Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 13:07   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Petaluma, CA
Boat: Morgan 382
Posts: 83
Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

I am currently in A Samoa, with two hitchhiking crew on board. We are headed for a brief stop in Fiji, then to New Zealand where my crew will be departing.

What can I expect and what are the requirements? Do they need onward tickets before we arrive?

On the customs and immigration paperwork should they be considered passengers or crew, and what is the difference?
__________________

wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 17:09   #2
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 18,461
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

They need passports and visas for NZ. I don't know for sure what Fiji's requirements are, maybe someone else can fill you in there.

Ann
__________________

__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 17:36   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,173
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
They need passports and visas for NZ. I don't know for sure what Fiji's requirements are, maybe someone else can fill you in there.

Ann
Everyone on your boat must have a valid passport that has at least three months before expiring when entering almost any country.

Unless the rules have changed you will get a three month visa upon entry into New Zealand. Some nationalities get six months. Fiji does not require a visa.

Always list your hitchhikers as crew. Passengers means that you are running a charter business and you must be insured, licensed and your vessel must meet more stringent requirements.

Also be sure that any crew you have aboard has the financial means to buy a ticket to their home country. If they don't you may end up paying for a ticket.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 18:08   #4
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,522
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I am currently in A Samoa, with two hitchhiking crew on board. We are headed for a brief stop in Fiji, then to New Zealand where my crew will be departing.

What can I expect and what are the requirements? Do they need onward tickets before we arrive?

On the customs and immigration paperwork should they be considered passengers or crew, and what is the difference?
Good answer from stormalong.

What was it like in the Apia Marina - or what was left over after the cyclone ?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 19:37   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Petaluma, CA
Boat: Morgan 382
Posts: 83
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Good answer from stormalong.

What was it like in the Apia Marina - or what was left over after the cyclone ?
I am in Pago Pago, American Samoa, not Western Samoa. There is some evidence of the Tsunami from 2009? but not much.

My crew has funds available, I just want to make sure they don't need a pre- purchased onward ticket.
__________________
-Warren
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 20:55   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Langley, WA
Boat: Nordic 44
Posts: 1,173
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

In case you are not aware of it noonsite.com has a lot of information on entering any country.

I just confirmed on that site that as long as you are a U.S. passport holder you do not need to get a visa in advance. Noonsite has a list of countries that do not need visas in advance. If your crew are not from the U.S.A it would be a good idea to check out noonsite.

Also, there are advance reporting requirements that have been in place for a long time and new biosecurity regulations. New Zealand has been plagued by pest infestations in the past and they are very strict on what you bring into the country. You will be searched for anything that might violate their rules.

I have entered New Zealand by boat three times. The Customs and Quarantine people are very friendly. Be friendly back and don't try to hide anything from them.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 21:10   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,248
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

They should be listed as crew, not passengers. You want to sign them off the crew list as quickly as possible. If they have out going flight reservations you can probably sign them off the boat when you clear into NZ. We did this with crew. If you can't then you should consider holding their passport till you can sign them off. If they are listed as crew you are personally responsible to repatriate them back to their home country at your expense.
Kiwi customs and immigration are generally very friendly, they just have a lot of rules that they intend to follow.
__________________
Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 23:20   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Petaluma, CA
Boat: Morgan 382
Posts: 83
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
They should be listed as crew, not passengers. You want to sign them off the crew list as quickly as possible. If they have out going flight reservations you can probably sign them off the boat when you clear into NZ. We did this with crew. If you can't then you should consider holding their passport till you can sign them off. If they are listed as crew you are personally responsible to repatriate them back to their home country at your expense.
Kiwi customs and immigration are generally very friendly, they just have a lot of rules that they intend to follow.
Pardon my ignorance, I've just started cruising and am still learning. I have been reading noonsite, and also https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...rom-nz/yachts/

What is meant by "sign them off the crew list?" That is probably the heart of what I was originally asking. Is there a notice/procedure I must do with NZ customs and immigration when they leave my crew? I believe they expect to backpack around New Zealand for 3 months until their visa expires. So they don't yet have the outbound ticket, but they do have funds for one.
__________________
-Warren
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 23:26   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Zealand
Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Posts: 1,601
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Another thing to note is that you must have a bill for Hull cleaning no more than 30 days old when you arrive in nz, so book that in before you set off on the final leg.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 02:29   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fremantle, Australia
Boat: 45' Custom Ted Brewer
Posts: 64
Send a message via Skype™ to Ahquabi
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

It depends on there nationality and type of visa they have.....if they are getting a visa on arrival (and departing the boat) they will probably need an onward ticket. Best thing to do is to ask NZ immigation directly https://www.immigration.govt.nz/contact. You will need to give NZ authorities notice (48hrs last time i checked) prior to your arrival anyway.



When I did it my crew all had visas prior to entry so they did not need an onward ticket.



I told them I cleaned the hull myself so no bill required.


Why make the jump from Fiji? I did it from New Caledonia....shorter
Ahquabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 08:28   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 8,248
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Pardon my ignorance, I've just started cruising and am still learning. I have been reading noonsite, and also https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...rom-nz/yachts/

What is meant by "sign them off the crew list?" That is probably the heart of what I was originally asking. Is there a notice/procedure I must do with NZ customs and immigration when they leave my crew? I believe they expect to backpack around New Zealand for 3 months until their visa expires. So they don't yet have the outbound ticket, but they do have funds for one.
When you arrive in any country by boat (or for that matter plane) all crew are listed as entering via the boat. The master is responsible for all crew on the crew list to exit the country via the boat when it clears out. In most countries immigration is the one that is concerned with crew lists.
You can go to immigration with the crews passport and have them removed from the crew list. You usually need to demonstrate how they will then exit the country.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 10:42   #12
Registered User
 
grantmc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Wellington, NZ and Fiji
Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Posts: 538
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
... I just confirmed on that site that as long as you are a U.S. passport holder you do not need to get a visa in advance. Noonsite has a list of countries that do not need visas in advance. If your crew are not from the U.S.A it would be a good idea to check out noonsite.
This is actually wrong. A visa is required but it is granted at the border on entry.

BUT visitor MUST have a totally clean criminal and immigration record. NZ wont allow such people in without applying for a visa (And mostly these are refused). And you don't even have to have had a conviction, we also don't allow people in if there's any suspicion of terrorism, drug dealing, money laundering etc. A simple example, if their passport shows a visit to somewhere like Syria big red flag.

I would urge you, as skipper, to check directly with a NZ Embassy or High Commission. Relying on the opinions of people on a forum may lead to poor decisions. I mean no denigration to any posters. But find out the real facts first.

Also it's likely to be a long distance between your port of entry (say Opua, BOI) and Auckland. So it wont just be the cost of a ticket out, but also the costs of the Police escort to get them to the airport.

Just a few weeks ago here on CruiserForum, (sorry can't find the thread,) some guy was refused entry at Heathrow because he'd 'forgotten' that 30+ years prior he'd been kicked out of Britain for overstaying as young man.

Here's a thread link to a similar question.
__________________
Grant Mc
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.
grantmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 14:23   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
philiosophy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Presently in the Derwent River Tasmania
Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Posts: 155
Images: 7
Re: Headed to New Zealand, passenger vs crew

A couple of things. Because you will have been cruising a while and your having probably left the Americas New Zealand Customs and Bio Security will take every bit of meat and produce and anything that could possibly sprout off your boat. They might well even bring the hush puppy dog and have it crawl thru all the places inside your boat. Even a pot of cooked meat stew. Do not try to hide anything. Its a good idea to have your hull cleaned and we suggest Viti Diving Services in Denerau if thats where you check out. My Southern Cross 39 cost 140.00 fiji and they give you a letter and did a good job as well. My advice is to have your crew buy their open ended tickets before you leave Fiji and you may even be required to do this in Fiji but probably not if they arrive as crew. Get that sorted ahead of time is my advice. By all means check Noonsite or New Zealand Customs and Clearance.
__________________

philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crew, head, New Zealand

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Who's headed to the Americas from New Zealand or Australia by sea Homeseeker Crew Archives 1 05-11-2013 01:54
Captain, Crew or Passenger? kmason Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 5 26-06-2013 09:22
Passenger / Crew Pickup USVI jim767 General Sailing Forum 6 29-01-2012 13:25
Crew Available: Passenger for Now, Crew Later . . . ? 7708Green Crew Archives 0 20-09-2011 11:19
Crew Available: Crew and Passenger Lynton Crew Archives 0 27-04-2010 12:49

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.