Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04   #16
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Cuyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Cuyler can get rough, but Cojo is a great refuge in a northwesterly. It's labeled on Google earth, if you want to take a peek at it.
I'll second this. Be careful in Cuyler if there's a decent swell up. We were drifting around in there in January, trying to decide if it was worth anchoring in the roll, when we looked out to see a wave break across the *entire* bay, with a second not far behind it. Luckily we were in a 50 footer, and had the engine idling. That would have been really no fun in my Catalina 30.

I've had good luck in Becher's on the front side of Santa Rosa, although lots of people pan it. I figure it's kind of like the Pelican / Fry's argument, it depends on who you ask.

Here's a pic I took of the breaker. The photo doesn't do it justice, it was much more exciting at the time .

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 19:06   #17

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
Any use in getting Charlie's Charts on the area? I've got the paper charts, digital, and Fagan's book.

You should do fine with Fagan's book. Parts of the Channel Islands are off limits for fishing. You can still dive, and I often do in the restricted areas, just don't take anything. Scorpion to Potato Bay and parts of the back side off of Santa Cruise Island. They are great islands with good protection. I have rode out about three gales at Santa Cruise, two at Anacapa and one at San Miguel. You won't have to go to the mainland unless you want to. You can get water at Little Ladies by hiking about a quarter mile or so up the canyon, but will find the anchorage full of kelp. It was one of my favorites in the 80s as back then it had no kelp. Enjoy your trip!
The story I've had about the kelp is, no otters, the urchins thrive and eat the kelp roots. Lots of otters, they eat the urchins (& abalone) and then there's a lot of kelp.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 19:08   #18

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
I'll second this. Be careful in Cuyler if there's a decent swell up. We were drifting around in there in January, trying to decide if it was worth anchoring in the roll, when we looked out to see a wave break across the *entire* bay, with a second not far behind it. Luckily we were in a 50 footer, and had the engine idling. That would have been really no fun in my Catalina 30.

I've had good luck in Becher's on the front side of Santa Rosa, although lots of people pan it. I figure it's kind of like the Pelican / Fry's argument, it depends on who you ask.

Here's a pic I took of the breaker. The photo doesn't do it justice, it was much more exciting at the time .

JRM
That looks like a good wave if that's what you're there for.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor