Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 04:19   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Anchorages in Chesterfield Reef and North of New Cal

I'm thinking of trying the northern route from Brisbane back to Vanuatu and I'm wondering if anyone has coordinates for anchorages in Chesterfield Reef?

Also coordinates for any anchorages in Northern New Cal where I might be able to sit out adverse wind without attracting attention of the Gendamerie?

Appreciate any suggestions

Barrie
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 06:31   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Anchorages in Chesterfield Reef and North of New Cal

Hi,

Here is the entry and exit waypoints for Chesterfield Reefs. Chesterfield Reefs

I guess we didn't put the anchorage waypoint on the webpage, so I will look it up and reply again.

Chesterfield reef is one of the most incredible places...try not to miss it!

Jim
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:13   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Barrie,

The charts of Chesterfield that are in CM93 are spot on, including the location of big bommies. In normal SE winds, one can anchor anywhere along the shore of the sand keys shown on the charts (Les Trois Islots). One is not supposed to visit Chesterfield without permission, but many do so. One Canadian cruiser friend was arrested there and directed to return to Noumea for a court appearance. They chose to continue on to Oz instead. There were no repercussions, other than not being able to ever return to NC. We have heard that unofficially the French no longer care about yachts visiting, but are quite concerned about foreign fishing vessels going there. Don't know how to evaluate this rumour, but suspect that it is true.

As to your proposed anchoring in the northern parts of New Cal without checking in... do be aware that the French do both water based and aerial patrols quite regularly, and they get very cross when they find folks doing what you are contemplating.

There are plenty of anchorages, some quite good, in the Belep group. There are also plenty of inquisitive Kanaks, some gendarmes and the above mentioned flights, all of whom will very likely lead to your being discovered. Your decision... The same applies to the northern end of Grande Terre.

Making passage through Grande Passage without stopping is acceptable, and many do so regularly (including us).

Please remember that each time someone disobeys these rules and is apprehended, it makes life worse for all cruisers who follow in their wakes. Over the twenty plus years that we have been visiting NC, the French have been gradually making life easier for cruisers, reducing restrictions and simplifying procedures. Flaunting their regulations is quite counterproductive IMO, and we hope that you don't decide to do so.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-06-2014, 15:55   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbowman864 View Post
Please join the Facebook group Marinas and Anchorages. I am trying to get more members so we can all have up to date information on marinas and anchorages world wide.
Sorry, we do not do facebook.

And, FWIW, it sounds like you are duplicating the efforts of Noonsite and other established sources of info.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-06-2014, 16:52   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My log shows we anchored at Chesterfield twice-- at 19-57.60S, 158-28.62E and at 19-53.27S, 158-28.01E. Once we had to depart when the wind went SW.

We also anchored once at Huon reef, but I didn't log the position.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, cal