pakehas and you should be right.

Do call by if you see us anchored up somewhere along the coast. Always good to have a "yarn" with fellow yanks. All the best. Cheers.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:12   #5

Re: New Zealand - Cape Reinga / North Cape

G'day again, mate. Sometimes the brain and fingers aren't working together. Here is the correct spelling of Mangonui. Sorry about that, but is is pronounced as missspelled above. Cheers.
Old 15-11-2011, 21:16   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: New Zealand - Cape Reinga / North Cape

The Northern end (Whatuwhiwhi) of Doubtless Bay provides good anchorage in certain conditions. In Mangonui itself good anchorage can also be found turning left at the point (Butler Point?) under the headland opposite the wharf. Long and narrow channel but deep enough if you are a bit careful. Sorry I am not at the boat with my charts and cannot remember names.

Matai Bay can be subject to ground swell but on the hard left after you go through the headlands good anchorage can be found along there with care. We have stayed there and the main Matai Bay itself many times.

I have heard Ranganu Harbour on the northern side of Kari Kari Peninsula can also be ok but we have only ever visited the bays on the eastern side at the entrance during the day so cannot really qualify that.

Houhora is very sheltered, long narrow and extremely tidal so anchoring can be a bit tricky in the basin. Moorings can usually be obtained by contacting the gamefishing club. Far North Radio vhf channel 60? can assist you there.

Never been into Parengarenga harbour, shoals move and very difficult unless absolutely settled weather and local knowledge.

At the top an alternative to Spirits Bay is Tom Bowling Bay. We spent a lovely new years eve in Tom Bowling once with a couple of other boats we were cruising with, when we found Spirits Bay to be a bit blustery with the best spots taken by fishing boats.

The publications Pickmere's and Akarana Cruising guide provide good reference to these areas and more if you are able to purchase, beg or borrow them.

Cheers
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote