Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2017, 22:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: MALAYSIA as a Home Base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I also heard James from Pankor is starting a haul out and yard facility at Puturi?
Hi! Dale,

Heard and saying, maybe and may not true. but, never heard of that. Puteri Harbour Marina at Nusajaya will be manage by one Degree and 15 minutes marina, Sentosa by early next year. Surrounding areas are for housing and not industrial.

Beside Puteri Harbour, there are another 3 new marinas around Johor-bahru exclude Sabana Cove Marina at Penggerang District, Johor.

Cheers......
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 01:00   #17

Boat: William Garden Ketch

Hi Pelagic,

Before you head south from Subic, I recommend a year in Japan. The cruising was great and the costs far cheaper than you would expect. Not as cheap as the PI but comparable to Guam and Palau. And if you add marina prices KK. We continued on to Alaska and will return to Singapore via Oz sometime in the far future. Still remember you from the Western Series in Raffles Marina many years ago.

Anyway anywhere you chose in that part of the world has pros and cons. Depends on if the cup is half empty or full I guess.

Cheers

Mark and Pauline
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 02:30   #18

Boat: tayana custom 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
I would think twice about Malaysia. Three years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about moving there, but times are changing.

Before the oil crash the military had signed US$80B in contracts. After the crash, keeping in mind that 20% of government revenue comes from oil, the government virtually went broke, and not a one of those contracts was fulfilled.

Until recently, the Malaysian govt was keen and strict on a multi-cultural society and transparency against corruption. With the economic crisis, that has changed drastically.

The Malay Chinese (MC) are being pushed out of government, and government is leaning toward a less secular body of laws- meaning the more fundamental Muslims are (successfully so far) trying to make Malaysia an Islamist country. Last week the KL government cancelled the beer festival because it would be offensive! OMG!

Corruption, once the bane of advancing Malaysia, has come roaring back.

Like Venezuela, Malaysia is trading (selling off) oil and land in exchange for infrastructure projects...in the end, they'll be owned by China.

The race tensions are at the "frustrated" level. The MC continue to be pushed out and be treated second class, which may some day erupt.

Crime (particularly now, petty crime) is on the rise. KL used to be one of the safest cities in the world; it may still be, but that too is changing.

Depending on how important your home might be (as in, how well you can afford to walk away) you may want to consider investing less, being in a more CM area, or finding somewhere else.

I don't have a crystal ball, so can't say what will happen. Maybe Malaysia will just be another Thailand. But it could be Turkey or Venezuela as well. No matter what, they've departed the Singapore path.

Based on that, I'd suggest southwest Johore. Not my favorite place, but a quick escape to Singapore.
Reading this reply with astonishing feelings with each line this mr is writing about Malaysia! Talking with Trumps fake news this is fake news!!!! Nothing in this reply rectifies the question and answer. Like the beer fest they didn't get a permit for was (if you would have read further) because the Police had information a IS or similar attack was planned on a obvious target. Namely 1000 drunken non muslims!!! in one building, so government could not guaranty safety. All i want to say after living here for 15 years its a great country to either sail or retire!!!!!! People are not on the brink of fighting each other because of race, unlike in the states!!! And like the MC (malaysian chinese) do; if you swim down stream and reach a rock swim around it!!!
So an island like Langkawi as said is a great get a way for exploring Thailand, everybody speaks English and is only 1.40 hour away from Changi airport with direct flighs every day!!! We need to get of the island as well sometime. Great country and good luck with your decisions. Listen to more people then only know best guys!!!
monus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 03:58   #19

I spent a lot of time in Malaysia. I would never buy anything there for these reasons:

Most of the buildings are not well constructed and are built to last only a few years.
A lot of these projects are disasters and financed with money from other countries. After a while people réalise that it is an empty box, and stop paying their community payments, ... .
A company sometimes has to invest in these sorts of projects to run their own business and so they invest money in this system without any further interests.
In the end, the constructions sometimes come again in the hands of the ones who built them and so they fix them up again and try to sell them again or they stay like they are and they become spooky areas and in a few years they fall completely apart! I saw complexes without electricity, water infiltration, fungus, windows broken, abandoned, ... and the few people who where left were also planning to leave their property behind and so they will also lose it!

People are naturally friendly everywhere and so also in Malaysia. The system is not always so friendly and it seems that it slowly moves backwards. Even locals with a Malaysian passport have different classes and rules, people are missing in detention centers from the government and their families have no idea where they are, there is a religious police, ... .
I had conversations with people of all kinds of religions, happy and not happy people and Malaysia has really big differences in all these different groups and how they think!

I would never buy something a southeast asian country, but rent something using money from property that I rent out in my home country! in that way, I could move away if I wanted and I don't risk being trapped in a country with other thoughts and rules.

But again: I had no troubles in all the years that I cruised around the world and simple people are mostly friendly and good-hearted, also in Malaysia! I found it a lovely place!
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 12:26   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWISPEL View Post

I would never buy something a southeast asian country, but rent something using money from property that I rent out in my home country! in that way, I could move away if I wanted
This. ^^^

I spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia and toyed with the idea of buying several times.

On returning to these places I often find them run down, belly up, one villa I was very keen on had the nice bit of bush gone and pig farm next to it, the aroma and noise was something else , another one I liked had a karaoke bar appear playing to about 5am.

But, I love it there and would rent the right place in a heartbeat.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 16:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
This. ^^^

I spent a fair amount of time in Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia and toyed with the idea of buying several times.

On returning to these places I often find them run down, belly up, one villa I was very keen on had the nice bit of bush gone and pig farm next to it, the aroma and noise was something else , another one I liked had a karaoke bar appear playing to about 5am.

But, I love it there and would rent the right place in a heartbeat.
Yes.....I found this all over SE Asia...also as you implied, no zoning. Like you, I've seen BEAUTIFUL homes next to tarp/rusty corrugated metal covered dumps.....which came first? Personally, I don't know but it would be a major bummer to buy or build and have this happen.

One house in VN i looked at already had the trashy tarp covered eatery/disco right next door. No thanks....brand new beautiful multi-story beach view home too.

Conventional wisdom is to rent first.....don't buy until at least the 3rd visit. Oh and FAR away from any local relatives.
Old 01-10-2017, 18:36   #22

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
I spent 7 years flying to Vietnam. Beautiful country, good food and in general the people were very nice.

I looked at buying in Nha Trang but at the time, foreigners were NOT allowed to own land and the prices were HIGH....surprisingly.
In the tourist areas maybe but go several hundred metres outside of the tourist area and the prices drop considerably.

Quote:
A couple of issues......not cruiser friendly I'm told and English is not widely spoken outside the big cities.
True, but marinas are being built, sort of, Seawind Catamarans are built there and some farrier trimarans as well and people on the ground say it will happen one day soon.
Asia soon is different to western world soon. 6 mths, 6 years, 60 years?

Quote:
A few other weird quirks..... you may have to show proof of marriage when you check into a hotel,
If you check in with a Viet girl yes, but white faces no
Quote:
you can't rent a car or drive a motorbike over a certain size......something like 150ccs.
again thats changing though the most common size is 125cc
Dont really need anything bigger, 40kph around town is as fast as you want to go.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by monus View Post
Reading this reply with astonishing feelings with each line this mr is writing about Malaysia! Talking with Trumps fake news this is fake news!!!! Nothing in this reply rectifies the question and answer. Like the beer fest they didn't get a permit for was (if you would have read further) because the Police had information a IS or similar attack was planned on a obvious target. Namely 1000 drunken non muslims!!! in one building, so government could not guaranty safety. All i want to say after living here for 15 years its a great country to either sail or retire!!!!!! People are not on the brink of fighting each other because of race, unlike in the states!!! And like the MC (malaysian chinese) do; if you swim down stream and reach a rock swim around it!!!
So an island like Langkawi as said is a great get a way for exploring Thailand, everybody speaks English and is only 1.40 hour away from Changi airport with direct flighs every day!!! We need to get of the island as well sometime. Great country and good luck with your decisions. Listen to more people then only know best guys!!!
Blame Trump. Or you could blame the 2IC of the State Police who was venting to me, or the multi-ethnic firms I deal with that share a common concern in ethnic bifurcation. One might even blame IS for planning an attack, or blame the government for buckling to IS.

I'm glad you like Malaysia, it is an absolutely stunning country. But I believe that Malaysia- like many countries- has reached its zenith. Certainly, the atmosphere isn't what it was five or ten years ago.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:53   #24

I too think renting is a better option. I love Penang if you want an ocean view 3 bedroom apartment you can get one for 750Aud p/m near Gerney Plaza but go 400m towards the private hospital and a 2 bedroom apartment is arou 300aud p/m. I am in langkawi at the moment and my place 1 bed is 300 p/m fully serviced.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 15:53   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks SimonV for the rental figures.

While renting is a good transient solution, it does not secure an Ownership (land or building) investment for someone who wants to retire there.

Having lived in the Philippines for 17 years, the homes we bought have been good financial investments, but the government's infrastructure record has been dismal!

Subic with the ready made US Base construction and facilities has been the exception.

We have really been impressed with KK and Sabah but would like to find something within driving distance of Singapore, if we liked the area as a permanant residence.

One concern is the security of Malaysian land owned by foreigners?

Recently they have upped the minimum purchase for Foreigners from 500k RM TO 1 Million RM with some states now going up again to 2 Million RM.

What is the message the Malaysian Government is sending to foreigners?

With my long term partner being Filipino, after I am gone, will that investment be at risk because she is not a citizen?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 18:28   #26

Quote:
If you check in with a Viet girl yes, but white faces no
True, but the OP's lady is Asian as is mine. The ass-umption MAY be that your Asian gal is Vietnamese.

Just a heads up with some of the hotels we stayed at. As an aside, the ass-umption MAY also be that our Asian ladies are hookers. We HAVE received some serious stink eye from the locals. YMMV.
Old 23-10-2017, 03:26   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Three years in Miri. Easy bike to town from yacht club. Few tourists.

Very friendly locals.

Easy plane to Singapore when you need a big city.

Only downside was sand flies. Have to install AC to sleep well at night.

I used to take a bus to Brunei for visa run. I was able to have lunch is BSB and be back in Miri same day.

You likely will find you can continue to live easily aboard your boat in Miri.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 00:16   #28

Property prices in Johor are inflated, in part due to apparent demand by investors from China and there seems to be an oversupply of homes now.

Prices for a two-storey terrace house were around RM250 000 about 6-7 years ago. A house with similar attributes in recent years are around RM750 000. And yes, there have been cases of entire housing projects left abandoned, leaving foreign oweners in a lurch. A relative of mine was in that situation.

https://www.propertyguru.com.my/prop...ecome-deserted

Honestly, the low and middle-income locals are unhappy with rising costs of living, home prices included. Singaporeans from across the causeway enjoy the strength of their currency. A plate of rice with dishes at RM7 is only SGD2. But for the Malaysian who earns RM1500/month, that's an expensive meal.
nazri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 08:38   #29

Some Great Advice Up Thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Our house in Subic Bay is now sold and we move full time back onto Stargazer in the next 2 months.

After basing myself in the Philippines for 17 years, I want to try someplace new as a back up residence while still cruising SE Asia and west pacific.

Eventually with the view to having a retirement home ashore when not cruising and/or when we sell the boat. Malaysia offers a good retirement program.

With just the two of us, ideally we are looking to buy a comfortable Sea View hi rise apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) that is secure, lockable for when cruising and in a nice and interesting area that is popular with Expats.

In Malaysia, I know Kota Kinabalu/Sabah well but that seems less convenient to the resources of Singapore or KL, than West Coast Malaysia say from Penang to Johor, where you could drive to Singapore.

Has any one done a similar search or has comments- recommendations on where we should start looking?

Stargazer, now registered in Langkawi would not have a permanent moorage, so that is not a big issue.

Thanks for any advice.
Looks like you got some good advice from some very experienced folks. I cannot comment with the kind of authority that many of them have displayed regarding the social, political and security issues noted; however I can add some personal impressions of the places which I have visited.

I was at Sabana Cove for about a week in about 2012 looking at a boat there. You seem to understand the history fairly well. I have heard that the same company that built the SBYC built Sabana, and that would not surprise me, as the resemblance between the two is striking. Heard they have had the same mgt issues.

Also, although advertised, there were minimal maintenance and repair facilities at the club, in 2012. Guess you know how that goes. Not sure what it is like nowadays, but other folks on this thread might know.

The marina is serene and beautiful, if a bit lonely at times. Hot in the spring and summer. The way up river from Johor is narrow, relatively shallow, and can be treacherous. One must pay close attention to the tides. The nav stuff, which you are probably already aware of, is from yachtsmen living there at the time.

I thought that the villas were beautiful, if a bit under-maintained. Very private and nicely landscaped. Also on the positive side is the locale, full of exotic birds, with monkey, and even elephant "crossings" on the road into the marina. Locals said they had not seen elephants in a long time, but, as on Langkawi, there were lots of monkeys and beautiful birds around. Yet, at the same time, one is not far from downtown Johor Baru or Singapore. As you note, investment potential in the area seems good - at least from my own naive point of view.

Seemed very safe at the time, but as folks up thread have noted, seems like times have changed. You ought to be able to get a good handle on that with the security resources at your disposal.

Johor Baru itself is a bit too fast paced, crowded and noisy for me, but up around Sabana was somewhat idllyic IMHO.

That said, if I were considering Malaysia, I would choose Langkawi, but I understand your reservations in that regard. I loved Langkawi. EXCELLENT workingman's Indian and Chinese restaurants in the main part of town where few tourists venture. Good daily variety in the local eateries at Philippine-style prices. And, if you're desperate for a touch of Americana - a McDonald's (watch out for the monkey's raiding the garbage cans in the parking lot, however).

Also a good chandelrey - much better stocked and much cheaper than BWM at Subic. Safe and reliable anchorages, most free. Three decent marinas. Good beer at reasonable prices. Good roads, respectful, friendly people who actually drive on the correct side of the road, traffic lights, pristine forest reserves, pretty reefs to snorkle over, a cable car to the island summit with incredible vistas, elephant rides in the jungle, spitting distance from Thailand, and ... need I go on?

Best to you and the "ole lady" this Xmas season,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 11:15   #30

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

I'm at Port Dickson these days, and cannot help noticing that the marina there (Admiral Marina) is absolutely beautiful. There's a number of bungalow- and condo projects in the area, including some right on the docks. It's close to KUL airport, which means easy connections to lots of places... and driving distance to KL and Singapore. Clean, clear water, and a good choice of beaches, shopping, entertainment, etc... I would consider that area, if I were to settle in Malaysia.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Malaysia