Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2019, 07:11   #61

Re: French Polynesia Cruiser Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
FG , very good post , that is in fact the way it is on many ( most ? ) areas where rich foreigners , often with colonial past connections , are changing the whole environment which they claim to love so much , are they just stupid or don’t give a damn ,
You are projecting your "colonial" concerns here. Not helpful to throw your odd guilt around. The guy who went native has a different take on this, simply regarging rich vs poor.

Someone mentioned that there are many different islands with different cultures in the South Pacific. Can you name such an island where each family owns their own mooring ball with the simple hope of attracting a cruiser to come visit? I can.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 18:33   #62

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Can you name such an island where each family owns their own mooring ball with the simple hope of attracting a cruiser to come visit? I can.
Please share?
DominoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 19:05   #63

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Comprehension Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
your lack of understanding abounds ,,, we can all read, well i presume so , there is lots to be read on indiginous resentment to past colonial issues, nuclear polution is only one of them ,,,, re Vagy , again your ignorance astounds,,.....
This post began with a bonafide issue for worldwide cruisers and then you came along, slinging both bad vibes and piss-poor English. Your interjections yielded nothing but superfluous distraction, until thread death by abandonment.

To everyone else: I offer thanks for the new knowledge shared, as well as feeling much better now; like a good long, piss. Apologies for this additional superfluous distraction.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 21:49   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominoX View Post
Please share?
Palmerston, Cook Islands
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 22:29   #65

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Enough moorings for this lot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traffic.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	204538  
Old 07-12-2019, 22:46   #66

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"In the early years of the 21st century, before population shrinkage events, ...there were a few people with sailboats who....." .....a sci-fantsy to be written by someone interested

Some island environments are so fragile that a huge influx of cruisers can be terribly detrimental. We actually discovered this to our dismay some years ago.

The situation is different now, but I really don't think there are any easy solutions, partly because everybody's agendas are so different. There are a range in the cruising community and a different one for each island group throughout the Pacific Islands.

No politically correct solutions, either.

Fwiw. If you have watermakers, be prepared to share water in places on catchment.

Ann
Old 08-12-2019, 06:28   #67

Boat: Allied 39
French Polynesia Cruiser Problems

Recently reported update on Huahine and Mo’orea. Yes anchoring restrictions are spreading in French Polynesia.

Latest on anchoring restrictions in FP reported by a number of vessels.

Huahine...The DPAM and are likely to be quite (Maritime Affairs) is heading for a 36h limit to anchoring in any given spot in Huahine. The spots are in the process of being defined, and are likely to be quite small.......

Mo’orea... municipal police patrolling Mo'orea. They told us 48 hour maximum anywhere on the island except the few anchorages listed in PGEM as longer stay (mainly opunohu, cooks). They were friendly but seemed intent on enforcing this time.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:39   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Whoa...that's A LOT of boats!

Shouldn't be a problem I would think.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:38   #69

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:

And that is just the boats that have AIS transmitters. What about the majority that don’t have them. Amazing how many boats we have met in FP that do not have AIS transmit!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:03   #70

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Whoa...that's A LOT of boats!

Shouldn't be a problem I would think.
One hopes that most stay east of Panama.....
Old 09-12-2019, 01:54   #71

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
One hopes that most stay east of Panama.....

They do, at least according to the SSCA stats. Getting from Europe or the US to the Caribbean is easy to get there and to return.

Once through Panama it’s a long ways to NZ/AUS or SE Asia, let alone to continue via S Africa or the Red Sea. That’s a daunting and off putting prospect to most, thankfully.

But the reality is that the classic route around the world is increasingly busy. The various rallies are like plagues of locusts, but at least they’re generally concentrated in key locations and go through quickly. Worse I think are the intrusions of the YT vloggers - at some point locals will simply stop welcoming visitors who want to exploit them.

If only GPS hadn’t made navigation so easy and pilotage virtually obsolete. Those skills and celestial navigation were a high bar that generally ensured only prepared and experienced people, and wild dreamers, were out cruising. Now, anyone can, and does.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 23:43   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The reality is that the classic route around the world is increasingly busy. The various rallies are like plagues of locusts, but at least they’re generally concentrated in key locations and go through quickly. Worse I think are the intrusions of the YT vloggers - at some point locals will simply stop welcoming visitors who want to exploit them.
Here are the Pacific Puddle Jump boats for the last 11 years:

http://www.pacificpuddlejump.com/alumni/alumni.html

I counted around 90 boats in 2009, and 110 boats in 2019.

These are just rough counts and I didn't check the other years.

But from my quick eyeballing of the numbers there doesn't seem to be a huge increase.

2009 was right in the middle of the GFC too.

But you could be right. I'd love to see some more data on this.
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:27   #73

Of course the French did there nuclear testing in French Polynesia; the Americans did their nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands. The British did theirs in Woomera, Australia between 1956 and 1963. The Russians did theirs in Siberia and and so on: Pakistan, India, Israel, even South Africa! And don't forget China and North Korea

It is time the younger acquainted themselves with a bit of history and the oldies remembered it.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:53   #74

Boat: no boat any more

...& what does this have to do with the new anchoringrestrictions?
Old 10-12-2019, 11:09   #75

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
Here are the Pacific Puddle Jump boats for the last 11 years:

Pacific Puddle Jump Alumni Lists

I counted around 90 boats in 2009, and 110 boats in 2019.

These are just rough counts and I didn't check the other years.

But from my quick eyeballing of the numbers there doesn't seem to be a huge increase.

2009 was right in the middle of the GFC too.

But you could be right. I'd love to see some more data on this.
While the actual annual numbers may not have gone up that much, the number of boats in the last 4 years who have chosen to get the extended stay visa and then stay two seasons in French Polynesua has gone way up. This essential puts double the load on anchorages, as boats pass through twice and you have the new crossing boats plus last years.

This added load is probably one of the main reasons you start to see local pushback.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, enc, French Polynesia