Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 14:04   #46

Boat: looking
Re: Costa Rica Check-In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Seems some people just don't understand the "it's my boat and therefore my rules" concept.

John please stop defending yourself and responding to people who are giving you crap on how you operate YOUR boat! Screw them!!
+1
I think that I would have started having 2nd thoughts when the crew refused to assist in provisioning, but under John's circumstances of location & the crew flying down and the crew being a friend of a friend, it would have been a very awkward situation. Going with John's version of events, the crew described himself as having a lot of experience, but his actions told a different story. No difference, here, to lying on a resume for a job that makes one responsible for others' lives. That John felt the best solution was to turn the boat around is very telling of the height of his concern. As the lawyers say, "res, non verba" (Actions speak louder than words)
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 14:35   #47

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
+1
I think that I would have started having 2nd thoughts when the crew refused to assist in provisioning, but under John's circumstances of location & the crew flying down and the crew being a friend of a friend, it would have been a very awkward situation. Going with John's version of events, the crew described himself as having a lot of experience, but his actions told a different story. No difference, here, to lying on a resume for a job that makes one responsible for others' lives. That John felt the best solution was to turn the boat around is very telling of the height of his concern. As the lawyers say, "res, non verba" (Actions speak louder than words)
+1
Old 07-09-2011, 15:27   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

This game is becoming even more fun. GBN it's okay for you to point a finger, but not me. Just how does that work? Once again point out where I was roughshod until the point I turned around. As Z points out the man was endangering us all. Including himself without knowing it.

No glossing over for you kind of makes you a hypocrite doesn't it? Do as I say, and not as I do sort of thinking going on there. You may have sailed with know it all captains, but you haven't sailed with me. Yet you want to describe who I am as a whole. Maybe you're an enabler, and willing to make excuses for lying? I don't know, but do tell me where it is okay for the man to e-mail he has heavy weather training, and couldn't raise the main in a light wind. I accept the blame for bad judgement. I won't enable the man for lying. A lie is a lie, and it's as simple as that. I am sure you were taught as a child lying is bad, and honesty is good. Why is this so different? I think the crew saying you must be experienced pretty much covers it. You have a nice afternoon, and please do practice what you preach.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
... It is interesting that you criticize John for passing judgement on his crew, and then you turn around and pass judgement on him, without any firsthand knowledge ...
INDEED - well said!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:25   #50
Eternal Member

I am fixing a leak on the wind generator mast support bracket. It has done some damage to the inside trim. I am sanding,, and revarnishing it. While standing at the work bench, and going over this debate in my know it all mind.

The reason I left the white coats was to get my boat home. Sell it if need be to get the highest price I can for it. This will assure Mel's future financiallly. The white coats were killing me, so I figured if I am going to die. It won't be a science project, and I can make sure Mel is financially set. She can pay off the house, and still have lots left over for what she pleases. She will be free to be her own person. Or she can fly home, and retire for life. Be with her loving,, and supporting family. Make life choices not out of need. As I typed in my blog. Selling Imagine in Panama, or even now here in Costa Rica I willl get pennies on the dollar of it's true value.

Now back to the stone throwing. Please do be aware I will throw them back. I played 3rd base up into high school. Be assured I can snatch a hot potatoe, and throw it with great accuracy.......i2f
Old 08-09-2011, 07:42   #51

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

I propose we stop the stone throwing at this point. Instead, let CF do what it does best: helping a fellow sailor in need. I hope we can all provide some help for John, whether it be advice on repairing Imagine, or eventually helping him find competent crew for his 3rd try for Hawaii. We're here to help, John.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:11   #52
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Back in Panama.....AGAIN

Here is the latest from i2f - Sailing with Cancer- One Man's race against time!
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:08   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

john is awesome. he is living his dream and being tested daily , even hourly, in ways we donot be tested. he writes from his heart and mind. he makes me laugh and cry--- i only hope i am able to meet him and his lovely wife and spend some time conversing with them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:39   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
john is awesome ...
+1 Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:40   #55
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

And yes, Zee.....he does write from the heart!
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:21   #56

Boat: looking

Thanks for the "heads up" on John's latest!

John, sounds like the only move worth making. As you know, we've changed 1st leg destinations & ETDs a few times, but such is. Just pushed our ETD to end of Oct because the guy who was welding my windvane mounts can't weld Al worth sh*t & won't "rent" me his gear, so have to re-do elsewhere. No big deal, we get there when we do! Just have to watch out for my new-found friend, Sailor Jerry, who's been putting in a few too many appearances. Must be that "California State of Mind" everyone talks about. Ah well, so we'll run over the slowest of the Baja-ha-has. Are you still planning to run to Hawaii, at this point? Chances are, we'll wind up heading out the same time - March/April - & meeting up there, still. Best of luck!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:25   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
And yes, Zee.....he does write from the heart!
yeah---made my eyes water......errr leak..errr....weapy....someone i definitely want to meet--- is a positive part of this world.
Old 15-10-2011, 13:43   #58
Eternal Member

BB,

It does look like April I will be in Hawaii. It will be my birthday. Maybe we can have a rum cake, or some rum, or even some cake to celebrate? Maybe just all of it?

From my heart is all I know. It is what the truth is, and that is what I am typing about in my blog. The truth of how I feel, and what challenges greet me as I work my way through this situation. I will type about my joys, frustrations, fears, and anything else that comes along. My goal being to inspire people to go, to get off the fence to see what's over the horizon. Be it sailing, hiking, birdwatching makes no difference. Just get out there, and explore what your mind is curious about.

I'll be writing about officaldom this coming week. It's always the same, yet each time it's different.........i2f
Old 15-10-2011, 14:01   #59

please keep in touch with changes and what i need, and others, also, to look for in my coming to that part of my trip-- i will be harbor hopping to panama and then thru canal to other side of world.....
Old 15-10-2011, 14:09   #60
Eternal Member

I can do that for you. Since I left in July they have revised the fees, so it is easier to get your money back, and do the paperwork. Checking in if you know where to go is a simple process. It will be in the blog, and I will notify you when I am done........i2f

Tags
Costa Rica