Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2009, 22:59   #1

Boat: 1984 CS 36
Canvas Work in Mexico ?

My wife and I are getting ready for a South Pacific sail, leaving in 12 months. We're planning on heading down through Mexico and Central America before heading west...

We're currently in the middle of preparatory projects on the boat, and one of the things that definitely should get done is new canvass work on the dodger. I'd been assuming that'd be a project we'd do here in the States before leaving, but then, in a moment of brilliance, I realized that we could probably get it done as soon as we cross the boarder into Mexico for a third the cost of what we'd pay here.

I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for good Canvass work in Mexico (the farther north the better), or any general comments. Am I close in guessing that the cost will be close to 30% of anything I'm quoted in San Francisco? Is there any reason not to think I could get high quality canvass in Mexico?
kb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 00:04   #2

Boat: Islander 36
If you already have the dodger frame you are way ahead. La Paz has a handful of canvas workers. Can't tell you anything about Ensenada, which I expect you rather hear about. But for the savings you are hoping for, I'd rather have the dodger for the trip down the California coast.

Let me rephrase that. I'd MUCH rather have the warmer, dryer comfort of the dodger for the trip. Think night passages... with rain. I am very glad I had mine for the bright sunny day coming around Los Frailes. and I didn't have to come around Point Conception.

I'm not sure if you're expecting to pay only 30% of what you'd pay in SF. I don't think that's accurate. The gringo dollar does not do what it used to. The canvas workers know how to get nearly as much as you'd pay in CA. And as far as quality goes, it's a crap shoot there as much as it is north of the border. The material cost more down there because it has to be shipped in.

1 vote for have it made before you leave.
Old 16-10-2009, 16:53   #3

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Canvas work in Mexico

Another suggestion for pricing purposes, Club Cruceros, in La Paz has a services website (Services and Goods in La Paz) that lists a series of canvas and cushion services located in La Paz. While none of these services offer websites, each has a telephone number listed. By calling (I'd recommend using Skype for the savings) one or more of these shops, describing what type of boat you have and what you're lookiing to do, they should be able to give you a ballpark estimate of the costs of doing the work. While it may not be useful to travel all the way to La Paz without the canvas work you're looking to have done, at least you'll have an idea of the potential cost savings (if any) for having the work done there.

If you should decide to have the work done in La Paz, I'd further recommend contacting La Paz Yachts (in Marina de La Paz) and ask for a recommendation for who to use.

Good luck and fair winds to you!
Neophytecruiser - Cal 39 currently in San Diego, CA
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 17:24   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
buy a roll of sunbrella in the states in a warehouse and go from there--if you have the canvas already is less spensive....gooood luck.....if you are in san diego, there is a warehouse on aero drive exit of the 15-- right across from z-whizz.....was 500 dollars a roll ---a coupla years ago....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 13:06   #5

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
[QUOTE=Minggat;347267]Let me rephrase that. I'd MUCH rather have the warmer, dryer comfort of the dodger for the trip. Think night passages... with rain. I am very glad I had mine for the bright sunny day coming around Los Frailes. and I didn't have to come around Point Conception.

you're NUTS to leave the bay without a great dodger. heck, i wouldn't even sail ON the bay without one. some of the best dodgers we've ever seen are made in s.f. area. you've got about 600nm before it starts to get warm. good sailing...
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 07:05   #6

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Mexico Canvas

I just had a new cover done in Jume in Puerto Vallarta. A local canvas guy named Jose Louise did it. Fantastic work, good design, fits tight and erally put a lot of effort in the little stuff. Chafe protection at every spot where ic could possibly rub, lots of 2 inch wide webbing for strength points etc... I had an estimate in San Diego of $5k for a similar cover, Jose did it for $2700. He comes by the boat every few weeks when I am in the states during the summer and checks the cover and if something needs adjustment, he does it. Two types of canvas work done in Mexico, expat Americans and locals. In general the expats do a better job, but cost more. If you can find a local who really has the expertise, it's a much better deal, but sometimes hard to find. Ask the local yacht folks they generally know who is good.
I will attach a photo of the cover (I hope, never done this before)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat cover.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	10680  
Old 26-10-2009, 10:55   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
If you are still in the bay area and planning on spending a little more time here, winter months are comming and many shops will do the work to keep the doors open over the winter which means lower prices to you.
We own a canvas shop up in the delta and planned to take the winter months off to head south when work slows down.. it should calm down in another month and we'll be out there with you.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger, Mexico, canvas