Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 18:55   #1

Boatyard trauma

Well, just spent 5 weeks on the hard getting a new bottom/hull paint job and servicing the wooden mast. One of the hardest projects that i have done in a while.

Here is what I learned for what it is worth to those who are contemplating a job on the hard. (I was a newbie until now).

PLAN your jobs. Make a hard plan and stick to it. It is very easy and very expensive to use the logic, "well, I already have it out of the water..." If this is your mantra, budget another lump sum to cover all that sh*t.

The other main issue costing the job ahead of time. Here I learned a valuable lesson that saved my some money.

I used Port of Port Townsend boatyard. Ahh, mixed bag here. They happily costed the job ahead of time. They were a little hard to deal with the schedule but it all worked out in the end.

BUMS took care of the paint job and I cannot say enough good things about his crew and his overall attitude.

There is a rigger on site at the boatyard, all I can say here is that if you aren't leaving a blank check behind, don't expect much. In the end, I ended up using Fisheries Supply for all my rigging needs.

Having a mast pulled, along with paint meant a good deal of scheduling between the boatyard, the crane and the rigger...I advise eliminating as many variables as possible by trying t have one entity manage the final assembly.

Good luck to anyone attempting a haul out soon! I am happily wet on the underside once again.
Alm0d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 19:13   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Boatyard trauma

Hey Ala'mode

I'm right behind you, no literally, I'm right behind you!

I've been on the hard for four months now right across from the Blue Moose Cafe.

Good advice you have there. I could have used it a few months ago
Old 18-04-2013, 20:11   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alm0d0g View Post
Well, just spent 5 weeks on the hard getting a new bottom/hull paint job and servicing the wooden mast. One of the hardest projects that i have done in a while.

Here is what I learned for what it is worth to those who are contemplating a job on the hard. (I was a newbie until now).

PLAN your jobs. Make a hard plan and stick to it. It is very easy and very expensive to use the logic, "well, I already have it out of the water..." If this is your mantra, budget another lump sum to cover all that sh*t.

The other main issue costing the job ahead of time. Here I learned a valuable lesson that saved my some money.

I used Port of Port Townsend boatyard. Ahh, mixed bag here. They happily costed the job ahead of time. They were a little hard to deal with the schedule but it all worked out in the end.

BUMS took care of the paint job and I cannot say enough good things about his crew and his overall attitude.

There is a rigger on site at the boatyard, all I can say here is that if you aren't leaving a blank check behind, don't expect much. In the end, I ended up using Fisheries Supply for all my rigging needs.

Having a mast pulled, along with paint meant a good deal of scheduling between the boatyard, the crane and the rigger...I advise eliminating as many variables as possible by trying t have one entity manage the final assembly.

Good luck to anyone attempting a haul out soon! I am happily wet on the underside once again.

Gotta say -- that was one scary thread title!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 12:26   #4

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Gotta say -- that was one scary thread title!
+1

Second ambulance in 6 months in the yard here yesterday.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 13:29   #5

That doesn't sound like "trauma", it sounds like "par for the course".
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote