Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 18:39   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun, 30'9"
Cruising in China

Just want to relay an interesting post about the cruising reality in China: S/Y Jennifer in China –
Would be interesting in hearing other's experience
Old 03-05-2011, 20:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Cruising in China

hey thats my buddy lars on s/v jennifer, as the middle eastern and associated terretories become less accesable countries like japan philipnes ,china etc will become much more accesable as cruising destinations.

ps known lars since he was a lonely nudist in the 80's!!!!

pps was in taipei last year,fantastic......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31   #3

This is the same type of thing that I have seen posted on noonsite before, and which I have heard from HK yachtsmen on a visit there in February this year.

I was interested in sailing from HK to Kaoshiung via Xiamen, Kinmen and Pescador islands, but, I was heartily dissuaded from doing so by numerous skeptics, and, as noted in the blog you posted, it turns out to be illegal to leave Xiamen and clear at Kaoshiung or Keelung.

The good news is that one can sail directly from HK to Keelung or Kaoshiung without problems. It's about 350 nm,and the Royal HK Yacht club is starting a race this year, utilizing the latter route. Race starts May 21 - see my related posts.

Interesting reading.

Thanks for sharing it,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56   #4

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

Great article, thanks for posting Klubko.

I'm working in China at present, for the next three years or so. I had dreams of taking a few months out and sailing over here with the intention of going down to Aussie and NZ when my assignment finishes, but not now that I've read the article.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:45   #5

I also wander about the opening of Hainan. Perhaps that would be a better place to see the Chinese culture from the deck of a boat...
Old 07-05-2011, 11:56   #6

On Hainan: Some Reservations Need Apply

Hainan sure seems like the way to go since the Chinese are, in effect, "designing" this place as a tourist destination with a more yacht friendly environment.

However, I am not so sure that one can discover "Chinese culture" there. Hainan is a unique environment, as I am sure you know. Plus, as seems to be true of EVERY Chinese port of call that I have investigated, certain restrictions will apply.

Certainly, if you are a Taiwanese resident and/or foreign national (ahem) there would be restrictions on where you could visit once hitting Hainan, which is, of course, an island. Would the Chinese officials permit you to go "inland"? Perhaps, that would be possible, depending on the the type of visa that you might be able to aquire in advance; but, from my understanding, your boat would not be able to accompany you "upcountry", and you would have to leave it on Hainan, in trusted hands, most likely at significant expense or with family, while you explored the mainland.

As a caveat, I have to admit that most of the last paragraph is mere speculation based on my internet research and my correspondence with folks like you, who, like I, have been interested in touching down on the China coast.

Please consider the above in the appropriate context, and best of luck with all your boating adventures.

G2L
Old 07-05-2011, 12:01   #7

PS - "wander" is spelled "wonder" : ) Some folks who ... should know better than ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist : )

Thanks for your much appreciated contributions to the overall body of knowledge.

Best regards to you and yours,

G2L
Old 07-05-2011, 15:16   #8

Thanks, it was an honest typo What I meant by "discovering Chinese culture" was really "made it to China by boat" Surely, one would not make anthropological treatise that way, but for people who have no prior experience with Chinese culture (I'd say China towns don't really count), even limited access might offer some unique experience. I would personally probably just go to Hong Kong and use land transport.
Old 07-05-2011, 15:20   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Chinese owners need special permits to travel on their yachts between provinces and are restricted to China's coastal waters (says the May 8 -- May 15, 2011 issue of Bloomberg Businessweek magazine).
Old 14-05-2011, 06:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubko View Post
Thanks, it was an honest typo What I meant by "discovering Chinese culture" was really "made it to China by boat" Surely, one would not make anthropological treatise that way, but for people who have no prior experience with Chinese culture (I'd say China towns don't really count), even limited access might offer some unique experience. I would personally probably just go to Hong Kong and use land transport.
Thanks for putting up with my teasing. It's a cultural thing down here in the PI. : )

Also, interesting for us to note the post above about the limitations that the Chinese government is imposing on its own boat owners.

Interesting input from all concerned.

Best regards,

G2L

Tags
China, cruising